Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll depend on who ends up woth those early picks, I've mentioned on the GWS board that Watson is the sort of player I don't see us passing on should he be available even within the top 5. Gut feel says that it's an unfortunate yes, but in a similar vein to Errol Gulden I really think Watson will quickly make some clubs look silly should he slide.

Unless Moir starts to actually get some Midfield rotation, or maintains his numbers at a higher level of competition, I don't think he'll end up a top 3 pick, at this early stage it's more the Duursma's, Curtin's and possibly McKercher's contending for the picks after Reid
I can see Darcy Wilson pushing right up. Great size, super athlete with tricks and heaps of upside.

The draft eligible players honestly should get priority when it comes to focusing on notes, wouldn’t say I would have done notes on Dear or Grego if I was in the position but I certainly would have done so with Kako (Essendon bias 😂)
Yeh Kako robbed in the notes department 😂. You’ve got a lively one there, keen to watch his development over the next 18 months.

I can see Darcy Wilson pushing right up. Great size, super athlete with tricks and heaps of upside.
I see him as a top 10 player at the moment for sure and could push up to that bracket, but I think he'll need to show something more in the centre square for that to happen

My thoughts on the Young Guns vs Vic Metro game

Philactides was BOG for mine with 25 disposals. He reminds me a lot of Saad, but more physical. His kicking wasn’t at his best, but no one was TBH due to the conditions, however, he won a heap of the footy fwd of centre & you can see why AFL clubs put so much value on speedy HB’s. He was the cleanest/one touch player on the ground. Brisbane put a lot of work into Saad on the wknd & its because good HB’s are so valuable. I agree with Alvaro’s scout notes. He and Roberts will be pivotal to VM. I would not be surprised if AFL clubs could see him as a mid as well as HB I think he has the potential to go top 10.

Roberts a close second to Phila, also with 25 disposal. He also wasn’t the greatest user on the day, however, you can’t question his intent to drive his team fwd. I know Roberts is labelled as a HB and I assume he will play there in the champs, but I reckon he will slot in as a wingman at AFL level. He has a good leg, he’s not lightning quick but I can see him used as the link man to put balls i50. Also, because he reads the play well and is such a good interceptor (ripper contested mark on the wing) I feel like his attributes will be better used further up the ground. Potential top 20 selection.

Croft had a solid game. He didn’t win a heap of the footy, however, he made his possessions count. He’s a lovely kick and he showed this by kicking goals from all angles. 3 goals came from laces out kicks to his lead and one was a joe the goose over the back. I assume he will be in the VM squad so I’m really keen to see how he goes competing against the best KPB in the country. For a 200cm player, his athleticism is his one wood. As he showed you don’t want to give him too much space as he will hurt you on the scoreboard. Pretty confident he will end up on the dogs list.

Morris I have been on the record as saying he will be one of the best if not the best KPF in this draft pool. I love his versatility and he showed this on the weekend. I also love how physical he is. He hits the pack hard, in some ways he reminds me of Tom Lynch, just a smaller version. I also thought he made good decisions on the wknd when he was down back, not really wasting any possessions other than what was unavoidable due to the conditions. Another one that I am really keen to see where VM play him. geelongrecruit5 I think he will be a top 15 selection.

Kako was lively all day. I haven’t seen a lot of him, but he played the conditions really well. He was smart and pushed high up the ground, almost playing as a high HF where he had many of his possessions. The only thing missing from his game was hitting the scoreboard, but his turn will come if he keeps playing with such energy. With so many good bottom agers I’m not sure if he will find a spot in the VM squad this year.

Taha is an interesting one in the sense that will Essendon invest in him. Taha’s numbers were great. 22 disposals, 10 tackles and 6 inside 50’s. That’s a solid game in anyone’s book. He was the best wingman on the day. He played his role really well and as a result, he got used. Like everyone he had scrappy disposal moments, but it’s his speed and smarts that you can see translating at AFL level. Not sure his range just yet.

K. Brown is a workhorse. His decision making is really good. I love how he values a HB as much as a kick, there aren’t too many that I can confidently say have this mindset. He spent time in the midfield and across HB, but his mid work was strong with 6 clearances. Brown is definitely one that doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves. Dees recruitment staff would be happy with how Brown is progressing. I see him starting as a nippy back pocket like his dad was, but eventually spending time as one of the Dees mids. It doesn’t matter where his selection comes from, he will definitely land a spot on the Dees list.

O’Leary was good. He’s not the biggest player out there but he knows his strengths. He made good decisions for the most part and probably could have had an extra half a dozen disposals if his teammates played the 1:2 game with him when he was on. He played mostly wing, but I think if he makes it onto an AFL list his position will be a high HF or a small back as he is a good user of the ball as he showed on the weekend. Every time he was at the contest, he showed loads of energy and good shape around the contest. Late pick/Rookie at this stage.

W. Brown was good and predominantly played fwd. When he did play midfield he had some nice moments, having 4 clearances. It will be interesting to see where he gets played for VM as there will be some pretty handy mids in the squad. Because he has spent so much time in the mid before the Young Guns game it was an advantage to him purely for being able to handle the pressure to be clean by hands and know how to work his way through traffic, hence his 3 goals were good. At 193cm he’s probably like a Phillipou and we have seen what he’s doing at AFL. Top 20 selection. Not based on the current form but on what he will become.

Happy to share my thoughts on the Young Guns if anyone wants to hear them. But probably best for a different thread.

Philactides was BOG for mine with 25 disposals. He reminds me a lot of Saad, but more physical. His kicking wasn’t at his best, but no one was TBH due to the conditions, however, he won a heap of the footy fwd of centre & you can see why AFL clubs put so much value on speedy HB’s. He was the cleanest/one touch player on the ground. Brisbane put a lot of work into Saad on the wknd & its because good HB’s are so valuable. I agree with Alvaro’s scout notes. He and Roberts will be pivotal to VM. I would not be surprised if AFL clubs could see him as a mid as well as HB I think he has the potential to go top 10.

Roberts a close second to Phila, also with 25 disposal. He also wasn’t the greatest user on the day, however, you can’t question his intent to drive his team fwd. I know Roberts is labelled as a HB and I assume he will play there in the champs, but I reckon he will slot in as a wingman at AFL level. He has a good leg, he’s not lightning quick but I can see him used as the link man to put balls i50. Also, because he reads the play well and is such a good interceptor (ripper contested mark on the wing) I feel like his attributes will be better used further up the ground. Potential top 20 selection.

Croft had a solid game. He didn’t win a heap of the footy, however, he made his possessions count. He’s a lovely kick and he showed this by kicking goals from all angles. 3 goals came from laces out kicks to his lead and one was a joe the goose over the back. I assume he will be in the VM squad so I’m really keen to see how he goes competing against the best KPB in the country. For a 200cm player, his athleticism is his one wood. As he showed you don’t want to give him too much space as he will hurt you on the scoreboard. Pretty confident he will end up on the dogs list.

Morris I have been on the record as saying he will be one of the best if not the best KPF in this draft pool. I love his versatility and he showed this on the weekend. I also love how physical he is. He hits the pack hard, in some ways he reminds me of Tom Lynch, just a smaller version. I also thought he made good decisions on the wknd when he was down back, not really wasting any possessions other than what was unavoidable due to the conditions. Another one that I am really keen to see where VM play him. geelongrecruit5 I think he will be a top 15 selection.

Kako was lively all day. I haven’t seen a lot of him, but he played the conditions really well. He was smart and pushed high up the ground, almost playing as a high HF where he had many of his possessions. The only thing missing from his game was hitting the scoreboard, but his turn will come if he keeps playing with such energy. With so many good bottom agers I’m not sure if he will find a spot in the VM squad this year.

Taha is an interesting one in the sense that will Essendon invest in him. Taha’s numbers were great. 22 disposals, 10 tackles and 6 inside 50’s. That’s a solid game in anyone’s book. He was the best wingman on the day. He played his role really well and as a result, he got used. Like everyone he had scrappy disposal moments, but it’s his speed and smarts that you can see translating at AFL level. Not sure his range just yet.

K. Brown is a workhorse. His decision making is really good. I love how he values a HB as much as a kick, there aren’t too many that I can confidently say have this mindset. He spent time in the midfield and across HB, but his mid work was strong with 6 clearances. Brown is definitely one that doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves. Dees recruitment staff would be happy with how Brown is progressing. I see him starting as a nippy back pocket like his dad was, but eventually spending time as one of the Dees mids. It doesn’t matter where his selection comes from, he will definitely land a spot on the Dees list.

O’Leary was good. He’s not the biggest player out there but he knows his strengths. He made good decisions for the most part and probably could have had an extra half a dozen disposals if his teammates played the 1:2 game with him when he was on. He played mostly wing, but I think if he makes it onto an AFL list his position will be a high HF or a small back as he is a good user of the ball as he showed on the weekend. Every time he was at the contest, he showed loads of energy and good shape around the contest. Late pick/Rookie at this stage.

W. Brown was good and predominantly played fwd. When he did play midfield he had some nice moments, having 4 clearances. It will be interesting to see where he gets played for VM as there will be some pretty handy mids in the squad. Because he has spent so much time in the mid before the Young Guns game it was an advantage to him purely for being able to handle the pressure to be clean by hands and know how to work his way through traffic, hence his 3 goals were good. At 193cm he’s probably like a Phillipou and we have seen what he’s doing at AFL. Top 20 selection. Not based on the current form but on what he will become.

Happy to share my thoughts on the Young Guns if anyone wants to hear them. But probably best for a different thread.
You could start your own thread....

You could start your own thread....

Spot on, great anaylisis!

Bangers we (Saints) desperately need to add some break away speed to our midfield. Is there anyone in our expected range that you would recommend keeping an eye on?

A couple of big calls there pushintheback, let’s wait and see what pans out but I think you’ll be way off the mark, anyway, that’s my opinion.

In saying all that I like the fact you put yourself on record making the big calls 👋👋👋
Which ones do you think are way off the mark?

A couple of big calls there pushintheback, let’s wait and see what pans out but I think you’ll be way off the mark, anyway, that’s my opinion.

In saying all that I like the fact you put yourself on record making the big calls 👋👋👋
I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means. Just my view of what I see. I guess players are lucky or not that I or others on here don't have any say draft day ;)
Nevertheless, keen to hear your opinion on who the big calls are and why you see it differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means. Just my view of what I see. I guess players are lucky or not that I or others on here don't have any say draft day ;)
Nevertheless, keen to hear your opinion on who the big calls are and why you see it differently.
Absolutely and totally agree and I’m not an expert either, just a keen follower and mad Geelong member. The champs play a big part as you are aware right? I’ll hold off on making the calls until after then, but for now keep it coming plz.

I would be interested to read your notes on the yong guns. They picked a very tall team, so the conditions may not have suited them

Bangers we (Saints) desperately need to add some break away speed to our midfield. Is there anyone in our expected range that you would recommend keeping an eye on?
Depends where your range ends up, the absolute dream for speed in the midfield this year is Colby McKercher, but he's a likely top 10 selection at this stage so would probably require a move up in the order. It's early on so not a whole heap have shot up, but Joel Freijah has a good agility base which let's him get out of tight spots consistently

The usual RMC AFL Academy game style notes, where we mention every player, will be out on Monday, but some brief thoughts on the game from my perspective (keep in mind I was focusing on numbers 1-19);

Jake Rogers was simply superb, he's had a few good games over the past two years but that's been the most complete performance I've seen from him, ticking a lot of boxes in terms of performance and traits, and I think that we're really going to wee how much height matters to recruiters this year with him and Watson both putting themselves high up the order in terms of talent.

Mitch Edwards and Ethan Read could both be the best ruck in the game at some point, granted it was all mostly in comparison to Hudson O'Keeffe, but their impact around the ground was superb in terms of marking and link up play. It's interesting for Read in particular, the Suns already have Witts and Moyle coming through, along woth Andrew that can fill in there in future, I wonder if he might be turned into a key pillar at either end of the ground, has the ability overhead and below his knees to realistically do it.

There's a lot more "potential" midfielder up the top end than the usual set in stone midfielders, I'm hoping we see some more push themselves up along with McKercher; Duursma, McAuliffe, Lorenz, Freijah all have showed signs so are ones to track at champs

Doesn't feel like there's a lot of genuine speed up the top end either outside of 3 or 4 prospects, particularly in the midfielders, so if guys like Philactides, Roberts, Hardeman (exposure on the wing already) show something in the centre I reckon they'll shoot up boards a bit

I still think there's a long way to go for a true challenger of Pick 1, Watson is there on talent but height will be a concern, but there's been consistent glimpses through the season from most of the other academy guys to still be optimistic about the crop.

Last edited:
So Sydney might have a pick around pick 5.

Now forget all the players who you think will be around pick 5. Instead put yourself in Beatson's position and try and think of a "clever" selection, someone that is projected to go 9 to 12 probably, someone who Beatson will decide no one else rates for some reason, likely a small forward or maybe a medium defender. Definitely won't be an in and under midfielder or tall defender which is what Sydney needs.

Who is Sydney likely to draft?

:)

So Sydney might have a pick around pick 5.

Now forget all the players who you think will be around pick 5. Instead put yourself in Beatson's position and try and think of a "clever" selection, someone that is projected to go 9 to 12 probably, someone who Beatson will decide no one else rates for some reason, likely a small forward or maybe a medium defender. Definitely won't be an in and under midfielder or tall defender which is what Sydney needs.

Who is Sydney likely to draft?

:)
I'm pretty confident that Kinnear and co. would be looking at players that aren't afraid of the contest and aren't wasteful with the footy for the Swans first rounder, guys like Tholstrup and Sanders are two that might be in that range that could definitely develop into full time midfielders at the next level, and a good champs campaign would have Clay Hall in that mix as well I imagine. For tall defenders it really depends what you're looking for specifically, Curtin is probably the only one in the top 10 conversation currently but doesn't really fit the mould of what the Swans typically look for in their KPD's, imo he's far more suited to a prime Nick Haynes style role where he has the freedom to run in front of contests and take marks uncontested. Ollie Murphy and Connor O'Sullivan are better one-on-one and better athletically, with both moreso 15+ picks atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back