Competitions PIEMAN 2017 - The Final Wrap-Up

Remove this Banner Ad

PIEMAN Rd 23 and End of Season Wrap-Up

Thanks to everyone who participated in the Pieman for 2017. It was an absorbing contest (if you happen to like pie fights) and at half time in our final game of the season only 18 points separated first from third on our live leaderboard. It was the tightest finish we’ve had in six seasons of the Pieman.

Firstly the Pieman Player credits:

The Pieman Player of the Week was once again Bailey Dale with 88 points. The top 4 (i.e. the best score you could get this week without a banker) were worth 269 points.
upload_2017-8-27_14-50-53.png

The Pieman Player of the Year was also Bailey Dale – very comfortably – with 748 points. This was based on his pre-season handicap of 44, although curiously nobody selected him in their pre-season Pieman team. Those who rode him to success picked him up in the mid-year trade period. He would still have been PPotY even if we’d used his trade handicap of 32.

The top 4 in the PPotY were worth 2128 points.
upload_2017-8-27_14-51-18.png

Dale is obviously one of the few bright spots in a pretty dismal year and has been touted as our most improved player, but it’s easy to forget now that he only came into the side in Rd 6, got dropped next week and then got picked again in Rd 8. Not many here warmed to him until about Rd 9 or 10. His first goal for the year came in his fourth game in Rd 10, just before the bye (and the Pieman trade period). So it’s really only the second half of the year that he has come on. Anyway it’s been a big year for him – what with reaching puberty and all. Well done to the kid!

The KELVIN

No limping over the line for our leader. @jaxie1 (240) finished the season with a flourish winning his third Kelvin for the year. In fact the top four this week were also the top 4 in the overall Pieman leaderboard, so they clearly proved their credentials right down to the wire.

In second place this week was Hard Ball Get (192) with Cudi (186) and ossie_21 (186) tied for third.

Here’s the honour roll for Kelvins this year:
3 - Vinegar Mess and jaxie1
2 - StringyDog The Original Swooper and dogwatch
1 - grassman75, Northern Dogs, Struggle, Easty, Fossie 32, Hard Ball Get, lateniter, Th3 DoG FaTh3R, TedDougChris, Wocka, theAthenian, Metal​

The PIEMAN

In the end jaxie1 got there comfortably but it wasn’t looking like that at half time. Second half goals to Dale (2), Liberatore and McLean put the issue beyond doubt and the winning margin was 132 from Cudi (2150) and Hard Ball Get (2141) with ossie_21 (2123) also close up. Vinegar Mess (2088) who led for most of the season was right in it at half time but eventually finished fifth.

Jaxie’s season is a lesson in not despairing too early in the season. At the mid-season bye he was still 47th out of 56 entries and he only entered the top 10 in Rd 17. His team at the start of the season hardly covered itself in glory. It was Macrae, Cloke, C.Smith, McLean, Dickson and Picken. In the trade period he upgraded two of those (McLean and Picken) and swapped out three others, giving him his winning combination of Dickson, Wallis-T1, McLean-T1, Liberatore-T1, Dale-T1 and Picken-T1. The paths of Cudi and Hard Ball Get were not as dramatic but were also good examples of needing to be patient. Cudi finished 2nd overall but didn’t get into the top 10 until Rd 18.

upload_2017-8-27_14-58-56.png

Alas for Mike__ (756) patience was of no benefit. He couldn’t find a goalkicker this week and took out the wooden pie spoon. Don’t worry mate, over time we doggies supporters have got pretty familiar with the phrase “there’s always next year”.

So here’s the updated honour roll of Piemen over the years:

We’ll do it again next year although I’ll be overseas for some of the season. I’m sure we can make it work even if results will be a bit slow some weeks.

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome but I’m inclined to keep it pretty similar to 2017. I like the idea of only having a limited quota of bankers as it adds an intriguing tactical layer to the comp. However it would not be hard to change it to allow your banker selection to be ANY player, not just those in your team. That could help those who have lost players to LTI, suspension, etc and it would also introduce more tactical options.

Congrats to jaxie1 and thanks again to all participants.

FINAL STANDINGS – PIEMAN 2017

Average score for 2017: 1466.4

Median score for 2017: 1409.5

upload_2017-8-27_15-2-30.png

Thanks dogwatch, can't believe I was right in the mix up to the end as halfway through the year most of my players were out or down on form for one reason or another

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back