Players of yesteryear, who would be stars today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I somehow caught a replay of a game back in 1996 between North and St Kilda the other day.

A couple of things stood out to me....

Firstly, individual acts of high-level skill were common. Common to the point of seeing Nicky Winmar break free from a clearance with the pill in one hand, take a bounce whilst drawing away from the bloke chasing him, then hit Stewie Loewe on the tit with a 55m pass - and it barely rating a mention from the commentators, and had the crowd merely clapping in their seats.

These days, Judd does something similar and it's on the front page of the Herald-Sun the following morning.

There's no doubt the defensive nature of the game today has robbed us of this aspect of the game.

The other thing that occured to me, which is the point of this thread, was that Rod Keogh was an average/sort of good footballer back then.
However, watching him play I realised how ahead of his time he was.
He'd almost be a top 10 player in the comp if he was playing the game today.

Not that he was underrated back then, moreso that the way he played the game back then wasn't really rated the way it is today.

He tackled like a demon, had very good footskills (only a left foot though) and was in almost every single contest! The way he hit packs and contests was incredible.

I reckon if you were to put a kid in front of the TV who had only ever seen AFL footy from the past year or two, he/she would probably assume that he was a superstar of the comp.
However at the time, he was only rated a 'decent player', or thereabouts.

So, who else from 'the old days' (and that term will vary from poster to poster) was ahead of their time? Who had attributes that weren't valued that highly back then, but are worth gold today?

Gavin Brown had versatility that would be far more valuable these days. Although he was a dead set legend in his time, I think in the "modern" game he would have been even more effective

Loved Rod Keogh.

Also loved Dean Greig who was a similar player, especially when he snotted Gavin Brown with a beautiful left hook right on the bonce.

Gavin Brown had versatility that would be far more valuable these days. Although he was a dead set legend in his time, I think in the "modern" game he would have been even more effective

Brown was more a 'Collingwood legend' than a 'dead set legend' of his time.

There's been plenty of them over the years.

However I do agree, he would be an ideal player in the modern game.

Brown was more a 'Collingwood legend' than a 'dead set legend' of his time.

There's been plenty of them over the years.

However I do agree, he would be an ideal player in the modern game.

Yes Brown was a Collingwood legend, but I'm not so sure where he would fit in the modern game.

The fitness regime now is such that players need to be able to keep continually running and we don't know if players like Brown and others, who would now at best be small forwards, could have adapted.

Like everything you can only measure against the peers and not against other generations, although I feel confident that the true legends like Coleman, Whitten, Skilton and Matthews would have been superstars in any generation.

Maurice Rioli was miles ahead of his team-mates in both thinking and movement.

He would be every bit the gun player he was then if he played today

Maurice Rioli was miles ahead of his team-mates in both thinking and movement.

He would be every bit the gun player he was then if he played today
Rioli and Stephen Michael would be a scary combination, especially when you think about Sandilands and Michael as a ruck combination. The thought of these two in Freo jumpers makes me a bit sad at heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim watson

I 2nd that..

i remember his stint between 1980 & 1986 where he was the best & certainly most consistent player in the league - if watson played a good game, essendon won. no one in the league could run with him.

won a lot of bets on them in those days.

One thing to note is that the 'talls' of yesteryear weren't actually that tall by modern standards, so you'd need to reposition them.

'Big Nick' John Nicholls, Carlton great and resting ruckman in the AFL team of the century was only 189cm tall ( and 108KG!!! )

Neil Balme, Richmond ruckman in the 70's was 194cm. - these days he might make it as a key forward, but he's at the short end for that.

Royce Hart, one of the greatest CHF to play the game was 187cm & 89Kg. About an average midfielders size these days.

Jack Dyer, a great player and dominant ruckman of the 30's and 40's was 185cm.

So, who else from 'the old days' (and that term will vary from poster to poster) was ahead of their time? Who had attributes that weren't valued that highly back then, but are worth gold today?
Fraser Brown was the prototype for Dane Swan.

Mad Dog could bash punters and get smashed on the weekend, then come out and get 40 touches without missing a trick.

Koutoufides was before his time with his ability to play every position bar the ruck. Would be a quicker version of Goddard minus a monster kick.

Reckon Mil Hanna would be a handful today with his size, speed, marking, long kicking and versatility. The Cranium was the prototype for modern AFL players with his bald scone.

Not sure if anyone remembers David Grant?

Played for the Saints then went to Melbourne I think, right at the end of his career.

He was 'handy', back in the day. But I reckon if he was to play now he'd be a top 10 defender in the comp.

He was a very good contested mark, super fit and had a beautiful kick. Played a bit of a '3rd man up' type of role back then, which was a bit ahead of his time. And could swing forward and pinch a goal or two when needed. He was super brave.

He'd have made a great utility in the modern game.

The two that come to mind instantly are Carey and Ablett. For obvious reasons. Then again, those two could have been just as effective in 1910 as they would be in 2010.

the hands in the back rule and no arm chopping would be an advantage to some of the monster fwds, not sure if they'd have the defensive side to em though needed in todays football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back