HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sounds like it'll be another comprehensive Maggies win.

Just think there's still at least 5 players out of this side. Pittard pushes Houston down, Krakouer, Dougal Howard, Atley & Neade. Then you've still got top line SANFL quality like Rudloff, Biemans and Robbie Young in the reserves.

This Magpie team is the best we've had since AFL in SANFL.
Pretty sure Neade played today

Marshall update ??
Struggled on better defenders as I expected and noted in the North Adelaide trial thread. Evans and Stephen were stronger and bigger than North defenders.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
Marshall's game was a bit of a non-event. Going for the ball at the northern end he was lightly grabbed and preferred to play for the free instead of doing his best to stay on his feet. Sturt ran this ball down and got a goal. At the southern end he was trying to be a bit too smart and lost the ball again when he should just have played basic football. He was unlucky when he ran to a good position and should have received a handpass to put him into goal. Plenty to work with though.

How'd Bonner, Austin, Palmer, Krak, Impey and Monfries all play ?

Anyone putting their hand up for an AFL call up ?

Bonner, Austin and Palmer were meh. Don't think Krak played. Impey was good in the first half, Monfries terrific in the 2nd half.

I'd say Impey and Monfries would be knocking on the door if changes are made.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bonner, Austin and Palmer were meh. Don't think Krak played. Impey was good in the first half, Monfries terrific in the 2nd half.

I'd say Impey and Monfries would be knocking on the door if changes are made.

Glad to hear that about Monfires, when he's flying where a better side… Pretty under-rated.

I missed the first 5 minutes both teams had scored a goal and apparently Monfries played well in that patch. I saw him once or twice in the first half. Had a big second half especially last quarter with the wind when the stronger wind and our superior fitness stretched Sturt.

Impey did a few good things in the 2nd quarter but coped a corkie and didnt play after half time.

Ladhams impressed for the second time. He has natural athleticsm. When he leads for the ball he leads like a forward not a big dopey ruckman. He will flourish with Lade as his forward/ruck coach. And he can ruck. He is a nice kick as well. Would not surprise me if in 5-7 years time he has put on 15kgs. He is a big lad but he isnt huge build yet.

Toumpas played well. Kicked a nice goal in the last quarter. He ran hard all night. Made a couple of clangers in the first half but a lot cleaner than last week.

White - barely saw him in the first half. Laid a tackle and I reckon he kicked our 2nd goal after a Reynolds tackle and he scoped up the lose ball and snapped a goal. Didn't see him in the 2nd half. Not sure if that was a precaution if he travels to Sydney.

Neade another emergency who did very little but he did play part of the 3rd quarter

Drew got better as the game went longer. He was important in some clearances and had some nice link up handballs thru the middle. Is a class player at this level.

More in my next post..

Last edited:

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
We beat them by having better players not by a superior gameplan/coaching. Sturt aren't reigning premiers
for no reason. What they didn't get tonight was any time with the ball in hand. They put together some coast to coast
stuff that was impressive. Snelling another stellar performance, watch out Sammy Gray. Lobbe, well what can anyone say
except the bleeding obvious, he played bloody well tonight and so did Dimitri Toumpas. Yep you read that last sentence right.
Frampton was good and Ladhams is a talent. As REH posted his athleticism for his height is WOW stuff.
Gus started well and as far as I could see :)rolleyes: the lights were NOT good, in fact embarrassing) Gus kept on going.
Austin had trouble with Kory Beard, Marshall was quiet Ah Chee came into the game.
Reynolds was great slotted goals took marks executed some WOW passes and was right up there in our best.
Irra was Irra, what a smooth mover he is yet can turn it over badly at times. More good than bad easily.
Bonner busy.
Not easy to be accurate with player's performances coz for 1/2 the game making out players from a distance was
all but impossible.
Quality football from both teams at times in poor light and flukey winds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
the frampton ladhams ruck forward combo is going to be pretty special for us over the next 10 years.
drew is a gun, does alot of impressive workin close. reads the game well before anyone else does, has amazing vision.
snelling is a class above
sturt are campaigners

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
A bit more on Toumpas and Arch would be appreciated
both played well, arch worked well through the middle, burst clear a few times, toumpas played off the half back line i think,set up so much play, skills were good, its a role thatsuits him well at sanfl level

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
A bit more on Toumpas and Arch would be appreciated
Toumpas played well. Got plenty of the ball and used it well. Best game i've seen from him. Arch was busy worked hard
in the mid field and more than once started our centre clearances by getting the hard ball. Dished out one of his
trademark monster H/B's. As good as he was he might even have been better for all I know but the lighting
tonight was not up to standard.
Frampton is an emerging talent and #10 for them Byron Sumner seemed to be the common denominator in
the 2 group dustups where Frampton quite naturally was front n centre but not the instigator.
It was a strong performance from us. Aidyn Johnson needs to lose some of his intensity and be less manic in his play.
Maybe he's feeling pressure. He has the talent just needs to scale it back a notch.

Jessie Palmer started in the middle a few times in the 2nd half and won a a couple of clearances and was a link player in a couple of more clearances. Pretty sure he kicked a goal in the 3rd quarter deep in the far southern pocket.

Lobbe may have played his best game since 2014. Took a few marks, one important one which he then gave a nice handball and some great ball movement from half back saw it moved deep to the other side forward pocket and Reynolds surprisingly missed a straight forward set shot 30m out. He tackled well, some nice passes and even was involved in some nice link up handball play. He got some nice taps but at centre bounces he gets too many nice deft taps that either go straight to the opposition or the oppo read him and run onto where he places the ball.

Bonner got a lot of the ball and used it a lot better than against the Hawks, but the wind wasn't as strong although it was a decent strength in the 2nd half. We had it the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Johnson does everything with intensity which is both good and bad. He gets to blokes to lay tackles and make it for marks but the speed he goes out he sometimes belts the handball when a softer one should be given, or he runs into team mates or their space because he is all action and doesn't think to slow down.

Marshall, as I posted previously struggled against bigger, stronger more experienced defenders than the guys he payed on at North. Probably got 4 disposals. He did try one flashy handball as he ball was about to go out of bounds deep in south west pocket in 3rd quarter. If it came of it would have been brilliant but Sturt player ended up with it and easily got the ball out of defence and ball ended up in their HFF.

Frampton played well in the ruck, took a couple of marks in the forward line, niggled a few blokes, hit a few bodies hard in the contest and worked his arse off to stop a sturt coast to coast goal from a behind kick in and the ball in the 2nd quarter which ended up in sturt's paddock and he must of run 70m to stop his opponent who had almost a 10m head start and Billy was a bit off balance in the opo goal square and just missed smothering his shot on goal.

Austin, I didn't notice him until the 3rd quarter. Not sure if that was me or he hadn't spent much time on the ground.

Lienert was solid again without being as good as the internal trial or north game.

Hewett only remember him doing one bit of play.

Ah Chee was reasonable in the clearances and did some nice things in the pack especially the way he is able to pick the ball up the ground and some how quickly lift his arms to avoid being tackled with the ball. Did a 40m handball that went into space rather than a team mates hands but we scored from that bit of play - pretty sure it was a point.

Irra did some nice runs and link up play but didnt do it often enough given the pace he has.

Snelling got a lot of clearances as usual. Took a gutsy mark and then kicked a goal from it. But I suspect with the poor light of the 2nd half I missed a lot of his good work in the packs.

The SANFL 4
Summo was quiet. I reckon he only got about a dozen disposals.

Sharrad was his usual Mr reliable self without being spectacular

Robbie Young, got plenty of it, was dangerous up forward but only scored one goal I think. Did a nice 4 bounce run on the outer wing, but when he got to half forward and nobody was there inside our 50m arc he didn't know what to do and stuffed up his kick

Reynolds is a natural footballer and has a very good set of hands and beautiful kick. Plus he does the hard stuff as well. A couple of tackles inside 50 resulted in goals.

We were too fit in the end for the premiers. But you could tell in the first quarter and a bit Sturt played a very good defensive zone style and you could see the Sydney impact on Mattner's coaching style.

Now if anyone has a whinge that the Magpies are too tall, give them a slap across the head, just like the invisible hand of the market gives market participants a good slap every now and then. The dopey call of oh we got all these rucks and KPPs playing in the one team, should be discouraged at every opportunity.

By playing Ladhams, Frampton, Marshall up forward and Lobbe in the ruck it opens things up for someone like Reynolds who gets a smaller opponent and he can run rings around them. It gives the little forwards like Robbie Young, Palmer, Monfries plenty of opportunities to get crumbing opportunities. By rotating Lobbe, Frampton and Ladhams in the ruck, it means our mids like Snelling, Drew, Summo, Irra etc will get plenty of taps to advantage or 50/50 situations to win the hard ball gets contest compared to the previous decade when the magpies have been a physically small side and out muscled. Stockpile the rucks, KPFs and KPDs. You have a different game style when you have too many as opposed to not enough big blokes.

Last edited:

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
33220966780_63cdd7f01f_z.jpg

33220975590_eafaeb1498_z.jpg

33221005580_77f49ea42d_z.jpg

32790465373_fbfeaa41e3_z.jpg

32761666734_1bb48afec0_z.jpg

33604215875_fc9146822e_z.jpg

32790395393_06c4683be1_z.jpg

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
the frampton ladhams ruck forward combo is going to be pretty special for us over the next 10 years.
drew is a gun, does alot of impressive workin close. reads the game well before anyone else does, has amazing vision.
snelling is a class above
sturt are campaigners
Out of the players who aren't immediately in the mix for an AFL place, Ladhams is the one I have been most impressed with. A few more games like the one he played tonight and I'll be calling for an extension to his contract. He probably won't play AFL this year and with Ryder in form and Ken's aversion to two rucks it may be a few years but we definitely will need him at some time.

both played well, arch worked well through the middle, burst clear a few times, toumpas played off the half back line i think,set up so much play, skills were good, its a role thatsuits him well at sanfl level

I could deffs see Toumpas playing down back a bit this season. The past few games he'd turn it over when he was up the ground but for some reason yesterday he was able to use the ball, went backwards or switched the play at the right times instead of banging it up the ground to nobody. Good goal too from outside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back