Pendlebury injured, cooked, as good as ever or just getting better?

Where is he at in 2018?

• Injured

• Cooked

• As good as ever

• Just keeps getting better

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

How much if any do you think this has to do with Buckley?
Not a lot, i think the major factor is support, IMO he was at his best when he had Swanny doing the heavy lifting, Swan also inspired the side and was clearly our true leader, i think the captaincy became a lot harder when we lost him.

Most of us Pie fans don't think much of Pendlebury as a leader, he isn't fit to lick Maxwells toe jam as a captain IMO, but what really scares me is there's no one on our list to replace him, Adams is highly regarded as a leader but IMO he wouldn't get a game for a genuine top 4 team.

As for Buckley, well, all i can say is Hines recruitment strategy seemed to change the same time Buckley took over, so did his strike rate.

Last edited:

He's injured and cooked, get it right OP.

Seriously though he hasn't lived up to the promise he had IMO, was on track at one stage to be the leagues premier mid, would struggle to be top dozen now.
Pretty harsh on one of your own who has 5 All Australians and another 3 appearances in the 40-man squad.

I guess the disappointment probably comes from the sense that he was 26 for his last AA year and entering his prime years you guys probably thought he may go to another level again but in actual fact he has actually dropped off through the period most players peak.

First game I ever saw him play was 2007 drawn final with our lot where you overran is in extra time. Watched it in a bar in Dublin and aside from a few Eagles game hadn't seen any football all year due to travelling so had no idea who he was. Spent the whole game screaming who the * is this campaigner #10 nobody totally destroying us.

Not a lot, i think the major factor is support, IMO he was at his best when he had Swanny doing the heavy lifting, Swan also inspired the side and was clearly our true leader, i think the captaincy became a lot harder when we lost him.

Most of us Pie fans don't think much of Pendlebury as a leader, he isn't fit to lick Maxwells toe jam as a captain IMO, but what really scares me is there's no one on our list to replace him, Adams is highly regarded as a leader but IMO he wouldn't get a game for a genuine top 4 team.

As for Buckley, well, all i can say is Hines recruitment strategy seemed to change the same time Buckley took over, so did his strike rate.

Pretty much agree with all of this.
Swanny made those around him better and did quality work both inside and outside.
Pendles doesn’t appear to inspire as a leader but this is subjective and very hard to assess when you are not inside the club day to day. Also agree Maxwell did appear a very good leader. Always amused me the crap he copped from fans because he wasn’t a ‘superstar’ player, great players don’t automatically make great leaders, and vice versa.
Don’t know much about Adams and don’t see too many others who are obvious for the role next, but I wouldn’t know so it’s just as likely there are a few good leaders ready to step up.
The recruitment and game plan under Buckley is a strange one. You would think a heavy focus on recruiting running midfielders would lead to a game plan of speed, skilful and precise delivery. What I see is a lack of speed, average disposal and a bomb it long approach.

Basically let down by his situation. The only A+ midfielder in a team with 7 B+ mids. Feel bad for him but he is one of the top 10 of his generation.
Still elite when disposing in traffic. Not good defensively. Finding more of it behind center so not really having the hurt factor he had in recent years. Not going to write him off because i rate him higher than swan. Lets see him in the coming weeks

Interesting random stats:

Career Kicking Efficiency, Active Players (Minimum 50 games played, 20 disposals per game, 1.0 kick-to-handball ratio, 35%+ contested possessions)

1. Luke Hodge (70.3)
2. Scott Pendlebury (69.3)
3. Jordan Lewis (66.5)
4. Anthony Miles (66.1)
5. David Mundy (65.9)
6. Joel Selwood (65.5)
7. Bryce Gibbs (65.5)
8. Marc Murphy (65.4)
9. Nathan Jones (64.3)
10. Gary Ablett (64.2)
11. Rory Sloane (63.5)
12. Ryan Griffen (63.4)
13. Jack Redden (63.3)
14. Callan Ward (63.1)
15. Luke Shuey (63.0)
16. Bernie Vince (62.9)
17. Dayne Zorko (61.9)
18. Harley Bennell (61.3)
19. Dayne Beams (60.7)
20. Marcus Bontempelli (60.6)
21. Dyson Heppell (60.6)
22. Ed Curnow (60.1)
23. Tom Rockliff (59.7)
24. Jack Steven (59.5)
25. Taylor Adams (59.2)
26. Kieren Jack (59.0)
27. Dustin Martin (58.7)
28. Travis Boak (58.7)
29. Dion Prestia (58.2)
30. Brad Ebert (57.7)
31. Jaeger O'Meara (57.4)
32. Patrick Dangerfield (57.0)
33. Nathan Fyfe (56.7)
34. David Swallow (56.6)
35. Trent Cotchin (56.4)
36. Stephen Coniglio (56.0)
37. Robbie Gray (55.8)
38. Toby Greene (54.4)

Only 38 players in the league qualify under the criteria presented. I feel like it's a good indication of guys who get the ball and kick frequently, under a reasonable amount of pressure, and this emphasises just how skillful and how good a decision maker Pendlebury has been over his career. Truly one of the best players and ball users of the last 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Interesting random stats:

Career Kicking Efficiency, Active Players (Minimum 50 games played, 20 disposals per game, 1:0 kick-to-handball ratio, 35%+ contested possessions)

1. Luke Hodge (70.3)
2. Scott Pendlebury (69.3)
3. Jordan Lewis (66.5)
4. Anthony Miles (66.1)
5. David Mundy (65.9)
6. Joel Selwood (65.5)
7. Bryce Gibbs (65.5)
8. Marc Murphy (65.4)
9. Nathan Jones (64.3)
10. Gary Ablett (64.2)
11. Rory Sloane (63.5)
12. Ryan Griffen (63.4)
13. Jack Redden (63.3)
14. Callan Ward (63.1)
15. Luke Shuey (63.0)
16. Bernie Vince (62.9)
17. Dayne Zorko (61.9)
18. Harley Bennell (61.3)
19. Dayne Beams (60.7)
20. Marcus Bontempelli (60.6)
21. Dyson Heppell (60.6)
22. Ed Curnow (60.1)
23. Tom Rockliff (59.7)
24. Jack Steven (59.5)
25. Taylor Adams (59.2)
26. Kieren Jack (59.0)
27. Dustin Martin (58.7)
28. Travis Boak (58.7)
29. Dion Prestia (58.2)
30. Brad Ebert (57.7)
31. Jaeger O'Meara (57.4)
32. Patrick Dangerfield (57.0)
33. Nathan Fyfe (56.7)
34. David Swallow (56.6)
35. Trent Cotchin (56.4)
36. Stephen Coniglio (56.0)
37. Robbie Gray (55.8)
38. Toby Greene (54.4)

Only 38 players in the league qualify under the criteria presented. I feel like it's a good indication of guys who get the ball and kick frequently, under a reasonable amount of pressure, and this emphasises just how skillful and how good a decision maker Pendlebury has been over his career. Truly one of the best players and ball users of the last 10-15 years.

High kicking efficiency = choosing the safe option.

When will people understand this stat??

A kick is also counted as effective for the purposes of kicking efficiency if they kick more than 40m to a contest rated 50:50 or better.

The fact that the list also only includes players with 35% or more contested possessions also means that your statement is untrue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, degree of risk is just one aspect

The fact that Pendlebury, with career contested possessions at 41%, maintains over 69% kicking efficiency fully supports this statement ....

II feel like it's a good indication of guys who get the ball and kick frequently, under a reasonable amount of pressure, and this emphasises just how skillful and how good a decision maker Pendlebury has been over his career. Truly one of the best players and ball users of the last 10-15 years.

...which we all intuitively know to be true anyway

I suspect you are getting all defensive about Dusty. Funnily enough, Dusty has a lower contested possession share than Pendles....but certainly Dusty I'm sure has a lot higher share of his kicks being long, dynamic kicks....he has also had a shorter portion of his career as "elite" at this stage

This. Got his premiership medal early in his career so maybe lost a bit of hunger but his prime years were wasted in a crap team led by a crap coach.

Don’t blame him if he has somewhat checked out and doesn’t give a sh!t, just like I have in watching the team.

Hmmmmm

Back