Player Watch Pick #7 (2012) - Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines was dislodged by Toumpas being bumped from the top 3. The Doggies loved Stringer and needed an outside mid (Macrae) to complement their group. Hey presto, pick 7.

Melbourne should have taken wines and left Jimmy to us, the world would have been a nice place then :) Hopefully Ollie is as good anyway.

It's all done now so go team OLLIE

Even if the Dees had skipped Toumpas, Dogs would've taken him

Toumpas would not have gone past the bulldogs. Exactly the type of player they would want.

Yep, some bitter Dogs fans when Melbourne tanked their way into picking Toumpas. :)

Stringer looked like a beast in the top 10 line up. He is going to hurt people.

Hope so mate :)

Back on topic, what I like about Wines is his disposal is better than most pure inside players like Clay Smith and the like. Good chance to win the Rising star next year.

Fascinating. I had thought of that clip and this one that some relic would post...

Didn't pick you to go the UB40, Ford!

This is mine:

Could there be a bit of a Rich comparison with him? Leg speed a query allowing him to slide? But did Ollie slide (By my definition is due to a flaw in his style of play) or did he drop because of unexpected selections?

He didnt slide. He only dropped due to selection circumstance. He was locked in at 4 until GWS decided to take O'Rourke instead of Toumpas. Similar to how Salopek fell from being a locked in Saint at 3 to falling to us after Carltons picks were taken away the day before the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating. I had thought of that clip and this one that some relic would post...

Here, I'll show you relic ... Oliver, consider yourself part of the family! :thumbsu:

With all of the Wines puns, we've missed out on the potential for Ollie jokes.

'So Ollie, how do you feel about being drafted?'
'I LOVE FOOTBALL!'
'Thanks Ollie'.

5319.gif

Really happy with Wines as a prospect. He'll be able to do the only thing Matt Thomas is apparently good at, which is making space for his fellow mids, while also being an elite stoppage player.

Watch how easy he makes it for the likes of Boak, Hartlett and Broadbent to run and spread and break away from stoppages as he develops.

Exactly what we needed.

Good get guys, of the top 10 he looks with probably Stringer to be most round one ready.

I wouldn't have been disappointed if we picked him.
Thanks Ant for the neutral input.

Club captains normally ring new recruits to welcome them to their new club. You'd be pretty stoked to get a phone call from Chris Judd, Jobe Watson, Gary Ablett or Luke Hodge.

But what was the reaction when Dom called our recruits. I don't know who you are and how did you get my mobile number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back