Pakistan series Test Squad discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really squad discussion, but more on the series - Do we think CA will demand some roads for this one? It'll not only negate Pakistan's bowling (although they can also bat all day in the right conditions), and give us a better chance of winning (or at least not looking foolish), but more importantly, might guarantee CA some more money and another 5-day Test or two.

So far, they've missed out on a few days revenue already this summer:

1st Test vs. South Africa - 413.2/450 overs bowled, over at tea time on day 5.
2nd Test vs. South Africa - 193.5/450 overs bowled, over before lunch on day 4 (no play at all on day 2 due to rain).
3rd Test vs. South Africa - 323.2/450 overs bowled, over at dinner time on day 4.

Potentially 419.3 overs of play "missed" overall, which is another 4 1/2 days of play and revenue. Will this be a consideration? Should this be a consideration?

If we go back to roads then we have to accept that our batsmen won't develop the skills they need to perform anywhere outside those aussie roads and our bowlers will be broken by the end of the summer, nearly every side around the world makes pitches to suit their strengths and then they back themselves to outplay the opposition so for me it would be nuts to give the best pace attack in the world pitches they love but then when they leave go back to roads.

Shaun Marsh has an average of 53.50 over his last 10 Test innings. Surely he walks back into the side ahead of Maddinson.

Is he planning on staying fit this time? That is the issue with Marsh, plays 2 tests, gets injured, rinse and repeat. Waste of time, might as well find a young bat that won't break down every 4 weeks.

Is he planning on staying fit this time? That is the issue with Marsh, plays 2 tests, gets injured, rinse and repeat. Waste of time, might as well find a young bat that won't break down every 4 weeks.
understand youre point but dont neccessarily think breaking a finger is what you would class as "breaking down" just a bit of harsh luck

Funny thing is they talk about the rejuvenation of the squad and really besides a 50 from Handscomb the new guys did Jack. As did Wade and Bird. It was the old guys who did it all.
As mundane as it was in the context of the result, Renshaw surviving those 12 overs on the first evening were good signs for a debutant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Renshaw and Handscombe should both stay as they showed they’ve got the ticker for Test cricket. Maddinson only had one crack and it would be unfair to rule him out so quickly, but he seems like a continuation of previously failed selections based on potential (see: Mitch Marsh) and how good he looks while batting (see: Shaun Marsh). When he came out to bat, I was listening to the Channel 9 commentary (because I hadn’t synched it with the ABC Grandstand commentary yet) and Clarke was on saying stuff like “I think the Australian public is going to enjoy watching this guy bat” and “Nic’s got all the shots in the book”. Instant cringe. I’d rather hear comments about how he makes the bowler get him out and/or he has patience in spades. We don’t need Test cricket to be about flash and dash. The game goes for 5 days! Give me grit and determination (like what Khawaja showed) any day of the week.

I didn't agree with the decision to drop Nevill for Wade, but the selectors have made their bed on that one and Wade probably didn't do enough to be dropped after 1 chance. I'd much rather Nevill go to India though, so hopefully he's back in the Test team before the end of the summer.

Funny thing is they talk about the rejuvenation of the squad and really besides a 50 from Handscomb the new guys did Jack. As did Wade and Bird. It was the old guys who did it all.

To a point. I'd argue Renshaw - while as excruciating to watch as Tavare - survived a late-night spell in the first dig and then anchored the run chase in the second.

With our previous lineup, we would have been 2/6 at stumps on Day 1.

Why didn't you also mention his 6 wickets from the game?

Because he's never going to be good enough to be in the frontline attack. Allrounder is his go. For that he needs runs.

Mind you he'd be better than Mennie at least as a bowler

Let's wait until Marsh takes 50 wickets in a Shield season at an economy rate of less than 3 an over (like Minnie did last year, when he was the best bowler in Shield cricket) before we make that call, shall we?

Do people think Bird has done enough?
Bowled a poor first spell and from then on bowled very well.. as per NZ got better as he went. His FC numbers over a number of years are prolific and his test record - without ever being allowed continuity - is very solid. His action comes over the top and he lands the ball in that shoebox a la Alderman.. with movement. Should really have never been more than 1 spot out of the starting 11 IMO. Sometimes feel he suffers for being unfashionable on a few levels..

If Mennie was given an extended run I'd be fairly confident he'd be able to do better than 0.8 wickets an innings at 37.

Mennie getting an extended run would give me nightmares.

Marsh should be bowling more though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back