• No

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • We are boring but no more boring than anyone else

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • we are the most exciting team in the comp

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't defend this team when it comes to attractive football as the team is slow, and the occasional attacking play is broken down too easily. Our team never really creates space either which always turns our matches into trench warfare.

I don't care how "boring" or "unattractive" we are if we win games.

A game of football is essentially made up of a sequence of plays and success is largely based on knowing what to do on each play when the odds are in your favour and when the odds are against you. There are times when defensive football is the right strategy, and there are times to take the game on and attack. Over the past few years we have been a side that has emphasised defense, and there is nothing wrong with that necessarily, as our defense keeps us in games, but attack is what wins games. If you are too conservative and take too little risk, you will struggle to kick enough goals to win. If you take too much risk, you will probably concede too many goals to give you a chance of winning. Roos understood this when he brought "tempo footy" to the Swans, as we were good at minimising damage, but could also take the game on when required. This is not a new idea, it just requires players who can make good decisions and who are disciplined enough to stick to the plan. Whenever we have a few players out or we have inexperienced players in the team we tend to struggle. It's true that our game plan doesn't produce the most attractive or free flowing footy, but it's been reasonably successful (winning percentage of 63% since Roos took over full time in 2003, with 5 grand finals and 2 flags). You could change it, but I'm not convinced that it would actually make us any better.

Expanded the poll

I reckon we are real hard work to watch especially at home
I think the biggest part of our home games being boring (when watched on TV) is the ridiculously low camera angle. It makes everything look even more condensed than it is.

I think people forget we often looked really good last year from round 7 on. Played some really attractive, running football.

This year has been pretty blood ordinary. I said before the Richmond game: we’ve never looked good, despite winning.

Last edited:
I think the biggest part of our home games being boring (when watched on TV) is the ridiculously low camera angle. It makes everything look even more condensed than it is.
Aren't there six cameras covering this game? one each behind the goals and one each on the 50 lines on both sides. Only the one in the ladies standsnis low and I thought it had been moved?

Aren't there six cameras covering this game? one each behind the goals and one each on the 50 lines on both sides. Only the one in the ladies standsnis low and I thought it had been moved?
I'm not sure how many cameras they use these days. It's the cameras on the Ladies/Brewongle side of the ground that seem to be about 20m lower than any other stadium. It's not a bad level to sit if you're watching live, but that's because you've got a naturally wider field of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how many cameras they use these days. It's the cameras on the Ladies/Brewongle side of the ground that seem to be about 20m lower than any other stadium. It's not a bad level to sit if you're watching live, but that's because you've got a naturally wider field of view.
There's one in the Brewongle stand on level 5 at the Randwick end? I wonder if it's the issue. Only one on that level in the stand.

Scale has been tipped towards defense way to much this season did anyone think we were going to win against Richmond or last night when we got within a kick? nup because we dont generate anywhere near enough opportunities

We have gone from bombing the ball to Franklin at all costs to the ball not even getting to him i much prefer the first option as it gives him a chance.

We seem to fluctuate. Games like last night, v North Melb, v Brisbane, etc were awful. But the opening game of the year, and v Geelong at GMHBA, v StKilda were fast moving and exciting.

Don’t know if it’s opposition shutting us down or us trying to make it a slow, dour game as part of our tactics.

We are incredibly boring and have been for a long time. I hate saying this (* do I hate saying this) but I'm liking the way both Essendon & Collingwood are playing attacking football! Richmond are in a league of their own though.

Have a read here: https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/07/another-lost-year-sydney-swans/

Can't argue with a fair bit of that TBH.

I'm tired of seeing us break through the corridor and no one in the F50 to kick to.
Wasted entries, an overwhelmed defence and an underperformiong midfield do not a Premiership make.

I'd like to see Reid (or Cameron if Reid's injured again FFS) deep forward, McCartin at CHF and Buddy roaming from 70 out towards the F50 with the Hayward, Ronke, Papley mix buzzing around their feet for a change.

Need to get some new blood into the midfield ASAP even if only from our current NEAFL stocks but a definite priority for the offseason.

I'm not adverse to shopping Hanners and Parker around if need be to get some new blood in there and rebuilding around Heeney, Mills, Jones in the middle

There's a difference between defensive footy and boring footy. We used to have amazing defensive pressure, and it would mean we wouldn't always score over 100, but it would be awesome to watch because it felt like every member of the 22 was committed to the game they knew would win. We'd run both ways, even if we did get found out from faster sides. The last two years though it's felt like that pressure isn't there. I haven't felt like we're the best pressure team in it since 2016. We seem to have so many lapses and we're now relying on a stoppage game even though we're no longer the best at stoppages and so really there's just no game plan other than the one we regularly are getting beaten at.

So yeah it's boring because the personnel doesn't match the style IMO.

Unattractive in the trenches footy with long bombing regardless of were we are on the ground

Boundary line crap

Bombing to Buddy is the funniest and dumbest s**t I see week in week out

Almost turn-off tv at times or waiting for the game to be finally over

Going from living breathing footy to almost not looking forward to watching us

50% of people here seriously believe we are the most boring team in the AFL?

That's ridiculous, we have Buddy Franklin and a bunch of super exciting young players (Aliir, Florent, Heeney, Hayward, Papley). We are not close to the most boring team in the AFL.

I get that everyone is jaded after our past two games - we should be disappointed. But posters on this board need to settle down and have some perspective. We are coming 5th, we have lost some close games we could have won, we've had some bad injury luck and there is only one team in the competition that I am certain is better than us (Tigers).

We are so spoilt as Swans fans and we need to acknowledge that sometimes rather than whinging that we don't win everything single game.

We are most boring relative to our talent. Gold Coast and Carlton are more boring hut they have little talent. We should play way more attractive footy given our talent level.

Back