Players who need to have big seasons in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Milera and Fogarty for us. Both super talented.

Milera needs an injury free run then needs to find a position.

Fogarty is still a young forward, but has the size and talent to start having a proper impact. Needs to get fit and trim down a bit.
Fogarty super talented? Your kidding aren’t ya.

Agreed that he was crucial to both flags, although mostly 2019. I think in 2020 his biggest factor was due to our team structure and the role he was playing IE. providing a forward target + taking multiple defenders.

Despite this I don't think he had a great year. He was wayward in front of goal and I think the constant scrutiny got into his head - comes with the 'big Vic club' package I suppose.

By every key metric he had one of the poorest years in 2020 > low figures in stats like goals and marks, even when adjusted for reduces quarters.

For a guy who kicks at about 63% accuracy (excluding OOTF) he went at 54% in front of goal in 2020, missing several easy ones.

I'd like to see him get his mojo back and play the way he did in 2019 > aggressive without the silly stuff, confident, arrogant even. And I want to see him bring down more grabs and kick more goals. Should be aiming for a 50+ goal season easily.

Might be that Richmond see the key stat for Tom is as they have nearly stated. That is, the number of opposition players that are neutralized each time Tom contests. Say this is two defenders and one onballer. Tom would meet his indicator with Rioli the player to lift in the area of hitting the scoreboard. This assumes that Castagna's role is primarily forward defensive.

My observation on Dan is that he has a developed a centre of balance problem - slips a bit more than in previous years and hesitates more often as a result. I have strong memories of Dan being instinctive and with clean pick up and disposal. Balance could be affected by surface conditions but more likely foot or footwear issue. Some psychological (confidence) adjustments also come into play. Some things to work on over the preseason.

One of Mitch Lewis, Jon Patton or Tim O'Brien needs to stand up in a major way to become a consistent key forward at Hawthorn. I think time might be up with O'Brien (although he gives more glimpses than the other two) but we are crying out for some physical presence in our forward 50.

Adelaide - Darcy Fogarty
Brisbane - Cam Rayner
Carlton - Jack Silvagni
Collingwood - Ned Guy
Essendon - Aaron Francis
Fremantle - Connor Blakely
Geelong - Luke Dahlhaus
Gold Coast - Brayden Fiorini
GWS - Jeremy Finlayson
Hawthorn - Tom Scully
Melbourne - Jake Lever
North Melbourne - Luke Davies-Uniacke
Port Adelaide - Orazio Fantasia
Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins
St Kilda - Jack Billings
Sydney - Callum Mills
West Coast - Jack Petrucelle
Western Bulldogs - Patrick Lipinski
You can't be serious with Dahlhaus. He plays his role week-in-week-out

You can't be serious with Dahlhaus. He plays his role week-in-week-out
He started excellently with Geelong but he's definitely dropped away as time has progressed. He's failed for them in finals (along with some others) but has shown previously that he can deliver in big games, just needs to find that extra level again. Needs some consistency because he can be huge for Geelong

Jaidyn Stephenson
Tom Mcdonald
Josh Caddy
Dyson Heppell
Sam day
Paddy Dow
Stephen Hill
Tom Scully
Lance Franklin
Luke Shuey
Jeremy Cameron
Josh Dunkley
Seb Ross
Rory Sloane
Conor rozze
Dayne zorko
Brodie Grundy
Jeremy finlayson

Agree with most - Zorko finished 5th in b and f in a top 4 side. He is going ok.

I'll try something different and nominate one from each club:

Adelaide - Jeez this is tough... maybe Chayce Jones?
Brisbane - Hipwood. Feel like he's still showing glimpses. Daniher as a 2nd.
Carlton - Cripps. Controversial but if Carlton want to play finals he needs to be better than 2020. McGovern as a close 2nd.
Collingwood - Sidebottom. Let the club down this year, needs to repay the faith. De Goey as a close 2nd.
Essendon - Stringer
Fremantle - Fyfe if they want to play finals.
GWS - Coniglio. Self explanatory really.
Gold Coast - Ben King
Geelong - Jezza Cameron
Hawks - Scully
Melbourne - Benny Brown
North - Ziebell
Port - Another tough one as most of their players performed... maybe Rozee??
Richmond - Daniel Rioli or Sydney Stack
Sydney - Franklin and Heeney
St Kilda - Billings or Gresham
West Coast - Tim Kelly
Western Bulldogs - Internally we would like to see a big season from Bailey Dale. Bruce as a mainstay best 22 needs to lift.
You have basically picked one of the best players from each team to step up. Takes more than a superstar to win games my friend.

We have a few and I interpret need as list spot is in jeopardy if improvement isn’t evident:

McGovern is a talented flash in the pan who doesn’t seem to work hard enough

Dow has fallen off the pace and doesn’t seem to run both ways

O’Brien is a good prospect who seems to be falling on the depth chart and struggling for opportunity

Kennedy has been rookied out of convenience and seems to be between positions, mid or forward, needs to find a home.

There are others who need to lift for different reasons: Charlie Curnow, Silvagni, SPS, Harry, Eddie but their spots are not at risk.

You have basically picked one of the best players from each team to step up. Takes more than a superstar to win games my friend.

Didn't realise Chayce Jones, Scully, Ziebell, Bailey Dale, Rioli, Stringer, Hipwood, Sidebottom, Billings, Ben Brown were the best players in their teams.

Didn't realise Chayce Jones, Scully, Ziebell, Bailey Dale, Rioli, Stringer, Hipwood, Sidebottom, Billings, Ben Brown were the best players in their teams.
Most would be regarded as ONE OF the best though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd Marshall

Needs to resume his from that he had early in the year before he broke his finger, otherwise Georgiardis will take his spot.

Connor Rozee

Next he’ll be moved out of the forward pocket and played as a high half forward/midfielder and needs too show what he can do

I'll try something different and nominate one from each club:

Adelaide - Jeez this is tough... maybe Chayce Jones?
Brisbane - Hipwood. Feel like he's still showing glimpses. Daniher as a 2nd.
Carlton - Cripps. Controversial but if Carlton want to play finals he needs to be better than 2020. McGovern as a close 2nd.
Collingwood - Sidebottom. Let the club down this year, needs to repay the faith. De Goey as a close 2nd.
Essendon - Stringer
Fremantle - Fyfe if they want to play finals.
GWS - Coniglio. Self explanatory really.
Gold Coast - Ben King
Geelong - Jezza Cameron
Hawks - Scully
Melbourne - Benny Brown
North - Ziebell
Port - Another tough one as most of their players performed... maybe Rozee??
Richmond - Daniel Rioli or Sydney Stack
Sydney - Franklin and Heeney
St Kilda - Billings or Gresham
West Coast - Tim Kelly
Western Bulldogs - Internally we would like to see a big season from Bailey Dale. Bruce as a mainstay best 22 needs to lift.

Rozee does need to have a big season but his lack of form wasn’t his fault, he was being played in the forward pocket to hide his ankle injury when he isn’t even a forward pocket and his injury hampered his running ability.

Very stiff to have Rozee in there. He was injured for most of this year and playing injured/hampered for most the season after having an excellent first year.

For Port I would say;

Todd Marshall: Has been in the system a few years now and was given a consistent run of games this year. Time to take that next step now and have a greater impact/goals

Fantasia: We all know his deal with injuries he needs to prove he can overcome and again make an impact

Burton: Needs to overcome his injury issues and prove his worth. With Jones coming in through the draft and the addition of Aliir, if he can’t stay on the park he may loose his spot full stop if he can’t stay fit

Motlop: Has been very inconsistent since coming over too us. Adding Fantasia and having Williams/Bergman waiting on the side will add more pressure for him to improve

Pressure for spots in our 22 will be at its highest for a long time. Few players need to improve to keep holding their spot
Marshall is the big one for me if he doesn’t show up he will find himself out of the side and on the trade table. Your right about rozee he was hidden in the forward pocket and had no running ability because of his ankle.

i think people acknowledge that brad hill is playing just as well as he always has. just that his contract doesnt reflect that level of performance.
Finished top 3 in Freo's B&F in each of his 3 seasons there (including winning one), but didn't come top 10 for us this year and his numbers were well down.

Definitely needs to lift in 2021.

Not the first time i've picked on him in a thread.
But Taylor Garner has had as many chances as Wood and Daw but is still on the list.

In fairness at least when he is on the grass he plays well.
I can see Collier-Dawkins getting delisted without a game.
For hawks I'd say Lewis. Our list is ******* dog crap though so alot need to lift or they'll get north melbourne treatment

There's plenty at the Eagles which is to be expected after two underwhelming years post flag.

Jarrod Brander's future as an Eagle is probably on the line in 2021. I'm almost certain he'd get a second shot at another club because the raw potential is there but I think we'd look to cut our losses if he has a poor year (we'd get significantly less than his #13 draft position if we were to trade him).

Playing for their careers in the AFL are Brandon Ah Chee and Brayden Ainsworth. I can't see either of these guys getting picked up by another club if we cut them (Ainsworth still hasn't got a contract for 2021 so might not even get that far). Another who should be playing for his career is Jack Petruccelle but he has the luxury of a contract till 2023. Regardless, he is going to have to crack into the best 22 soon or I don't see it happening. To be honest, I'll be surprised if there is much more top level football in either of those three - Petch is maybe an outside chance to forge a lengthy AFL career. Neither of them are quite there really.

Young guys ready to step up to a medium level of seniority - Jake Waterman and Oscar Allen. Neither are in even the remotest danger of being shown the door so it's not "need a big year" in that sense, but they both probably lose the tag "he's young and brings a lot of energy, enthusiasm and potential to the team" in 2021. If they don't lose that tag in 2021, they certainly do for 2022. Barring injury or dramatic form loss, both should be 200-gamers for us, but the next couple of years will determine if those games are at a Justin Koschitzke level (solid contributors) or a Josh Kennedy level (elite footballers). My likely scenario is Waterman finishing somewhere pretty close to the middle of the two JK's but I think Allen can go all the way and be an AA level key forward.

Older guys who may get retired earlier than they hoped - Jack Redden and Mark Hutchings. Both played significant roles in 2018. Hutchings has been delisted and re-rookied so it's obvious his career is on it's last legs. Redden is still a contributor, but at 29 his output has dropped down quite a lot - even taking into account reduced quarters - and he's now clearly at best our #6 midfielder and a long way shy our fifth best (Sheed). That trend is only likely to go in a downwards direction. He is out of contract at the end of next year, has never been a top tier player that the club might feel it owes something to (we probably would if, say, Shuey was in the same position) and it's hard to see the club seeing any value in having a depth midfielder who turns 31 coming into the 2022 season. Could go down the Hutchings delisting/re-rookie path this time next year.

Last edited:
On top of the above, there are three players who didn't play in 2020 that are at a crossroads. Nathan Vardy (29 and a bad run with injuries), Daniel Venables (21 and a bad run with injuries) and Willie Rioli (25 and currently suspended). At this stage, Vardy is long odds to be retained beyond 2021 but the low number of ruckman on our list may save him. Unlikely to play unless there is a couple of injuries. Venables is well talented, but at some point will need to get on the park - just six games since the 2018 grand final. Rioli is obviously well in the clubs plans and is contracted to 2022, but his future is completely dependant on what happens with ASADA.

Todd Marshall - needs to be far more physical and inject himself longer in games

Steve Motlop - lots of competition for small impact forwards at Port

Orazio Fantastia - port got the trade done. Pressure to get body right and be consistent. Same competition with Motlop, Woodcock, Farrell, Williams, etc

Pete Ladhams - Hayes nearly ready for AFL football and a talent

Ollie Wines - got the big contract. Time to show consistency

I just hope Treloar has a brilliant year

Has he ever been brilliant? Sorry, but I just can’t see a player with 2 dodgy hamstrings suddenly producing a “brilliant“ year.

Daniel Rioli gets my nod.

Has he ever been brilliant? Sorry, but I just can’t see a player with 2 dodgy hamstrings suddenly producing a “brilliant“ year.

Daniel Rioli gets my nod.

No not really. He did however do a "brilliant" kick to Gloves McGovern with a few minutes to go in the 18 GF that "brilliantly rebounded" to the other end to Sheed . I hope he has a brilliant year not that he has prior, but more to rub some salt into the Pies for being douchebags in how they treated him.

Not sure what to make of Daniel Rioli, seems like he plenty of talent, but certainly does not have that X Factor that Cyril and Willie posses. I think he lives in a pretty big shadow considering his last name.

There's plenty at the Eagles which is to be expected after two underwhelming years post flag.

Jarrod Brander's future as an Eagle is probably on the line in 2021. I'm almost certain he'd get a second shot at another club because the raw potential is there but I think we'd look to cut our losses if he has a poor year (we'd get significantly less than his #13 draft position if we were to trade him).

Playing for their careers in the AFL are Brandon Ah Chee and Brayden Ainsworth. I can't see either of these guys getting picked up by another club if we cut them (Ainsworth still hasn't got a contract for 2021 so might not even get that far). Another who should be playing for his career is Jack Petruccelle but he has the luxury of a contract till 2023. Regardless, he is going to have to crack into the best 22 soon or I don't see it happening. To be honest, I'll be surprised if there is much more top level football in either of those three - Petch is maybe an outside chance to forge a lengthy AFL career. Neither of them are quite there really.

Young guys ready to step up to a medium level of seniority - Jake Waterman and Oscar Allen. Neither are in even the remotest danger of being shown the door so it's not "need a big year" in that sense, but they both probably lose the tag "he's young and brings a lot of energy, enthusiasm and potential to the team" in 2021. If they don't lose that tag in 2021, they certainly do for 2022. Barring injury or dramatic form loss, both should be 200-gamers for us, but the next couple of years will determine if those games are at a Justin Koschitzke level (solid contributors) or a Josh Kennedy level (elite footballers). My likely scenario is Waterman finishing somewhere pretty close to the middle of the two JK's but I think Allen can go all the way and be an AA level key forward.

Older guys who may get retired earlier than they hoped - Jack Redden and Mark Hutchings. Both played significant roles in 2018. Hutchings has been delisted and re-rookied so it's obvious his career is on it's last legs. Redden is still a contributor, but at 29 his output has dropped down quite a lot - even taking into account reduced quarters - and he's now clearly at best our #6 midfielder and a long way shy our fifth best (Sheed). That trend is only likely to go in a downwards direction. He is out of contract at the end of next year, has never been a top tier player that the club might feel it owes something to (we probably would if, say, Shuey was in the same position) and it's hard to see the club seeing any value in having a depth midfielder who turns 31 coming into the 2022 season. Could go down the Hutchings delisting/re-rookie path this time next year.

Have to disagree with regarding Brander. He is a future gun, Key Position players tend to take a bit longer to get up and going. There are exceptions ( Oscar Allen for example) but most key position players tend to take a bit. He was recruited as a key forward . I think Brander has a lot of upside and is taking a little long, but I don't think he is in the most danger of losing his spot if he does not have a blinder of year. I think Cole, Nelson, Ah Chee, Hutchings (unless they use him primarily as a tagger then he is already elite) , Redden and Petch are in more danger than Brander. Your right about Waterman and Oscar. Oscar is future captain material and Waterman will have Lecca like numbers by the time he is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back