Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow - that sounds nasty. Poor old thing. Good on him for playing on, it can’t have been easy.

At first, when they indicated he played on with a cracked rib, I thought he had been brave to continue. A pneumothorax is a completely different thing. Severe blunt force from Houston's elbow -enough to impact both rib and lung would lead to lack of oxygen and chest pain at the very least. Madness to play through that. Danger-ous in fact.
Anyway it must be limited, as he was released and driven home from Adelaide, in which case a conservative 3-4 weeks would be my guess.

The folk knocking Guthrie last night have got me tossed.

He had a real go while others around him were struggling, including Stewart. In fact at time he looked a bit like Stewart. No-one else down back was half as good; indeed they all looked as slow as wet weeks. Henry is not what he was, nor Bews. Stewart had no influence.

At least Guthrie got a few kicks.

Sometimes we overanalyse.

He was deplorable.
Third-most possessions (most for Geelong)
Seven marks
Second-most metres gained
Equal-most intercept possessions (with Aliir)
Eight contested possessions (fourth-most on the ground, third-most for Geelong)

AFL Match Stats - Power v. Cats

So it seems like our team could have done with plenty more 'deplorability' out there against Port.

Last edited:
The folk knocking Guthrie last night have got me tossed.

He had a real go while others around him were struggling, including Stewart. In fact at time he looked a bit like Stewart. No-one else down back was half as good; indeed they all looked as slow as wet weeks. Henry is not what he was, nor Bews. Stewart had no influence.

At least Guthrie got a few kicks.

Sometimes we overanalyse.
I am knocking him because I am holding him to a higher regard than he showed last night. His intent was genuinely good and I wish others matched his positioning and moving with the play, but he was too often costly for us moving the ball. Not digging in at anything other than how I saw his affect on the game.

At first, when they indicated he played on with a cracked rib, I thought he had been brave to continue. A pneumothorax is a completely different thing. Severe blunt force from Houston's elbow -enough to impact both rib and lung would lead to lack of oxygen and chest pain at the very least. Madness to play through that. Danger-ous in fact.
Anyway it must be limited, as he was released and driven home from Adelaide, in which case a conservative 3-4 weeks would be my guess.
Well, he did seem pretty restricted- I thought at one point - why isn’t he going for that ball? Now we know.
Given the year we are having, almost certainly at least 6 weeks. :oops: He will get back just in time for someone else to get a decisive injury!

Question for you guys, we all know Port are looking to bring Sav in next year but based on last nights performance and the fact that there captain and defender Jonas cant get a game surely he would be better off resigning with us dont you think?

He might want to win a premiership? 🤔Sorry 😮
Question for you guys, we all know Port are looking to bring Sav in next year but based on last nights performance and the fact that there captain and defender Jonas cant get a game surely he would be better off resigning with us dont you think?

Zuth was much more "involved" than Stewart last night.

Even if he made some blues at least he was out there giving himself a chance to do something positive.
Replace involved with effective too if you’d like. Horrendous game from Stewart.

Third-most possessions (most for Geelong)
Seven marks
Second-most metres gained
Equal-most intercept possessions (with Aliir)
Eight contested possessions (fourth-most on the ground, third-most for Geelong)

AFL Match Stats - Power v. Cats

So it seems like our team could have done with plenty more 'deplorability' out there against Port.
We had a lot of issues last night, I think Guthrie was far from the worst of them, watching Stewart disappear completely compared to his previous game was much more of an issue for us last night.

We just haven't had the bounce of the ball this season, and to be honest if we used all our good fortune and luck last year then i am still pretty content with it all.
The biggest weakness we had was in the midfield in terms of depth, and that has been the area impacted the most by injuries. We looked great the first quarter when all fresh and well, Blitz as a solo ruck just doesn't work and that roll of the dice was a boo boo, he starts to get worn down especially against the big aggressive physical rucks, and it further weakens our midfield depth. We just couldn't get our hands on the ball as he started getting smashed just in the contest the longer it went and by then Danger and Bruhn were in strife and Port waltzed it out of the middle at will, the defenders are all getting exposed with zero pressure up the ground and then because they start to feel the pinch they start making mistakes and get reactive.
Really the flow on from Rhys being hurt has been huge as it just has caused a domino effect.

Jezza must be carrying something, he looks a shadow of himself and they won't even chuck him on the ball to try run him into the game. Do we have access to the GPS numbers? I would suggest his distance or repeat sprints would be well well down on the start of the year. If Neale is fit soon I half wonder if they give him a game with Hawk and just give Jez a couple of weeks off... but the season may be over by that point anyway.

It is such a shame that Clark is hurt, perfect time to give him some bonus games that will pay off in the coming years... but as is our season, it just hasn't bounced our way.

It isn't the end of the world, but some forward planning may start to take precedence over all in on this year... some may say that is a s**t thing to say but for me i would prefer getting games into Knev, Bowes etc and dropping games rather than a frantic sprint to finals that just ends in us cooked and smacked in an elimination final anyway.

We have been unbelievably blessed as Cats fans so I don't see the need to get too down in the dumps about it all... just is what it is this year
Yours is an excellent post in total - but the bolded part is so true

Geelong got that Premiership that they needed last year to validate a very good/strong decade

With both Coll and Pt Ade if they play off in this years GF - It can be a brilliant/fantastic game - but whoever loses - even if it is by a single point - then it is a monumental disaster - because both those clubs are desperate for a Premiership - just like Geel were last year

Coll need a flag - because they have had a pretty strong consistent past 20 years - but they need that 2nd flag -then all is good - they have got a fair return for a fair/consistent effort

Port Ade have been challenging for a quite a few years - but falling short - plus they need a Premiership to put the 2007 debacle right on the back burner

Yours is an excellent post in total - but the bolded part is so true

Geelong got that Premiership that they needed last year to validate a very good/strong decade

With both Coll and Pt Ade if they play off in this years GF - It can be a brilliant/fantastic game - but whoever loses - even if it is by a single point - then it is a monumental disaster - because both those clubs are desperate for a Premiership - just like Geel were last year

Coll need a flag - because they have had a pretty strong consistent past 20 years - but they need that 2nd flag -then all is good - they have got a fair return for a fair/consistent effort

Port Ade have been challenging for a quite a few years - but falling short - plus they need a Premiership to put the 2007 debacle right on the back burner
Both teams have enough young talent and depth, and great MF's to be able to back up for a few years, it seems.
Port list looks more complete.
Pies do have some iffy players- Elliott, De Goey, (Cox)that they rely on who for various reasons can go missing (injury, suspension, etc.)
Port this year seem settled, fit, robust, and brilliant.
Last night will only enhance their confidence, much like that final where the Tigers finally beat us, on their way to a Premiership v Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather he re-signed with us than resigned;)

You just know with Esava that if he left us he would probably dominate elsewhere

Our season has been derailed by injuries. It’s as simple as that. We have rarely had our best 22 on the park, and those that have missed matches have never been fully fit.

It’s not that we miss Selwood, it’s not that we don’t have a top 5 draft pick midfielder, Rhys Stanley isn’t the missing puzzle piece.
Should put the cue in the rack for the season I reckon. Let everyone get fit, play a few young blokes. Let those going to retire to do so gracefully and then have a reset.

We have had just about a key injury or more in terms of structure every bloody week from round one. It is too much.

I loved the first part of the game last night but when Danger was hit we went backwards. No coincidence.

I couldn't watch the second half cos of commitments but it did not look pretty from afar and comments support that.

Last edited:
As others have said, we can't complain much as supporters with the run we've had. But feel a bit sad about that Port burst in the 3rd quarter. Credit where credits due, it was great footy from them and we couldn't keep up.

But it wasn't long ago that we were doing exactly that to our opponents.
Yep, their turn now. What we experienced last year was perfect and I believe not reproducible any time soon. We have had a fantastic run, and it will come to an end, and more so if we are not extracting everything out of our superstars in Cameron, Hawkins, Stewart and Blicavs.
Port played breathtakingly well, again, and are great to watch.
We can not hope to rEly on 4q performances from JC and Danger

Seriously?
If Zuthrie was deplorable how would you describe Jack Henry's game......both Henries for that matter ;)
Jack was ok first half. He played like a player bereft of preseason, match conditioning, & confidence

Yes and GAS would have kicked plenty again. Dermie would have struggled to get up but would have played of course.

Both great teams
GAS 10, I would imagine, given his finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

Back