Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Not good enough

Credit to Port for finding several more gears when needed.

giving up the 2 goals at the end of the 2bd qtr opened the door in the 3rd and we allowed a 50 point turnaround.

Doing it with no real ruck - PFD gets a solid corkie, Duncan and Holmes ran outta gas.

Zuth and Merrick tried hard but too few in support.

Mid field group did well early but then wheels came off and it was done

Port will prob go deep this year.

Well front up against next week but sitting 6-7 its gonna be a battle.

Lost 7% as well - not a good idea.

Demons next week.

Too many players down too much and its just not happening.

Be mad but dont play the man and dont lose the plot.

GO Catters

It's like I said early in the Game Day thread. There were some reasons to believe the Cats could challenge Port tonight and other reasons as to why Port might thrash us too. Sadly, the thrashing has come true. Our lads have a long way to go to regain the ability to match the best teams in the competition this year. Personally, I think our season is shot. Port just too good for us.

Phuking terrible after playing so well in the first quarter. What a Jekyll and Hyde performance. Need a rocket up them at training this week. Leaking far too many goals this season. Seriously wtf. Where was Danger too?? Injured? Cameron was poor as well. The amount of intercept marks they took in the second half was ridiculous. Bloody disappointing.

Tough from here.
Port have a really good mix; they have some deficiencies but they are very much capable of winning the Premiership in 2023.
For the first time on record I will say: I don't think we can.

Once Tanner Bruhn went down with a shoulder we looked very thin in the middle; Blicavs looked great early but became more and more stretched as the game went on, Atkins was quiet, Dangerfield had a decent first half but was hampered in the 2nd - Mitch Duncan looked stilted and tentative.

We've got to play Mitch Knevitt as often as possible; he gives us a bit more coverage in the middle and we sure as hell need it.

It was a bitter loss given the bright start we made tonight; Rohan was at his bouncy best early on, our Flea Circus was putting on a 3-small footy carnival.
But despite a couple of big defensive efforts from Stengle and Bews in the 2nd quarter, it slowly became apparent that Port were wrestling control of the match away from us.

Jeremy Cameron had his worst game for the club. He has been well down on form for a month now. Tonight he was a shadow of himself. His ex-teammate Jeremy Finlayson is the budget-Cameron; rangy left-footer who usually plays forward but can play higher up the ground. He's been huge this year; I never really rated him at GWS and was surprised when Port went after him; he was good for them last year too.

Ollie Henry always plays like we're sitting on a 10-goal lead. I'm a big fan of Jack Henry, but he was reactive all night.
Zac Tuohy produced something like his best in the 1st half before disappearing more completely than Radiohead.

Tonight we basically had the band back together, bar Cam Guthrie who admittedly has been a huge loss. But they just weren't good enough for long enough, and now we are in a hole - Finals are no given.

Will be hard to get 5 players good enough to get votes tonight. Was Zac Guthrie and then Max Holmes, and then daylight to the 3rd best on.

Probably the worst games Cameron and Jack Henry in particular have played in the last three years. Scoreboard probably flattered us in the end too. Margin should've been 10 goals based on the balance of play, especially after quarter time.

It is what it is dissapointing night but no need to throw the baby out of the bath water

Port have been in sensational form the last month , and we have had far too many injuries this year with no real team continuity or structure cohesion

Play the kids and move on with a focus on next year , we may make the finals but we just don’t have the list for a flag this year

Well, the good news is this was an expected loss, and with that we could still finish 7th or so.

The bad news is we were so badly beaten in the midfield that it’s hard to imagine how the season can be salvaged.

Which One Thumbs Up GIF by Originals

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh.
It is what it is.
Some players lacking continuity due to injury, some others woefully out of form and some others who aren't quite ready for the load we are giving them.
Nobody except Miers playing career best football, or something close to it, whereas last season we probably had 15.
Can we win the flag this year? No.
Finish top 4? No.
Finals? Maybe.

So, whatever.
Time to look to younger players, not in the "bring in all the rookies" situation but in ways like Holmes and Bruhn (and maybe Knevitt) should be playing bulk midfield minutes for the rest of the season. Guys like Atkins to be phased out. Should look to play Conway at some point if he's fit and ready, should be looking to provide another debut or 2.

Tough from here.
Port have a really good mix; they have some deficiencies but they are very much capable of winning the Premiership in 2023.
For the first time on record I will say: I don't think we can.

Once Tanner Bruhn went down with a shoulder we looked very thin in the middle; Blicavs looked great early but became more and more stretched as the game went on, Atkins was quiet, Dangerfield had a decent first half but was hampered in the 2nd - Mitch Duncan looked stilted and tentative.

We've got to play Mitch Knevitt as often as possible; he gives us a bit more coverage in the middle and we sure as hell need it.

It was a bitter loss given the bright start we made tonight; Rohan was at his bouncy best early on, our Flea Circus was putting on a 3-small footy carnival.
But despite a couple of big defensive efforts from Stengle and Bews in the 2nd quarter, it slowly became apparent that Port were wrestling control of the match away from us.

Jeremy Cameron had his worst game for the club. He has been well down on form for a month now. Tonight he was a shadow of himself. His ex-teammate Jeremy Finlayson is the budget-Cameron; rangy left-footer who usually plays forward but can play higher up the ground. He's been huge this year; I never really rated him at GWS and was surprised when Port went after him; he was good for them last year too.

Ollie Henry always plays like we're sitting on a 10-goal lead. I'm a big fan of Jack Henry, but he was reactive all night.
Zac Tuohy produced something like his best in the 1st half before disappearing more completely than Radiohead.

Tonight we basically had the band back together, bar Cam Guthrie who admittedly has been a huge loss. But they just weren't good enough for long enough, and now we are in a hole - Finals are no given.
Might bring in two Mitch’s next week!! 😮

Will come back and post about the game after I update my ladder predictor. Think I need Cats to win last 7 of the season now - so will make some adjustments!

We're probably fortunate we have 6 games down at the Cattery but on current form 3 or 4 of them are 50-50 games (Melbourne, Port, Bulldogs and Freo).

Meh.
It is what it is.
Some players lacking continuity due to injury, some others woefully out of form and some others who aren't quite ready for the load we are giving them.
Nobody except Miers playing career best football, or something close to it, whereas last season we probably had 15.
Can we win the flag this year? No.
Finish top 4? No.
Finals? Maybe.

So, whatever.
Time to look to younger players, not in the "bring in all the rookies" situation but in ways like Holmes and Bruhn (and maybe Knevitt) should be playing bulk midfield minutes for the rest of the season. Guys like Atkins to be phased out. Should look to play Conway at some point if he's fit and ready, should be looking to provide another debut or 2.

Even give Hardie a run.

Jeremy Cameron has gone from being the best player in the AFL (first two months), to now just being an average nobody (past 5 weeks). Initially thought it was just natural fluctuation in form, but it’s getting worrying.

We won the premiership by almost 100 points off the back of a 16 game winning run less than a year ago. To decline this precipitously in such a short span of time is absolutely worth complaining about. Missing the eight off the back of a premiership-winning year is never acceptable.
Yes, but surely you concede the reasons, which are multiple, but highlighted by gross lack of availability of very important players. EVERYTHING fell into place last year, almost as if it was a Selwood sendoff.
We are no longer THAT team, a year older, and we simply can not reproduce last year's list and player management.
Plus other teams are more desperate, improved, and have better engine rooms- Port, Demons, Pies, for starters.
Our guys want it, but can not rekindle what happened last year. Easy to accept, and almost to be expected with the age of our list- many very old, not enough of that critical 24-26 yo, dare I say, Narkle's age. Not really saying Narkle leaving was an error.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back