Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Jordan Lukac a chance to get picked up?
Should get looked at for sure, he's shown some good flashes in every game I've watched of his and was SA's best ruck in the games v WA

Really? I would've thought JVR was slightly more athletic through this is basesd solely on eyes in game rather than proper testing. JVR seemed to beat him for pace in that WAFL final. Granted it's hard when you're a defender but seemed liked JVR had too much for him on the lead. Was impressed with his work rate in unhonoured leads.
huh? JVR was blanketed with his leading when Bazzo was moved to be responsible for him. Obviously we'd have to wait for the testing results to see who's truly more athletic but just in game style, JVR relies more on his repeat leading efforts and patterns to get separation on the lead as a forward, I think his tendency to try and engage in a grappling contest with his opponent and then shove off them shows even he understands his limitations for speed, whereas Bazzo looks more comfortable and able to beat most of his opponents purely with his speed

Good opportunity to point out a guy I think is being severely underrated in draft discussions around the place with VIC footy halting. Rewatching some more vic footy over the last few weeks (for player profiles for the AFL Draft Central Draft Guide, keep your eyes open :eyes: in the coming weeks) and he's one I think might be a smokey for the top 30, genuinely versatile to a high level, speedy and most importantly one of the best kicks in the draft class, keep an eye to see if he 'rises' in the next month

Good opportunity to point out a guy I think is being severely underrated in draft discussions around the place with VIC footy halting. Rewatching some more vic footy over the last few weeks (for player profiles for the AFL Draft Central Draft Guide, keep your eyes open :eyes: in the coming weeks) and he's one I think might be a smokey for the top 30, genuinely versatile to a high level, speedy and most importantly one of the best kicks in the draft class, keep an eye to see if he 'rises' in the next month

Guess I should have known that I wasn’t going to be the only one with him in a ‘Smokey’ list 😂😂

Guess I should have known that I wasn’t going to be the only one with him in a ‘Smokey’ list 😂😂
As I hoover footage I'm adding about 6 guys per day to my 'smokey list' tbf :tearsofjoy:

Gotta say though, watching NAB League and Metro v Country games again I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of these SA and WA guys that have 'risen' later in the year still dont get taken til the 40's, a lot of forgotten quality in vic

As I hoover footage I'm adding about 6 guys per day to my 'smokey list' tbf :tearsofjoy:

Gotta say though, watching NAB League and Metro v Country games again I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of these SA and WA guys that have 'risen' later in the year still dont get taken til the 40's, a lot of forgotten quality in vic
Agreed

I do wonder if, every year, there are the top sorts who are talked about constantly but, for some reason. flavour of the month types and "bolters" get preferred thus giving us the impression that the start of the year types who get forgotten about (or get lost in the shuffle) are, themselves, "bolters" by perception.

In 2017 for instance, that seemed to be Hunter Clark and Brandon Starcevich for me.

I'm a big fan, been pushing him on the West Coast page, and Soligo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big fan, been pushing him on the West Coast page, and Soligo!
Soligo is another one for me as well, not quite as high as Rankin in my order but a hard at it hard working mid that can hit the scoreboard isn't something to brush away easily, Soligo's workrate as well with his two way running is impressive

Soligo is another one for me as well, not quite as high as Rankin in my order but a hard at it hard working mid that can hit the scoreboard isn't something to brush away easily, Soligo's workrate as well with his two way running is impressive
I went to watch the Sandy Vs Eastern game at Trevor Barker earlier this year and he really impressed me that day, he had a big day out and I walked away thinking wow this guy has something. His game vs Vic Country was also decent. We really need some outside run, and two way running so well suited to us.

Who do you have them taking mate? Lowe key hoping Fremantle can take Jye Amiss and Mac Andrew. Have you done a phantom recently or do I have to read back? :)
I think its between Andrew, Callaghan, Gibcus and Rachele currently, so it's hard to see us 'definitley' taking anyone in particular

Keen to get your views on Ronald fejo jr as a later pick.
As a later pick I'd be keen for sure, currently in my top 50 because his movement through congestion is really impressive and his ball use is pretty good. In saying that, I've found that he does try to do too much with at times, at least from footage (where I can't see what's up the field) he doubles back into traffic a lot when he gets it, but he's certainly developable

Not having a lot of confidence to run and carry would I imagine be explained in part by injury. And also the fact that he's spent most of the season when fit as a role player for South. There were none of these issues over the first month of the year when he was healthy and dominated the U18s. Then when he was fit again, he was considered good enough to be part of South's finals run and kicked 5 goals in 4 weeks in his limited role.

Sheldrick has the same question marks and less versatility. I wonder how his ball use would have gone playing at a higher level.

It's always tough comparing someone who's played league football versus school football and colts. You're expected to dominate one, whereas only the very best dominate both. That's what the Champs are for. But I personally took almost nothing out of the WA/SA games this year, such was the quality - the only takeaways for me were Sheldrick will be drafted and I'd go early on Jones.
The fall and fall of Matt on these draft watchers has been nothing short of bizarre. If South had left Matt in U18 in his favoured position he’d still be talked about as top 10. Gets absolutely no credit for a good contribution as a role player in a league prelim final. Gets absolutely no credit for being one of the best performers for SA in state games. Zero allowance for his injury.

As you correctly observe just continued nitpicking thanks to the level of exposure compared to others.

The fall and fall of Matt on these draft watchers has been nothing short of bizarre. If South had left Matt in U18 in his favoured position he’d still be talked about as top 10. Gets absolutely no credit for a good contribution as a role player in a league prelim final. Gets absolutely no credit for being one of the best performers for SA in state games. Zero allowance for his injury.

As you correctly observe just continued nitpicking thanks to the level of exposure compared to others.
Would you rather we not focus on him when he plays? It's all well and good to say he'd still be considered top 10 if he was left in the U18's, but he wasn't, so it's a moot point.

Would you rather we not focus on him when he plays? It's all well and good to say he'd still be considered top 10 if he was left in the U18's, but he wasn't, so it's a moot point.
Chris makes a number of very valid points and one of those is the tendency to over analyse when there’s over exposure compared to others. Go and have a look at his prelim highlights - comfortably able to get separation on a lead, comfortably able to run around an opponent. You blokes are making him sound like he turns up in a wheel chair every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back