Pakistan series Test Squad discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring in Marsh for Maddinson.

We made the call to bring back Wade so should give him the series before deciding whether or not we need to re-evaluate that decision.

Maddinson would be the first to go. Its fine because Shaun Marsh has played far more cricket in the middle order anyway and was a makeshift opener.

Which Marsh?

How many more Shield games before the series begins?

I'd expect same XII - neither Marsh is Test-quality and gotta back in those kids who've just been part of a winning team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harsh on Shaun Marsh

Two test centuries in Asia and a test century on a quick and bouncy Centurion track.

He had that one incredibly bad series against India about 5 years ago now but apart from that his test record is really quite good.

Plus everything indicates that he has to play in India.

Probably name the same squad but add Shaun Marsh. If fit, he comes in for Maddinson....if not, then Maddo gets another chance.

Keep Bird and Sayers so there's flexibility with the bowling options.

I suppose there's still a chance for someone to make a case for No 6 (e.g. Head made a good 100 this round) to take Maddinson's place if Marsh isn't fit. Hopefully Starc and Hazelwood get some rest during a few of the ODIs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have one eye on the 5 test series in India coming up.

Forget about Cummins/Pattinson etc.

We need to have 2 extra leg spinners in the test squad as Pakistan and India have no difficulty with fast bowlers and offies on flat tracks.

I think we need both eyes on pakistan, we really can't learn anything about how people are going to handle indian turners while playing at home especially at home at the gabba with a pink ball at night.

We are just starting what could be a long rebuild and reality is no matter who we select we are still going to get destroyed in india so for me the only thing that matters is making sure we don't also get thumped at home by pakistan.

I think we need both eyes on pakistan, we really can't learn anything about how people are going to handle indian turners while playing at home especially at home at the gabba with a pink ball at night.

We are just starting what could be a long rebuild and reality is no matter who we select we are still going to get destroyed in india so for me the only thing that matters is making sure we don't also get thumped at home by pakistan.

Agree. If any of their players dig in like they did in England, it could be an interesting series.

why is faulkner not a consideration for test matches? I would have thought he was out best all rounder and has been for a long time.

He'd be a walking wicket at test level. Has a great eye but the technique of a tail ender IMO. Doesn't have a single shield hundred either. Has to be in the top four bowlers in Australia to get a game.

May as well pick Mitch Marsh again if we were going to pick Faulkner.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should have one eye on the 5 test series in India coming up.

Forget about Cummins/Pattinson etc.

We need to have 2 extra leg spinners in the test squad as Pakistan and India have no difficulty with fast bowlers and offies on flat tracks.

Many finger spinners have done very well in the sub continent. The problem with Lyon is extra bounce is perhaps his greatest weapon, something he gets less of in India.

It's not a leg spin vs off spin thing. You have to bowl a different way in the sub continent to get wickets as a spinner. Warnie doesn't even have a good record in India from memory. If you want to go back the other way, Ashwin has struggled in Australia. Need to bowl differently to get wickets in different conditions, something our spinners don't seem capable of doing*.

*most spinners in Australia aren't good enough for test cricket in any conditions

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I really hope we don't start adding surplus spinners to squads in preparation for India.

I'll say it again - the Indian batsmen would have a field day with the 2nd rate spinning options.

In: Marsh
Out: Maddinson

XI
1. Renshaw
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Marsh
7. Wade
8. Starc
9. Hazlewood
10. Bird
11. Lyon

Based on watching two sessions of play, and highlights:

Renshaw - Provides exactly what we need at the top (Stonewall) to protect our fragile middle-order. Concerned he lacks the ability to work singles and will frustrate Warner into stupid shots through starvation of the strike. Locked in for next series.
Warner/Khawaja/Smith - WYSIWYG. A known quantity, and "good enough".
Handscomb - Something about his backfoot dominant play concerns me - a very different style to our other bats. Liked his patience at the crease, and another very safe.
Maddison - Still don't see anything other than a great eye. Would prefer his NSW compatriot, Patterson.
Marsh/Faulkner/Maxwell/etc - I think Maxwell is actually the best bat of our potential all-rounders, and his bowling is somewhat under-rated. If Smith is unable/unwilling to bowl himself, I'd like a reserve spin option for the sub-continent to provide proper rest for our strike bowlers.
Wade/Neville/Whiteman - Only a matter of time - Almost expect Neville back in for O'seas tour. Still looking to fix this position long term, and Whiteman appears the best bat of the "good" keepers.
Starc/Hazelwood - WYSIWYG.
Lyon - Does not bowl well without bounce as his weapon. Smith doesn't seem to have faith and uses him far too defensively. None of our spinners are going to go well in Asia, so Lyon almost by default. Would like to see Agar/Holland/etc have a full shield season of current performances. One to tour.
Bird/Sayers/Pattinson/Cummins/Siddle/etc - Still an issue. Pattinson and Cummins the best, but unable to string games together. Concerned the others will be toothless on dry wickets without much traditional swing. Prefer someone reliable for economical pressure building but feel our attack lacks the potency to succeed in Asia.

S Marsh should be required to get through a full shield game before being considered for test selection. If he does that, comes in for Maddinson and bats at five.

Having said that, can I throw something up for discussion? Renshaw and Khawaja to open, S Marsh at three followed by Smith with Warner at five and Handscomb at six.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back