Player banned for life after punching umpire

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banned for life is pretty harsh. I would have said something like a 5 year ban still sends a strong message, whilst still leaving the door open for a second chance at a future date. Can understand that others will disagree.
He may have a case to answer for regarding assault charges but that is for the courts to decide.

Banned for life. Not much else you can do. Can’t have that going on under any circumstances.

I would question though, how much footy has that young umpire has played himself? Giving a red card for abuse just doesn’t seem right.

Banned for life...bare minimum.

Police involvement is an iffy one....There is a legal exception to assault for sporting contests, where the contact is covered by the game, even if outside the rules, the idea being that the game will deal with it and it needn't go any further...free kicks, reports, etc. The idea being that those involved consented to such contact, even the 'illegal' stuff. This is more a matter of custom and precedent rather what is written in the law itself though.

Clearly an umpire wouldn't have had any expectation of contact, so you could argue that the exception doesn't apply. (This is why the AFL is pretty anal about contact with umps...although personally I think they should be harsher).

On the other hand, the sporting comps would be very careful not to set a precedent opening the door to legal action for on field events, because there is no telling where that could end up, both for further assault cases and legal liability.

Banned for life. Not much else you can do. Can’t have that going on under any circumstances.

I would question though, how much footy has that young umpire has played himself? Giving a red card for abuse just doesn’t seem right.

Depends on the abuse, who it's directed at, what their instructions were, and how the game was going.

I was an umpire at around that age, and while I'd been doing it a bit longer than this guy, not playing didn't mean you didn't have the feel for the game.

Depends on the abuse, who it's directed at, what their instructions were, and how the game was going.

I was an umpire at around that age, and while I'd been doing it a bit longer than this guy, not playing didn't mean you didn't have the feel for the game.

I think there’s no substitute for having played the game.

I agree the devil would be in the detail, but red cards aren’t really borne of our game, so I’m not much of a fan to begin with. I could concede they may have a place, but for abuse? Well that just seems a little fragile to me.

I think there’s no substitute for having played the game.

I agree the devil would be in the detail, but red cards aren’t really borne of our game, so I’m not much of a fan to begin with. I could concede they may have a place, but for abuse? Well that just seems a little fragile to me.

Back when I umpired we didn't have cards, but I can tell you that when you're umpiring you see and are involved in a lot more of the game than most players. Perspective is different to be sure, but you still get a good feel for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back