Remove this Banner Ad

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is no doubt we've done unbelievably well in terms of trading and drafting given the lack of picks and players we've lost but there are concerns.

We seem to have placed too much emphasis on character, by that I mean, we've focussed on picking nice boys.

What happens when you have a bunch of nice boys? You play nice football. Bicks made a good point yesterday. It's either in your DNA or it isn't to be a competitor, to throw yourself in, to have some mongrel.

We've got some competitors but no mongrels. Our competitors are:

Greenwood
Lever
Sloane
Knight
McGovern
Brad Crouch
Kelly

Don't get me wrong the rest try and I may have missed some, but the others just play nice football.

No one in that list has mongrel though. To push an shove an opponent. To stick up for a mate. To hit someone bloody hard when you've got the chance. Well maybe Greenwood might, a 5 gamer.

FFS our women's team tackle and go in harder. That's not meant to be disrespectful but physically our men's team have been playing this game at the highest level for years and the women one year.

Then on to specific recruiting. Look this has been covered and Doedee might turn out to be a good player, but the non-selection of Burton was an absolute shocker. The kid is a gun already. He's not stuck in the twos waiting to see if he'll make it. He's gunning it at afl level and just gave our captain a bath.

My brother wasn't at the game and he sends me a text before half time that Burton is killing Tex. Then Tex bombs that 60 metre goal and I respond yeah but Burton can't do that. He replied not yet he can't but wait. Well we didn't have to wait long.

Doedee was a left field selection, a punt on someone developing into a good player. We went early because that's all we had pick wise. Well if you're going to have a punt have a punt on the local child prodigy. Yeah he may have had a bad injury but it worked okay for Lever and Trengove. That's how you get a bargain and that's what Burton would have been.

As for this year. We picked Galluci who seems like Douglas mark II. Dinky kicks, no penetration. Again he's stuck in the reserves. When will he actually start playing regular footy? 2019??

Meanwhile, Hayward has been playing all year for the Swans. He's a talent and will with his development this year be a gun in 2018. I saw him push around a Bombers player yesterday despite being a twig really. He has that competitvness.

We've picked two players that might make it and might also go home and ignored two local very talented players, both who have made it already and would not be flight risks.

We need to stop being cute with our drafting and not ignore the obvious.

Last edited:
I reckon we've drafted well, particularly at the bottom end and rookie drafts.

But our top end we've taken a few risks when safe options are better. Lever worked, Doedee might but hasn't yet when Burton was available and even Hayward who WAS a safe option. This year Gallucci was chosen and IMO will be a great player for us but there were safer options available.

We seem to take a similar philosophy with our top level picks that we do with the bottom ones. Character by all means is important but for large parts you can teach kids to be better people.

One thing in our recruiters defence is our selection policy doesn't involve them, so we don't know how good these kids are because it takes them forever to play.

There is no doubt we've done unbelievably well in terms of trading and drafting given the lack of picks and players we've lost but there are concerns.

We seem to have placed too much emphasis on character, by that I mean, we've focussed on picking nice boys.

What happens when you have a bunch of nice boys? You play nice football. Bicks made a good point yesterday. It's either in your DNA or it isn't to be a competitor, to throw yourself in, to have some mongrel.

We've got some competitors but no mongrels. Our competitors are:

Greenwood
Lever
Sloane
Knight
McGovern
Brad Crouch
Kelly

Don't get me wrong the rest try and I may have missed some, but the others just play nice football.

No one in that list has mongrel though. To push an shove an opponent. To stick up for a mate. To hit someone bloody hard when you've got the chance. Well maybe Greenwood might, a 5 gamer.

FFS our women's team tackle and go in harder. That's not meant to be disrespectful but physically our men's team have been playing this game at the highest level for years and the women one year.

Then on to specific recruiting. Look this has been covered and Doedee might turn out to be a good player, but the non-selection of Burton was an absolute shocker. The kid is a gun already. He's not stuck in the twos waiting to see if he'll make it. He's gunning it at afl level and just gave our captain a bath.

My brother wasn't at the game and he sends me a text before half time that Burton is killing Tex. Then Tex bombs that 60 metre goal and I respond yeah but Burton can't do that. He replied not yet he can't but wait. Well we didn't have to wait long.

Doedee was a left field selection, a punt on someone developing into a good player. We went early because that's all we had pick wise. Well if you're going to have a punt have a punt on the local child prodigy. Yeah he may have had a bad injury but it worked okay for Lever and Trengove. That's how you get a bargain and that's what Burton would have been.

As for this year. We picked Galluci who seems like Douglas mark II. Dinky kicks, no penetration. Again he's stuck in the reserves. When will he actually start playing regular footy? 2019??

Meanwhile, Hayward has been playing all year for the Swans. He's a talent and will with his development this year be a gun in 2018. I saw him push around a Bombers player yesterday despite being a twig really. He has that competitvness.

We've picked two players that might make it and might also go home and ignored two local very talented players, both who have made it already and would not be flight risks.

We need to stop being cute with our drafting and not ignore the obvious.

You've heard enough from all those crows supporters mates arcing up on this farcical pick of Doedee over burton besides myself for you wanting to start this thread

You might have been right, just a little over the top on Mackay but Ive been right on this one

I like your brother he knows his footy hahahahahaha

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We could have had Burton and Hayward one year after another.
Both SA talent. Who are our SA talent scouts?
Hayward could be anything. Guess we're still picking the nice blokes from interstate who stay loyal to the club. 200 gamers like Reilly and VB, you need these players for premiership success.

Let Hamish pick players 30 upwards and maybe employ knightmare to use on the pick 30 down

Those 30 upwards picks aren't going to win you a flag though our first rounders need to be the cream and prime movers ATM lever and Talia are the best two and they are defenders

Let's be honest you need your best players in the guts

I will concede we never ever get top 10 picks that's because the club would rather finish 8 th than bottom out which is ridiculous

You've heard enough from all those crows supporters mates arcing up on this farcical pick of Doedee over burton besides myself for you wanting to start this thread

You might have been right, just a little over the top on Mackay but Ive been right on this one

I like your brother he knows his footy hahahahahaha

Nah I've had enough of our passing up on obvious talent and drafting nice boys to want to start this thread.

Hayward could be anything. Guess we're still picking the nice blokes from interstate who stay loyal to the club. 200 gamers like Reilly and VB, you need these players for premiership success.
You missed Douglas and Mackay.

SA talent needs to be identified first and foremost if we took a punt on an injured lever we more than should have taken a punt on burton

Port are benefiting this year from Ebert probably playing for far less $ than if he was from interstate

I would bet you if Sloane or tex were South Ozzie we would have them on less money opening up our salary cap

They are far more loyal on memory I think we have lost one in Bock to an expansion team which is a similar case to Davis being from interstate that you can exclude both because off the ridiculous amount of cash being thrown around by a one off

Our last premierships were built on our premium players being SA and if you look at Ports their was the same

Coincidence I think not

SA talent needs to be identified first and foremost if we took a punt on an injured lever we more than should have taken a punt on burton

Port are benefiting this year from Ebert probably playing for far less $ than if he was from interstate

I would bet you if Sloane or tex were South Ozzie we would have them on less money opening up our salary cap

They are far more loyal on memory I think we have lost one in Bock to an expansion team which is a similar case to Davis being from interstate that you can exclude both because off the ridiculous amount of cash being thrown around by a one off

Our last premierships were built on our premium players being SA and if you look at Ports their was the same

Coincidence I think not

That's a bloody good point.

Let Hamish pick players 30 upwards and maybe employ knightmare to use on the pick 30 down

Those 30 upwards picks aren't going to win you a flag though our first rounders need to be the cream and prime movers ATM lever and Talia are the best two and they are defenders

Let's be honest you need your best players in the guts

I will concede we never ever get top 10 picks that's because the club would rather finish 8 th than bottom out which is ridiculous

And imagine what supporters would say when we are being smashed every week due to bottoming out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really agree. I do on the SA kids part. That's a good point There have been a few questionable picks, but if you go through every club, our drafting would stand up against most if not one of the best given the poor picks at our disposal. If you went through each club and picked out a few players that are not starring or still in reserves after a couple of years, then looked at players who were taken later in the draft, it would be damning for every club. It's easy to do this and then fail to mention the ones they got right with the average picks they had.

I would simply question the mediocre strategy of pushing for finals every year. I know it's an oldie bit it's a goodie. If you can't access high end talent, then you will rely on good rookie picks and solid late picks to bolster your squad. You want some guaranteed talented footballers with mongrel, get some top 10 picks. At the very least just get high end talented footballers who are hard at the ball.

I know this won't be popular as everyone is upset, but I just can't accept that our drafting per se has been poor.

I don't really agree. I do on the SA kids part. That's a good point There have been a few questionable picks, but if you go through every club, our drafting would stand up against most if not one of the best given the poor picks at our disposal. If you went through each club and picked out a few players that are not starring or still in reserves after a couple of years, then looked at players who were taken later in the draft, it would be damning for every club. It's easy to do this and then fail to mention the ones they got right with the average picks they had.

I would simply question the mediocre strategy of pushing for finals every year. I know it's an oldie bit it's a goodie. If you can't access high end talent, then you will rely on good rookie picks and solid late picks to bolster your squad. You want some guaranteed talented footballers with mongrel, get some top 10 picks. At the very least just get high end talented footballers who are hard at the ball.

I know this won't be popular as everyone is upset, but I just can't accept that our drafting per se has been poor.
I started the OP and said it has been good, I never said poor.

But that doesn't mean its immune to criticism. Sure there are examples of teams passing on players and they turn out to be guns, but they tend to be the reverse of what we've done. Ie if we selected Burton and passed up on Doedee who turns out to be a gun. I don't think anyone would have had an issue with that. Doedee was the unknown and no one would have expected him to go so high, s**t happens.

But we did the opposite, we ignored the obvious standout local talent in Burton and went early on a punt. The punt has been injured and when not injured is playing reserves, the obvious talent has had two great games against us and might win the rising star.

We did the exact same thing with Galluci and Hayward.

Those decisions are open to scrutiny.

Last edited:
It's hard to say about going for SA kids first. We do that and we take Durdin over Lever. In the end it may just come down to how big the talent gap between the players is when deciding.
Not really a comparison. Lever was a known gun who slipped due to injury, there were doubts about how good Durdin was.

Everyone knew Burton was a gun but had injury concerns. We backed in Lever who we are now fighting to keep and didn't do the same for the local.

Hamish is in Vic where he lives. His "local" push is for Tasmanian kids as thats his home state.
Its like he deliberately doesnt want to take local kids.

Fair on Sloane, but the is no go home factor at all for Tex - essentially he is a South Aussie.

In a way yes but in a way no, not being from Adelaide it would have been easy for tex to move

If you're from Adelaide with family and friends it makes it far easier to want to be here as in any business you could get paid more interstate but the majority of people stay for that very reason of family friends and lifestyle

But we did the opposite, we ignored the obvious standout local talent in Burton and went early on a punt. The punt has been injured and when not injured is playing reserves, the obvious talent has had two great games against us and might win the rising star.
The really dumb thing is we knew because of the knee we would be getting him cheap, same deal as Lever, and we need bargains.

Now I hear all this talk "oh but once he gets older his knee will go on him".

Well really, who gives a damn. If we get 6 years out of a good Victorian and he pisses off home, what is the difference?

If Doedee actually does live up to the hype of all those who see one intercept mark in the SANFL and think "oooh just you wait, once he really learns how to play..." we'll be starting up a "Re-signing Tom Doedee" thread in 2,3 years time.

(I hope he does live up to that hype, but again, see the discussion about McGovern. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take such punts, but you do it at pick 43 and the difference as well is we didn't have a local McGovern still in the draft begging to be picked)

Burton beat OUR CAPTAIN on the weekend.

The Crows need to pick Doedee and show us what he can do or use him in a trade package at the end of the year.

That we took him at pick 17 is an indictment on the club, and the argument that "oh that was our last pick" is no excuse at all. Cripes, look at the NBA draft. Boston had the top pick and they traded down to get the player they wanted at the price they wanted.

The problem is we are as sociable in the trade market as we are on the field - we get pushed around and we let it happen so we seem nice and the hope that teams will do deals with us in the future.

It's hard to say about going for SA kids first. We do that and we take Durdin over Lever. In the end it may just come down to how big the talent gap between the players is when deciding.

Every case needs to be looked at individually it's not a blanket policy remember hammish gets paid full time to discover this talent what was he getting paid for in February and what us he getting paid for going to work this week

It's not a months work and taking a punt or is it

In a way yes but in a way no, not being from Adelaide it would have been easy for tex to move

If you're from Adelaide with family and friends it makes it far easier to want to be here as in any business you could get paid more interstate but the majority of people stay for that very reason of family friends and lifestyle

Yes, but I would say he is as much a local as a kid from say the Riverland or Eyre Peninsula - not an Adelaide local per se, but the ties are pretty firm. And certainly nothing to drag him elsewhere - which is what really lifts the dollars IMO. But I see your point.

The really dumb thing is we knew because of the knee we would be getting him cheap, same deal as Lever, and we need bargains.

Now I hear all this talk "oh but once he gets older his knee will go on him".

Well really, who gives a damn. If we get 6 years out of a good Victorian and he pisses off home, what is the difference?

If Doedee actually does live up to the hype of all those who see one intercept mark in the SANFL and think "oooh just you wait, once he really learns how to play..." we'll be starting up a "Re-signing Tom Doedee" thread in 2,3 years time.

(I hope he does live up to that hype, but again, see the discussion about McGovern. That doesn't mean we shouldn't take such punts, but you do it at pick 43 and the difference as well is we didn't have a local McGovern still in the draft begging to be picked)

Burton beat OUR CAPTAIN on the weekend.

The Crows need to pick Doedee and show us what he can do or use him in a trade package at the end of the year.

That we took him at pick 17 is an indictment on the club, and the argument that "oh that was our last pick" is no excuse at all. Cripes, look at the NBA draft. Boston had the top pick and they traded down to get the player they wanted at the price they wanted.

The problem is we are as sociable in the trade market as we are on the field - we get pushed around and we let it happen so we seem nice and the hope that teams will do deals with us in the future.

Burton was effectively a top 10 pick going cheap if not top 5 because of the fact he hadn't played for a year considering the club isn't prepared to bottom out the only way they are getting top 10 picks is this way as they did with lever

Doedee was just an out of the box selection personally I think Hamish was thinking he was better than everyone else and went for an outside selection which is fine when going for picks above 30 but first rounders are cherished and should be used wisely

I think hammish wants to show that we should have a broad attitude and not just look at SA kids but the go home factor is so big this is a stupid attitude

As much as to suggest we went Lever in front of Durdin we went Doedee infront of burton

Remember Hamish gets paid to do this job you didn't need to Einstein to see how good burton was as for lever he was predicted as a top 10 aswell they were no brainers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back