AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

First time back to this thread for a while and we are comparing men and women as if they will be playing each other, completely missing the point of allowing women to play the game as a profession...

More FiveAA listeners on here than I thought...

Listener here....

I am guilty of comparing, I reckon most are just concerned about the quality, as I am.

When do you start calling them professionals? at the time when they become full time employees of the AFL?

Why? I get that they "represent port" and I would here for them ahead of any other team but i would strongly prefer we put every single available dollar into winning the AFL flag rather than feeling good that we have a women's team
Guess we should pull all of our indigenous programs? Stop sending the players out to schools? Just ditch any community effort because money could be instead spent on a new treadmill?

We're a club that prides ourselves on being involved in the community and supporting women's footy is a great way to do so.

Why? I get that they "represent port" and I would here for them ahead of any other team but i would strongly prefer we put every single available dollar into winning the AFL flag rather than feeling good that we have a women's team
Even being cynical and saying every community activity has no merit in and of themselves, they have value towards flags. Sure if 2016 was the last ever season of AFL you'd pour every cent and minute into the flag, but it isn't. If we want to be a big club, with the resources to compete for flags in 5, 10 and 20 years time we need supporters, sponsors and players (especially from other clubs) that want to play for us.

Our indigenous work got Ryder over the line for picking us. The likes of Wines (good country boy with associated values), has made note how they helped make the decision to stay easy. Whose to say being such strong supporters of a female team doesn't have a mother of a potential trade target or his partner whispering in an ear in the future Port is a club to go to?

I think all our programs and the women's team have merit on their own, but let's put to bed this argument that they have no benefit to our main aim of winning the AFL premiership.

Last edited:
They don't. Make all the feel good points you like to try and manufacture a way it helps the actual team win a flag but they do not in reality make a difference. Patty would have come anyway same with others because we look in good shape for a good purple patch of finals years and success. When we are on the inevitable list refreshment in 6 or 7 years time we will lose some up and comers to clubs in our position. Tell me then how the womens team helps? If it were 2012 would you say a womens team will help? I really really doubt it. Players will want to stay at Port based on success or the thought of success with us and loyalty once here but no one is going to make their decision based on is having a womens team that is just is drinking too much of the kool aid

Guess we should pull all of our indigenous programs? Stop sending the players out to schools? Just ditch any community effort because money could be instead spent on a new treadmill?

We're a club that prides ourselves on being involved in the community and supporting women's footy is a great way to do so.

Is there a SJW cause you wouldnt want the club involved in?

Its not ridiculous. We are a football club not a church. Most of what we currently do makes sense but the more we add he less if any value it adds to our main cause/purpose.

Its not ridiculous. We are a football club not a church. Most of what we currently do makes sense but the more we add he less if any value it adds to our main cause/purpose.
It's 2016, not 1975.

In 2016, community involvement is good for business, and a strong business is good for football. It's not rocket science.

You're letting your deep seated hatred for women and minorities cloud your otherwise usually fairly sharp football brain.

I'm surprised there is debate on the merits of having a female team. Not being able to field a team in the inaugural league was a massive blow to us. It would have been the icing on the cake of our already strong community programs. Don't underestimate the amount of good will created by successful community programs. Our programs promote inclusion and based on that alone we will do well as long as we are willing to give to receive that good will.

Have a look what we have done with the Aboriginal Power Cup and the Indigenous programs we run. These programs continue to grow and are considered by many in the community/social services field a raging success.
That's not even taking into consideration the footballing benefits of the program.

If a little girl wants to strive to play for Port Adelaide and there is no Port Adelaide team to strive towards, why should she invest her time and energy into Port Adelaide when Port Adelaide isn't investing anything for her to strive towards?

How does doing more of what "makes sense" in community support make it decrease in value? Does directly contributing to the development of the Crows' first round draft pick any more sense than providing a legitimate pathway for girls to pursue their sporting dreams? It's up to organisations like sports clubs, particularly professional ones with resources, to provide for the community and society. Without that contribution, we're just an organisation that provides a bunch of dudes who kick a ball around. That's great, but it's not what makes us like a family. Plus, sponsors love that s**t. It's good PR that makes them look good and in turn make them want to give us bux that we wouldn't have otherwise got without the "natural" (lacking a better word) pull of a Collingwood or an Adelaide. And not just sponsors, but regular people too. Being consistently visible in the community is the best way to engage people and turn them into supporters and paid up members, as well as turn away the ugly representations of the club presented by the wily local media.

They don't. Make all the feel good points you like to try and manufacture a way it helps the actual team win a flag but they do not in reality make a difference. Patty would have come anyway same with others because we look in good shape for a good purple patch of finals years and success. When we are on the inevitable list refreshment in 6 or 7 years time we will lose some up and comers to clubs in our position. Tell me then how the womens team helps? If it were 2012 would you say a womens team will help? I really really doubt it. Players will want to stay at Port based on success or the thought of success with us and loyalty once here but no one is going to make their decision based on is having a womens team that is just is drinking too much of the kool aid
When a player wanting out has a choice between 17 other clubs any edge you can have can make the difference. Paddy's partner was from QLD and finals success or not if we'd been indifferent to indigenous issues there's a good chance he'd be playing for one of the clubs there. No one is saying our programs are the whole difference between coming here or staying here (such as Wines), but in a league with a salary cap every non-cap item that can have a positive effect is money outside the cap for player attraction / retention.

And there goes beyond the direct player retention / attraction. We're all rejoicing as fans our sponsorships at record highs, along with record memberships. We've been told that our community programs makes getting and keeping sponsorships easier. And being cynical again, I bet our indigenous programs have helped increase our share of supporters amongst indigenous fans. Supporting a women's team, versus not, would have an effect on female support for the club over time (and hence the attractiveness to sponsors). Long term I'd be surprised if the costs of them aren't less than the additional money they'll bring in, they otherwise wouldn't have without all the programs.

I'm far from an SJW, but just looking at it from a player retention/attraction perspective and economically it makes sense. I think you're really missing the football benefits these programs offer long term, due to disagreeing with them from a non-football point of view.

A lot of the positives for women's footy mentioned ITT are on point and I agree, I just wanted to add that one of the reasons I want to see us field a women's team is because of the few games I've seen they aren't afraid to go in hard and they play uncompromising footy. That to me is highly entertaining. I love seeing women who aren't afraid to lay down some smack and get dirty. On the weekend the female UFC fights were the most entertaining of the round. Not that I'm trying to compare the sports I'm just saying, just because they are women doesn't mean they play like 'girls'. So if I decide to go and watch the female version I'd love to be able to barrack for Port rather than be a neutral.
Also I love footy so much that the more the merrier. If it's televised and I don't have to go anywhere then even better. If it's run by the AFL it'll never clash with the men so I'll watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a little girl wants to strive to play for Port Adelaide and there is no Port Adelaide team to strive towards, why should she invest her time and energy into Port Adelaide when Port Adelaide isn't investing anything for her to strive towards?
But don't we already have a team? One that we are going to invest in? Or did I hear that wrong? It might not be in the national league at this stage, but we have not dropped the mic and said fck it, we are out.

Seeing all those young girls running around in the SANFL tv ad actually made me realise how proud I am, yet again, of my club. Young girls will have a pathway, an academy. Our club understands grass roots and even though Crows will be absolutely gifted that first license, they are purely after a quick fix.

My 'They don't' was in reference to the Womens team not the rest of the stuff. As I said we are not a church we are a football club, the indigenous programs and other community programs have directly help our football team by identifying, providing a pathway to the AFL for our young men or planting a seed in them if they get drrafted somewhere else that their home is really here. The Women's team will suck funds and will not help what our main goal is and that is to win AFL premierships. I think we are all prepared for the media blitz and all the players having to toe the AFL line and same with AFL media commentators, anyone outside it will cop the 'its not 1975' or the completely insulting response that Gil had to Ditmar on Triple M last week who said he doesn't have any interest at all in it 'Do you still ride your horse to work'. I'll be shocked if Ditmar hasn't been sent off for some sort of sensitivity training after that but yeah that's really not going to convince a lot of people making snide you are stuck in the 1950's arguments, forcing men to watch a sport they don't want to won't work.

I'll put it to you this way, do the lady reds help Adelaide united win premierships or attract players? Does the Lightning help the 36ers crowds or attract players? Has womens BBL made an iota of difference to the mens? no.

Would you put the same argument to the Adelaide Thunderbirds that because a lot of men help out at netball it would ridiculous for a boy not to have a pathway to top level netball provided by them and it will help the female main team? no.

I'm also of the thinking that once this starts, don't sook when rules start getting adjusted in the men's game to suit the women and junior female participation. We know the AFL loves to * around with the rules (they already want to * the womens rules around before the comp even starts ffs) so I'd be shocked if they didn't finally get say the supergoal into main AFL if they can claim a success of it in the womens league. We all know they have wanted that ******* supergoal for years now but have been unable to convince the public. This is what worries me the most, I'm over the rule changes and bastardising of the game but they'll have another competition to test rules in and 'prove' their success.

You have a talented 16 year old girl who could either go play footy or soccer at a local footy club. She picks a sports and plays it for 5 years. She gets pregnant at 21. The old man does a runner. She has a son and wants to continue playing her chosen sport. She takes the kid to the club which has both females and male teams. What's the chance over the next 10 years the kid picks up his father figure and male guidance from one or more blokes he sees around the club? What is the chance that kid plays that football code vs another one??

That's what a lot of the development of women's participation in the sport, clubs and leagues is all about from HQ.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...idered-for-womens-league-20160308-gndycd.html
The emergence of the first father-daughter candidate for the new national women's league has prompted the AFL to look to introducing a version of its father-son rule into its regulations for the first national women's draft.

Maddie Morrison, a 21-year-old state league netballer and the daughter of former Footscray ruck-rover Ian Morrison, has joined the Victorian Women's Development Academy following the AFL's women talent search campaign.With the Western Bulldogs looking certain to win one of the first licences for next year's inaugural eight-team competition, Morrison, a newcomer to the game, has the potential to make history should that club select her.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan, who has championed the fast-tracking of the national league, said the father-daughter concept had already crossed his mind as the competition looks to establishing the new league's rules."For me instinctively I'd say 'why not father-daughter, why is it any different? Obviously all these things will go to the commission but I'm sure it's something we will look at.....
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...idered-for-womens-league-20160308-gndycd.html

Wow ... such small mindedness, lack of insight, and plain common sense! So Port is a community club, but hey, lets ignore 50% of the community? Senseless! If Port focus on a women's team, in 10 years time it will have had a material impact on our membership numbers and overall club strength! Engaging more women, mothers, girls, will lead to them in turn engaging with and following the Power in the AFL. Also you bang on about wasting resources on it, but forget one simple fact .... It has already been reported that sponsors are lining up for those clubs that are going to field teams. The public interest in them has been far greater that anyone ever expected, and looks like a women's team will easily pay for itself!

You stand alone on this one mate!

But don't we already have a team? One that we are going to invest in? Or did I hear that wrong? It might not be in the national league at this stage, but we have not dropped the mic and said fck it, we are out.

Yeah, from what I hear we are going to forge on regardless and ensure we are more than ready to enter a team should the time arise. Excellent. Still disappointing we didn't get a gig straight up but not to worry Port Adelaide finds a way. That I do know. I know we're going to have an SANFL team and provide support to the u/18 state team and that should get the ball rolling in the right direction.

What you quoted of my post was me basically outlining why you would invest in a female program. It promotes inclusion. It builds good will, it provides pathways, it widens our community base and it makes us stronger as a club. It gives young girls who love playing footy something to strive towards. Strong community foundations are what will keep us from having the arse fall out of the club like it did a few years ago. We will weather those times much better as a result of our community links.

I fear those who question the merits of having a female program don't understand the power of inclusion and the good will it develops.

Yeah, from what I hear we are going to forge on regardless and ensure we are more than ready to enter a team should the time arise. Excellent. Still disappointing we didn't get a gig straight up but not to worry Port Adelaide finds a way. That I do know. I know we're going to have an SANFL team and provide support to the u/18 state team and that should get the ball rolling in the right direction.

What you quoted of my post was me basically outlining why you would invest in a female program. It promotes inclusion. It builds good will, it provides pathways, it widens our community base and it makes us stronger as a club. It gives young girls who love playing footy something to strive towards. Strong community foundations are what will keep us from having the arse fall out of the club like it did a few years ago. We will weather those times much better as a result of our community links.

I fear those who question the merits of having a female program don't understand the power of inclusion and the good will it develops.
Excellent post, _Christoh_
The Crows have been fed sympathetic cake on this one. We've opted for a more fulfilling four-course meal and much less potential indigestion.

Excellent post, _Christoh_
The Crows have been fed sympathetic cake on this one. We've opted for a more fulfilling four-course meal and much less potential indigestion.

I agree, they're getting a massive leg up in that regard. In fairness though they actually got something right in their quest for the female team when they got the NT on board. Once they got that I thought it was going to be tough for us to nudge them out.

We've played catch up before, we will prevail, cos PORT!!

Wow ... such small mindedness, lack of insight, and plain common sense! So Port is a community club, but hey, lets ignore 50% of the community? Senseless! If Port focus on a women's team, in 10 years time it will have had a material impact on our membership numbers and overall club strength! Engaging more women, mothers, girls, will lead to them in turn engaging with and following the Power in the AFL. Also you bang on about wasting resources on it, but forget one simple fact .... It has already been reported that sponsors are lining up for those clubs that are going to field teams. The public interest in them has been far greater that anyone ever expected, and looks like a women's team will easily pay for itself!

You stand alone on this one mate!

No I don't stand alone and no the costs won't be covered by sponsors. Enjoy drinking the AFL Kool Aid on this one, hows the lady reds gone for Adelaide United attendance and membership?

No I don't stand alone and no the costs won't be covered by sponsors. Enjoy drinking the AFL Kool Aid on this one, hows the lady reds gone for Adelaide United attendance and membership?
The costs will be covered by sponsors.
Comparing the Port Adelaide Football Club 2016-2020 with Adelaide United soccer club is highly redundant.
Don't take it personally, but you do stand alone, plus or minus, and you know eff all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back