Draft Watcher PMBangers 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually can't recall a bid where I've thought 'That was out of spite wasn't it?' even Mosquito and Coleman there was a need for that sort for Essendon, Silvagni was a nothing pick to match anyway as well. I just don't get where the idea of bidding for the sake of bidding comes from
I wouldn’t be surprised if Adelaide bid on Jones with the giants pick, though at the same time he’s a sa boy and extremely talented. Doddoro was always keen on Mozzie and Coleman and apparently watched them both many times in person.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Adelaide bid on Jones with the giants pick, though at the same time he’s a sa boy and extremely talented. Doddoro was always keen on Mozzie and Coleman and apparently watched them both many times in person.
The Jones bid makes sense to me as a best available, add the SA and round 1 ready, it's a no brainer

The only examples are the Carlton bids on Henry and Green to buy trading time - but they would have been more than happy with either.
I think it is an assumption that they would have been happy with either, especially Henry. That bid seems like at the very top of his range if not early. Looks to me much more like draft strategy than an actual attempt to get the player.

I think it is an assumption that they would have been happy with either, especially Henry. That bid seems like at the very top of his range if not early. Looks to me much more like draft strategy than an actual attempt to get the player.
It may have been slightly earlier than expected for Henry, but it wasn't really outside his range, and he was a type Carlton were desperate for, so still would have been a reasonable choice even if he weren't tied to Freo

It's pretty much splitting hairs, the determining factor for was that Powell is winning more ball more often and finding ways to hit the scoreboard, and thats an element of Trews game that isn't as refined, would've been good to see both at senior level to see how they do against mature bodies and how the numbers track through the grades, but I think both end up solid Best 22 players at the next level

Thanks for that. From the vision I’ve seen Powell might be a better accumulater but Trew appears to be a bit cleaner by foot. Is that fair?

Another comparison for you: Henry versus Ford? These two will likely be available around our picks. I could see us taking one. Henry obviously the local boy with a brother at the club might swing it his way. But if you ignore that, how do you compare the two?

Thanks for that. From the vision I’ve seen Powell might be a better accumulater but Trew appears to be a bit cleaner by foot. Is that fair?

Another comparison for you: Henry versus Ford? These two will likely be available around our picks. I could see us taking one. Henry obviously the local boy with a brother at the club might swing it his way. But if you ignore that, how do you compare the two?
I can't personally notice much difference in their kicking but it could well be there, positionally though I'm not too worried if they're pinpointing targets, just expecting them to get first hands on and get it to a better ball user regardless

Henry and Ford is a difficult one, I'm very high on Ford compared to and think that his likely role is as a big bodied midfielder that rests forward, whereas Henry is going to be a medium marking target up forward or an undersized intercept defender. I really would've liked to see Henry run through the middle a bit this year just to see what he could do there, and Ford similarly was one to watch getting more midfield time. Up forward, I think Henry could be somewhat like a taller Toby Greene as a guy that can mark higher and better than his height would suggest and is just as adept at ground level, and his ability to play backline just as well means he's a plug and play type, whereas Ford I'd be playing forward and midfield exclusively, so it doesn't give you much room to play around with. In saying all that, I think Henry is the safer option of the two, but I'd say Fords ceiling is a bit higher

I can't personally notice much difference in their kicking but it could well be there, positionally though I'm not too worried if they're pinpointing targets, just expecting them to get first hands on and get it to a better ball user regardless

Henry and Ford is a difficult one, I'm very high on Ford compared to and think that his likely role is as a big bodied midfielder that rests forward, whereas Henry is going to be a medium marking target up forward or an undersized intercept defender. I really would've liked to see Henry run through the middle a bit this year just to see what he could do there, and Ford similarly was one to watch getting more midfield time. Up forward, I think Henry could be somewhat like a taller Toby Greene as a guy that can mark higher and better than his height would suggest and is just as adept at ground level, and his ability to play backline just as well means he's a plug and play type, whereas Ford I'd be playing forward and midfield exclusively, so it doesn't give you much room to play around with. In saying all that, I think Henry is the safer option of the two, but I'd say Fords ceiling is a bit higher

That’s my assessment as well. That Ford certainly has more midfield potential - not sure how about his tank or ability to accumulate though? Henry more your true flanker or medium forward. I think his Geelong connection would probably sway it his way if they were flipping between the two. Both have tricks - though I think that Ford might play with a bit more flair.

Think GC will decide between Lake or Jeffery but not both, list spots are very tight and some of their academy kids played extremely well in the Qafl grand final. The one that misses out maybe a bargain for another side
Sorry just saw this comment, with Lake v Jeffery I wouldn't be shocked to see Lake get that prelist spot above Jeffrey now if there's only one they're planning to give out, overall I think Lake is better performed in a better standard comp (SANFL 18s) than Jeffrey is, there's a lot of X Factor and Potential to Jeffrey admittedly and he has his fans, but if I'm picking, especially as a club from a Northern State, I'm going with Lake who's now lived in 3 states and proven he's up to the standard. Either way the suns go I agree that the rest of the comp is going to be pretty happy, both players should get drafted and I'd say they're both in consideration from 15 on wards in an open draft setting

An early Campbell bid is classic Bigfooty wishful thinking. Bid successfully on Ugle-Hagan and you get a top-3 quality player. Bid successfully on Campbell and a top-3 quality player slides to Sydney.
Of course - but these posters aren't suggesting a bid in the hope of getting Campbell.
I rate Campbell as high as anyone in this draft. There’s every reason to believe there would be multiple clubs who rate him in the top few. If port had pick 3, I would be ecstatic to land him.

I actually can't recall a bid where I've thought 'That was out of spite wasn't it?' even Mosquito and Coleman there was a need for that sort for Essendon, Silvagni was a nothing pick to match anyway as well. I just don't get where the idea of bidding for the sake of bidding comes from

I wouldn’t say a spite bid but definitely the Sydney bid on Jackson mead has a few question marks around it.

Teams trade up during the draft to target a player.

It’s a bit dubious a team traded up in a draft to bid on a player that would obviously be matched. They may have rated mead around that mark enough to bid but I don’t think he was the intended target of that trade. Add in that the trade was with our cross town rivals.

They obviously traded up for gould.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Campbell as high as anyone in this draft. There’s every reason to believe there would be multiple clubs who rate him in the top few. If port had pick 3, I would be ecstatic to land him.

I wouldn’t say a spite bid but definitely the Sydney bid on Jackson mead has a few question marks around it.

It’s a bit dubious a team traded up in a draft to bid on a player that would obviously be matched. They may have rated mead around that mark enough to bid but I don’t think he was the intended target of that trade. Add in that the trade was with our cross town rivals.

Thought that straight away when it happened live, after that trade with the crows. Wonder which team will bid on Jones this draft lol.

My understanding is that we rated Mead as a medium forward who could go in the middle, and we wanted one of those from the 2019 draft, which is why we picked Elijah Taylor a little later, but Gould was pretty high on our board so when Mead didn't work out we went for Gould and focused on getting somebody like Taylor later on

My understanding is that we rated Mead as a medium forward who could go in the middle, and we wanted one of those from the 2019 draft, which is why we picked Elijah Taylor a little later, but Gould was pretty high on our board so when Mead didn't work out we went for Gould and focused on getting somebody like Taylor later on
Mead isn’t a medium forward in the afl lol.

I’m not sure you could find two more dissimilar players than mead and Taylor. I also find it hard to believe any team with a remotely competent recruiter thinks that mead is a medium forward in the afl for anything other than the time he’s trying to break into a midfield.

He’s either a mid, or he’s a state league player.

yep, me too, he's the most damaging player disposal wise in this draft IMO

North bidding on Declan Watson.

I can't believe that the future of AFL scouting is on TikTok
Someone was saying on the gc board that the clubs will only be required to have two draft picks, that means roughly 40 picks given some already have more in the top 40. This will be the fastest draft ever

Someone was saying on the gc board that the clubs will only be required to have two draft picks, that means roughly 40 picks given some already have more in the top 40. This will be the fastest draft ever
Yes, but clubs often take more draft picks than required by the rules - Look at the way North Melbourne are heading this off-season for example. Saying that, depending on final list numbers and contracted players, and how active the trade period is, it is shaping to be a shorter draft than usual!

It'll be interesting with the how many spots each club takes into the draft, a bit of value with the DFA's available already so when these top teams confirm their delistings there could be some real bargains. Personally I'd be utilising the SSP this off season with some of the more speculative picks, maybe the talls at the back end that have some promise like a Lord type
I'm one of the people expecting a high amount of player movement this trade period as well, with clubs going to need to be proactive to get ahead of any salary cap cuts coming in the next few years, will be interesting for sure

It'll be interesting with the how many spots each club takes into the draft, a bit of value with the DFA's available already so when these top teams confirm their delistings there could be some real bargains. Personally I'd be utilising the SSP this off season with some of the more speculative picks, maybe the talls at the back end that have some promise like a Lord type
I'm one of the people expecting a high amount of player movement this trade period as well, with clubs going to need to be proactive to get ahead of any salary cap cuts coming in the next few years, will be interesting for sure
My guess for Brisbane will be two picks, three at the most.

There’s a lot talk about Daniher and Cockatoo moving to Brisbane.

I hope we go for a young ruck, and our top academy kid, Blake Coleman.

My guess for Brisbane will be two picks, three at the most.

There’s a lot talk about Daniher and Cockatoo moving to Brisbane.

I hope we go for a young ruck, and our top academy kid, Blake Coleman.
If essendon gets band 1 compensation, you’ll take your 2 first round picks and coleman me thinks.

If essendon gets band 1 compensation, you’ll take your 2 first round picks and coleman me thinks.
A lot of us would like to see one pick traded in to 2021.

It’s very difficult looking at our out of contract players, and working out where 4 lists spots are going to come from.

We currently have 37 players signed for next year, with the following out of contract;
2020:
Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison (R)
Toby Wooller
Stefan Martin
Grant Birchall
Mitchell Hinge
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen
Sam Skinner (R)
Corey Lyons (R)
Matt Eagles (R)

We’re going to end up delisting a couple of players a lot of fans would prefer we didn’t have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back