Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. The reporting on these 'brain scans' forcing retirements & what they can show have been a bit misleading then.

The public are itching for a single objective test which will diagnose concussion and show the degree of damage or impairment present. No such test exists yet, and any media reporting to the contrary is a misleading oversimplification. A whole range of tests are conducted, and each put in their proper context before any decision is made. Hence the need for a panel to weigh up the relative merit of each test/indicator, and the impact of different symptoms on the athlete’s ability to perform not just their on-field role, but live a normal life beyond football.

The public are itching for a single objective test which will diagnose concussion and show the degree of damage or impairment present. No such test exists yet, and any media reporting to the contrary is a misleading oversimplification. A whole range of tests are conducted, and each put in their proper context before any decision is made. Hence the need for a panel to weigh up the relative merit of each test/indicator, and the impact of different symptoms on the athlete’s ability to perform not just their on-field role, but live a normal life beyond football.
I think the Brayshaw statement announcing his retirement probably didn't help much when they said his latest brain scan showed changes. It definitely gave the impression it was 'the' scan which forced his hand.

When in reality, as you say it was a myriad of tests & his history.

I think the Brayshaw statement announcing his retirement probably didn't help much when they said his latest brain scan showed changes. It definitely gave the impression it was 'the' scan which forced his hand.

When in reality, as you say it was a myriad of tests & his history.

Rumour is they killed him and had the Brain Bank undertake a full CTE scan before resurrecting him in the Swiss countryside during a freak electrical storm.

Rumour is they killed him and had the Brain Bank undertake a full CTE scan before resurrecting him in the Swiss countryside during a freak electrical storm.

Time Sniper strikes again.

Can someone explain to me what the Time Sniper is?

Is it Charlie Cameron? Or something else?
It began with a thread title referring to Charlie, "Time Sniper is Reported and Suspended".

However Charlie is not Time Sniper. Time Sniper is an indefinable entity that has morphed beyond the corporeal into something else.

Can someone explain to me what the Time Sniper is?

Is it Charlie Cameron? Or something else?

Boring explanation: Someone made a thread suggesting it was “Time Sniper is reported and suspended” referencing Charlie Cameron, and because the second word was erroneously capitalized, it took on the appearance of a proper noun “Time Sniper”.

Exciting explanation: Time Sniper is everyone and no-one. He is the hairs on your arms standing up. He is your racing heart. He is the realisation that everything in your life until now, was only to prepare you for this moment, and yet you can never be fully prepared…

Boring explanation: Someone made a thread suggesting it was “Time Sniper is reported and suspended” referencing Charlie Cameron, and because the second word was erroneously capitalized, it took on the appearance of a proper noun “Time Sniper”.

Exciting explanation: Time Sniper is everyone and no-one. He is the hairs on your arms standing up. He is your racing heart. He is the realisation that everything in your life until now, was only to prepare you for this moment, and yet you can never be fully prepared…
This is Time Sniper's world and we are just living in it.

This is Time Sniper's world and we are just living in it.

giphy.gif

the usual suspects GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Brain scan” is more a lay term and could mean any number of things. In the hospital I work at, “brain scan” refers to a CT scan and I can guarantee you it’s not sensitive enough to pick up the minute changes occurring in the brain of a 20-something year old player having suffered a handful of concussions.

An MRI may be able to show early atrophy of the brain, but that would be an extreme case and entirely unnecessary for a player to be suffering life-changing post-concussive symptoms.

I would guess that the battery of tests applied to the likes of Brayshaw, Murphy and McCartin include imaging techniques that show activity in various parts of the brain in response to different stimuli, along the lines of functional MRI. These functional tests allow neurologists to measure response times, “fatiguability” of responses and irritability of symptoms. Much more meaningful in the current context than a static image.
Brain scans are unreliable. Recall that a number of them didn’t identify Regan MacNeil as being possessed and we all know how it turned out

I think it's all in the really new stage and may not be totally accepted or used.

A lot of correlation in the absence of proven causality.

I've never seen Busslinger play
Has anyone seen him this year? Is his game developing? Is he genuinely worth pursuing?
He was great in the under 18's but seems to be developing very slowly. I reckon there is a go home factor involved and will probably go back to W.A

He was the same draft as Ed Allan and Jakob Ryan

I personally would love him as a 198cm full back, I am pretty sure Cal Twomey said he would be willing to stay in Melbourne.
He doesn't have a lot of interest from clubs so probably doesn't have the choice but to stay if he wants to be an AFL player.

It’s a different world now (the Footy landscape). Either total disregard for each other or it’s a new regime with Suns & Cats having a total of 7 managed players out for tonight’s game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back