Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody gives a fu** about SANFL flags or history, deal with it.
Of course they don’t. But let’s be honest, No one gives a s**t about vfl flags either. That’s one for the history buffs when players drop kicked on muddy fields. Community games. Great fun. But no one cares about the flags except for a few older fans. Certainly no one counts them nationally. So let’s not pretend like Carlton’s history is any more glorious than Ports because anyone born in the last 30 years only remembers a bottom feeding club who’s only purpose is to make up the numbers.

I'm not a big Eddie fan but he isn't doing anything wrong here, Port came into the league with the teal coloured jumper and have changed it almost every season since.

Eddie for the showdown allowed Port to wear the prison bars, like any spoilt child they want more.

Collingwood have been very loyal to the jumper maybe Port should take some notes.

Of course they don’t. But let’s be honest, No one gives a sh*t about vfl flags either. That’s one for the history buffs when players drop kicked on muddy fields. Community games. Great fun. But no one cares about the flags except for a few older fans. Certainly no one counts them nationally. So let’s not pretend like Carlton’s history is any more glorious than Ports because anyone born in the last 30 years only remembers a bottom feeding club who’s only purpose is to make up the numbers.

Exactly.

Premierships won more than a generation of players ago are only relevant to the club that won them. I don't expect other people to give a s**t about Port's 2004 flag, let alone a bunch of flags won before any current supporter was alive.

I don't expect anyone else to care about Port's SANFL history. I just expect them to accept that Port people care about it and to allow us to wear our guernsey.

I'm not a big Eddie fan but he isn't doing anything wrong here, Port came into the league with the teal coloured jumper and have changed it almost every season since.

Eddie for the showdown allowed Port to wear the prison bars, like any spoilt child they want more.

Collingwood have been very loyal to the jumper maybe Port should take some notes.

We are loyal the jumper, that's what this entire campaign is about. We've been forced into other guernseys since joining the AFL and they don't feel right because they aren't the jumper we're loyal to.

We've got 20k more members than you and more rivals that bring in big crowds than your provincial league team.

LOL your VFL flags (not that there are too many) aren't worth as much as our SANFL flags by the only objective measure available, so deal with that.

Maybe if you win a few more Premierships and get closer to our level we can talk.

Don't really understand why Port would want to wear a SANFL guernsey when they are the POWER and have been for a quarter of a century?

Ditto when they try to claim the SANFL flags.

If they claim the SANFL flags for the AFL side, then how many flags does the SANFL side have left over? They also can't claim the SANFL flags because they were won by a different team in a different competition.

Now, as much as I love to bring the same argument to the old VFL clubs, it really isn't the same thing, as the current Vic AFL teams are the old VFL teams. The league evolved from the old VFL. The new VFL are not the old VFL teams, otherwise would Williamstown claim Collingwood's flags as their own, etc?

Port simply need to embrace their identity, not try to cling on to the successes of their reserves team. That's something Freo would do....
Clubs win flags, not sides.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Arrogant!? You question my arrogance after 'there was no agreement, produce it'. Like I have a copy of the agreement, when you know I don't.

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with Port wearing their pb in showdown games.

What I do have an issue with is some Port fans advocating for regular wearing of it with a magpie emblem no less.

No. fcku off, we were in the comp first and wore the stripes before the pb jumper existed.

If you want to talk about arrogance, it's this attitude that you can just walk into a competition demand what your team can wear colours and logos that obviously has too much similarity and effect to another club that was in the comp before the one these w***** are advocating for.
Port are not asking to wear it with a Magpie logo.

Like this year we will wear it with our club logo.

I'm a little confused over this. Port Adelaide is known as the Port Adelaide Power in the AFL, not the magpies. They joined the AFL under that name and identity, so I don't see why Collingwood should accept Port trying to steal their identity - because it's obvious that they are. If port are so adamant to be the magpies, then they should stick to the SANFL.
I hope this is a poor attempt at a troll. Otherwise...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are loyal the jumper, that's what this entire campaign is about. We've been forced into other guernseys since joining the AFL and they don't feel right because they aren't the jumper we're loyal to.
[/QUOTE

That’s not strictly correct, is it?

No one ‘forced’ Port into a different guernsey. It was a condition of entry into the AFL that Port adopt an AFL brand that was different to the SANFL brand. Presumably this was because, by any reasonable assessment, Port’s brand was substantially similar as an existing AFL club’s - Collingwood.

The colours and guernsey were proposed by the club for their AFL bid, and were not selected and imposed on the club by the AFL.

That’s not strictly correct, is it?

No one ‘forced’ Port into a different guernsey. It was a condition of entry into the AFL that Port adopt an AFL brand that was different to the SANFL brand. Presumably this was because, by any reasonable assessment, Port’s brand was substantially similar as an existing AFL club’s - Collingwood.

The colours and guernsey were proposed by the club for their AFL bid, and were not selected and imposed on the club by the AFL.

We weren't forced into any specific guernsey, we made those very 90s mistakes all on our own. But we were forced into a guernsey different from the Prison Bars, which is what I was referring to.

We weren't forced into any specific guernsey, we made those very 90s mistakes all on our own. But we were forced into a guernsey different from the Prison Bars, which is what I was referring to.

I’m not sure that’s correct either. I don’t think the PB design would’ve been objected to, just the colours.

My admittedly hazy recollection of the time was that Port actively sought to differentiate themselves from the SANFL brand in the media. I even recall seeing on this site somewhere, a letter written by the club that made the point that Port Power and PAFC were separate clubs. I don’t understand why this stance was taken; it was wrong to try to detach the AFL team from the SANFL heritage, and the decision to do so is not any more understandable years later.

I get the passion for the B&W PB guernsey, I just think you’re up against it as long as another club in the competition is using the same colours, and a substantially similar guernsey.

Stick teal in the PB design so it reflects your AFL colours and you’d be home and hosed. Plus I reckon the club would sell a metric s**t-tonne of them.

Arrogant!? You question my arrogance after 'there was no agreement, produce it'. Like I have a copy of the agreement, when you know I don't.

Just to be clear, I don't have an issue with Port wearing their pb in showdown games.

What I do have an issue with is some Port fans advocating for regular wearing of it with a magpie emblem no less.

No. fcku off, we were in the comp first and wore the stripes before the pb jumper existed.

If you want to talk about arrogance, it's this attitude that you can just walk into a competition demand what your team can wear colours and logos that obviously has too much similarity and effect to another club that was in the comp before the one these w***** are advocating for.

So let's get this right! Your club and president say a contract exists, but have never produced it.

Just to be clear, you are arrogant, very.

No contract, no right to the colours.

Grow up sunshine.

So now that Collingwood is out of the finals anyway and playing against Richmond that have no problem with the traditional jumper, and a current season version of the prison bars exists...why not?

Great, indepth and detailed response..

So..
Do you think Collingwood members should vote on it?

Have you thought of how you’d feel if the shoe was on the other foot?..

Do you think Port’s AFL team should be allowed to bring the magpie back as a mascot?.. could that be the next thing they ask for?

I just think these are very valid questions..

Where does it all end...

No magpie, that's Collingwood. Prison bars in the showdown. Keep current mascot and logo. Happy with that. Is it so much to ask?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back