Analysis Our Drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not that Doedee wont make it, he may well. The reality is we took someone with a first round pick who was lucky to be rated a late second at best. If he was taken with a late second you wouldnt be too upset with what he has shown. But he hasnt shown a first round level of quality.

People are starting to realise hammish F Ed up on this one

I hope he hasn't made the same mistake on Galluci

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we can go after SA talent, because there isn't enough SA telent to go around at the moment. Whether that's due to population, grassroots problems or a statistical cycle is another story.

Other clubs who finish lower on the ladder pick off what little South Australian talent there is. We must then draft interstate kids who are, ultimately, all flight risks to an extent. Meanwhile, because there aren't that many SA players out there, there are few precious few players like Gibbs wanting to come home.

I don't think we can go after SA talent, because there isn't enough SA telent to go around at the moment. Whether that's due to population, grassroots problems or a statistical cycle is another story.

Other clubs who finish lower on the ladder pick off what little South Australian talent there is. We must then draft interstate kids who are, ultimately, all flight risks to an extent. Meanwhile, because there aren't that many SA players out there, there are few precious few players like Gibbs wanting to come home.

You obviously don't go silly but if the decision isn't clear cut you weigh up the options

For example you wouldn't have picked Ben Jarman over Galluci but would you have gone for Hayward

These guys are full time paid staff they have plenty of time to think and talk about it they have all bloody year

Its not that Doedee wont make it, he may well. The reality is we took someone with a first round pick who was lucky to be rated a late second at best. If he was taken with a late second you wouldnt be too upset with what he has shown. But he hasnt shown a first round level of quality.

Look, in two years time if he is floundering in the reserves after having a decent run with injuries, go your hardest. There is no rule out there that states all first rounders (not to mention pick 17) will have a good impact from at least their second year. Players develop at different rates depending on many variables, some uncontrollable (injuries).

I just don't think it's unreasonable to give a few years for draftees before we make a call on their ability? Especially someone with limited football experience? I've seen him live 3 times and he does have some stand out attributes but he's obviously raw. It's not as if we're waiting for him to show SOMETHING.

I also think it's unfair to state that a player wasn't 'rated' by bigfooty therefore why did we go so hard so early, when our drafting has such a quality record? You're questioning the recruiters ability to spot talent (in the long term in this case) when they've proven to be quite good at it. Sorry but based on drafting results, I'm gonna give Doedee a chance before I rule him 'not worthy of pick 17'.

Look, in two years time if he is floundering in the reserves after having a decent run with injuries, go your hardest. There is no rule out there that states all first rounders (not to mention pick 17) will have a good impact from at least their second year. Players develop at different rates depending on many variables, some uncontrollable (injuries).

I just don't think it's unreasonable to give a few years for draftees before we make a call on their ability? Especially someone with limited football experience? I've seen him live 3 times and he does have some stand out attributes but he's obviously raw. It's not as if we're waiting for him to show SOMETHING.

I also think it's unfair to state that a player wasn't 'rated' by bigfooty therefore why did we go so hard so early, when our drafting has such a quality record? You're questioning the recruiters ability to spot talent (in the long term in this case) when they've proven to be quite good at it. Sorry but based on drafting results, I'm gonna give Doedee a chance before I rule him 'not worthy of pick 17'.
The point is we shouldnt be having this conversation, and our back line should consist of Talia, Lever and Burton.

If we'd drafted Burton and Hayward would we be playing them?

I don't think we would.

I don't think there's a problem with our drafting. Gallucci took a better grab in his debut than all our players except McGovern have taken in their entire career. I heard Tom Lynch speak last year and he was raving about Doedee.

The problem is we don't get them in the team. We are too hung up on continuity, rewarding tenure, valuing experience and being seduced my our 6th-8th placed reasonable performances.

The problem for 10+ years is that we do not use spots 21 and 22 in our team to help develop and fast track our raw talent. We use Mackay and Wright and Skipworth and Kelly or whoever to fill those spots. We pay no mind to developing the next star player. They sit in the reserves until 'they are ready' whenever that is.

Ok, so when there is an opportunity like next years draft where there is three SA kids primed for the top 10 or even 5 would you want our club to go all out to get the draft picks needed to get one, or just accept that we never get a chance at them and so we just draft the next Geelong local kid?

You've missed the point

Pav v McGregor

We f Ed up on this in itself probably cost us a premiership

McGregor was however AFL capable but that's all he was capable

Burton v Doedee

Looking like the same mistake

I don't think we would.

I don't think there's a problem with our drafting. Gallucci took a better grab in his debut than all our players except McGovern have taken in their entire career. I heard Tom Lynch speak last year and he was raving about Doedee.

The problem is we don't get them in the team. We are too hung up on continuity, rewarding tenure, valuing experience and being seduced my our 6th-8th placed reasonable performances.

The problem for 10+ years is that we do not use spots 21 and 22 in our team to help develop and fast track our raw talent. We use Mackay and Wright and Skipworth and Kelly or whoever to fill those spots. We pay no mind to developing the next star player. They sit in the reserves until 'they are ready' whenever that is.

In the last two years we have played Milera Menzel Hampton rob gov Galluci beech Greenwood as AFC debutants

I would rate burton in what I've seen above all of them even Greenwood this kid has true class

He would easily have got a gig

I don't think we would.

Yep. And look at a side like Sydney, who have blooded something like 13 youngsters over the past 18 months, while we're at Gov, Lever and Milera as the only true debutants we've given a shot (probably Greenwood going forward too), and little tastes to ROB, Gooch and Beech which probably amounts to little.

For a side that doesn't like to bottom out, you'd think we'd want to have a side that is constantly developing and evolving. Instead we sit on them for too long and then panic when we might have to use them with a "I dunno if they're ready, they don't have any AFL experience!".

I've said before that guys like CEY or Grigg can get 6 years on a list with only 10 games is awful. We don't give them a chance and then sit on them for so long that we never find out if they've got anything or not and if they don't, we're wasting years "developing" guys who won't ever be anything.

Hey, at least they've given Kelly some games this year. We know what he is. Solid backup, but nothing spectacular. There's nothing wrong with that, every side needs backup and we know if we desperately needed to use him we can, but why not throw Doedee in now and see if he can be better? Surely with Talia, Hartigan, Brown and Lever there we can afford a bit of inexperience?

Yep. And look at a side like Sydney, who have blooded something like 13 youngsters over the past 18 months, while we're at Gov, Lever and Milera as the only true debutants we've given a shot (probably Greenwood going forward too), and little tastes to ROB, Gooch and Beech which probably amounts to little.

For a side that doesn't like to bottom out, you'd think we'd want to have a side that is constantly developing and evolving. Instead we sit on them for too long and then panic when we might have to use them with a "I dunno if they're ready, they don't have any AFL experience!".

I've said before that guys like CEY or Grigg can get 6 years on a list with only 10 games is awful. We don't give them a chance and then sit on them for so long that we never find out if they've got anything or not and if they don't, we're wasting years "developing" guys who won't ever be anything.

Hey, at least they've given Kelly some games this year. We know what he is. Solid backup, but nothing spectacular. There's nothing wrong with that, every side needs backup and we know if we desperately needed to use him we can, but why not throw Doedee in now and see if he can be better? Surely with Talia, Hartigan, Brown and Lever there we can afford a bit of inexperience?

You do realise Sydney we're forced to they had more injuries than an emergency department

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniels was the big one we missed, if we had him we would be clear on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb Daniel is decent but he's not that good that he'd send us to the top of the ladder.

He's a handy link in the chain because he is skilful and smart with the footy - he'd be an upgrade on DMac due to this and not much more.

Defensively however - he is a liability. We criticise Mackay for his arm flailing "efforts" when trying to tackle but Daniel is just as bad, if not worse. He gets swatted away like a fly due to his size. You're severely overrating him.

You do realise Sydney we're forced to they had more injuries than an emergency department

This year, but they still debuted 6-7 guys in 2016, Papley, Mills, Aliir, Hewett and Marsh. They debuted Hayward, Florent, Melican and Newman this year because of injuries, but they're still in the side with Jarrad McVeigh and Tippett (who is being replaced by Reid back from injury) as the only injured player you'd think would be back in.

They have Papley, Newman, Florent, Melican, Hayward, Mills and Hewett in their win last night.

This year, but they still debuted 6-7 guys in 2016, Papley, Mills, Aliir, Hewett and Marsh. They debuted Hayward, Florent, Melican and Newman this year because of injuries, but they're still in the side with Jarrad McVeigh and Tippett (who is being replaced by Reid back from injury) as the only injured player you'd think would be back in.

They have Papley, Newman, Florent, Melican, Hayward, Mills and Hewett in their win last night.

We were kissed on the D with injuries this year and last Sydney still copped some

We would probably have used more if we had copped injuries to our perceived top 22 and they have been rather resilient

Port on the other hand copped it big time last year

We were kissed on the D with injuries this year and last Sydney still copped some

We would probably have used more if we had copped injuries to our perceived top 22 and they have been rather resilient

Port on the other hand copped it big time last year

If we copped an injury to Douglas, would we go for Mackay/Thompson as the replacement or Wigg/Gallucci/Poholke?

If we had Kelly injured, would we keep Otten in the side or would we pick Doedee?

If we are forced, we'll go back to the most senior player(s) every time.

When the chance to play Wigg arrived last year against the Gold Coast we used it as an opportunity to bring VB back in instead. When we had a game against Essendon last year we didn't bring ANYONE in and thought that it was still better to play Sauce for some reason (who then hurt himself) instead of playing ROB. Through that 3 game period were we played Essendon, Fremantle and Brisbane (and won every game by 70+ points) we decided to use it as a chance to give 2 games to ROB (forced by playing Sauce against the Bombers) and 1 game to CEY. There is such a conservative selection policy it's crazy at times.

If we copped an injury to Douglas, would we go for Mackay/Thompson as the replacement or Wigg/Gallucci/Poholke?

If we had Kelly injured, would we keep Otten in the side or would we pick Doedee?

If we are forced, we'll go back to the most senior player(s) every time.

When the chance to play Wigg arrived last year against the Gold Coast we used it as an opportunity to bring VB back in instead. When we had a game against Essendon last year we didn't bring ANYONE in and thought that it was still better to play Sauce for some reason (who then hurt himself) instead of playing ROB. Through that 3 game period were we played Essendon, Fremantle and Brisbane (and won every game by 70+ points) we decided to use it as a chance to give 2 games to ROB (forced by playing Sauce against the Bombers) and 1 game to CEY. There is such a conservative selection policy it's crazy at times.

We've had limited injuries and you can see why they haven't pick the youngsters

I'm not defending their policy by the way I'm just seeing their logic

They wait to long no doubt CEY should have been in all of last year and Wigg is having a great year

The problem is they don't just wait for the players to knock on the door they make them bash it down

Some of the players simply aren't ready though that you have mentioned

As for this year. We picked Galluci who seems like Douglas mark II. Dinky kicks, no penetration. Again he's stuck in the reserves. When will he actually start playing regular footy? 2019??

You haven't obviously seen enough of Gallucci because you are totally wrong if you think he doesn't have a penetrating kick, he most certainly has a penetrating kick. My only knock on his kicking was more his goal kicking where he tended to spray them, field kicking was fine.

Wouldn't have been my preferred pick because I thought we would have targeted a bigger bodied mid and the two most likely that were still available were Powell-Pepper and Jarrod Berry who have both played plenty of AFL midfield in their 1st year and are showing they are going to be good players.

I think our recruiters may have been seduced by Galluci's athleticism and top end speed....I think he'll be a good player but at this stage I'm not seeing a midfielder, I think he's more a HFF/Wing/HBF type.

You haven't obviously seen enough of Gallucci because you are totally wrong if you think he doesn't have a penetrating kick, he most certainly has a penetrating kick. My only knock on his kicking was more his goal kicking where he tended to spray them, field kicking was fine.

Wouldn't have been my preferred pick because I thought we would have targeted a bigger bodied mid and the two most likely that were still available were Powell-Pepper and Jarrod Berry who have both played plenty of AFL midfield in their 1st year and are showing they are going to be good players.

I think our recruiters may have been seduced by Galluci's athleticism and top end speed....I think he'll be a good player but at this stage I'm not seeing a midfielder, I think he's more a HFF/Wing/HBF type.
My take on Gooch was Pyke wants athletic, skilled, multi dimensional players (ironically someone like Gibbs) SPP too one dimensional for Pykes tastes.

We've had limited injuries and you can see why they haven't pick the youngsters

I'm not defending their policy by the way I'm just seeing their logic

They wait to long no doubt CEY should have been in all of last year and Wigg is having a great year

The problem is they don't just wait for the players to knock on the door they make them bash it down

Some of the players simply aren't ready though that you have mentioned

It's not even about them being "ready" to be permanent fixtures, but giving guys a shot. Gooch may not be ready for full time action, but we should be giving him a few games where we can to speed him along. Wigg looks ready, but we couldn't even muster 1 game for him last year and he'll be out the door for a pick in the 70's at the current rate, which is a total waste of investment.

How can anyone say our drafting has been excellent when it is obvious that our players are physicAlly incapable of competing with physical teams and finals like pressure. Who decided the strategy to draft short people was a good idea.

The decision to take doedee in the same year we lost a Victorian while over looking the local kid reeks of incompetence and extreme arrogance. Ogilvie hasn't had a good 2 years.
Yeah Keath and Greenwood are awful, so is Milera. He's doing just fine, but there's always room for improvement.

My take on Gooch was Pyke wants athletic, skilled, multi dimensional players (ironically someone like Gibbs) SPP too one dimensional for Pykes tastes.
SPP maybe one dimensional but Berry is definitely not, I've seen Jarrod play Back, forward and mid all at a very high level in the previous 2 years, and whilst not as quick as Gallucci he's plenty fast enough and very gifted athletically with elite endurance. Won AA selection as an under ager playing as a running back for Vic Country.

SPP maybe one dimensional but Berry is definitely not, I've seen Jarrod play Back, forward and mid all at a very high level in the previous 2 years, and whilst not as quick as Gallucci he's plenty fast enough and very gifted athletically with elite endurance. Won AA selection as an under ager playing as a running back for Vic Country.
I actually hoped we'd pick Berry just because I had a dream that we would, which I also had about Jake Lever too.

I was hoping I could get my own TV show like John Edwards if it happened. Could have given me my own segment on the Crows Show at worst. Alas, it was not to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back