Review Positives and Negatives vs Essendon - Rd 14, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you think this could cost us a chance at the premiership?

It's a good chance that we may have thrown away the chance of a top two finish - we have a hard run of matches coming and this should have been a win in the bank. Finals against Melbourne opposition at the MCG or Sydney at the SCG are what we want to avoid.

It's a good chance that we may have thrown away the chance of a top two finish - we have a hard run of matches coming and this should have been a win in the bank. Finals against Melbourne opposition at the MCG or Sydney at the SCG are what we want to avoid.

That's certainly a pessimistic outlook IMO. The Essendon game proves nothing, it just tells us what we need to do.

We'll have to innovate the forwardline as a result of the injuries (kinda the opposite of 2015) over 9 days. Whether or not you think this loss carries any meaning, I honestly think we'll only lose 1-2 games for the rest of the season, simply because we've already demonstrated the ability to respond this year.

Last edited:
Not pessimistic. After they face each other Richmond and Sydney have far easier runs home than we do however.

We still have 5 interstate trips to make - Sydney four, Richmond two.

Travel always takes its toll as the season wears on.

And it's all predictions in the end. There's no point in assuming we'll do poorly in the coming weeks because of tonight - we just have to wait and see our response.

Ok. To me that's a very weird way of looking at it - to include a full quarter that we lost into the collection of quarters that we "won", but technically yes you're right. Of the 4 quarters played, we won 3 of them. And Essendon won 4 of them. Rather comfortably.

Its really not that weird. I feel like you are trying to make some strange point. There isn't 7 quarters so not sure what you point at the end is. So I will say it another way to remove the ambiguity you seem to focus on. At the end of the first quarter the score was 38 - 1 the game went 42 - 51 our way for the rest of it. It felt worse than that and shows that despite playing like crap and finishing worse we actually dominated play for a large portion of that game.

And it's all predictions in the end. There's no point in assuming we'll do poorly in the coming weeks because of tonight - we just have to wait and see our response.
Haven’t watched the game yet as I thought something like this would happen....although not as bad. At the start of the season though, if you knew we were playing without Darling and Kennedy and the “ins” were McInnes, Schofield and Hutchings this board would have been up in arms given the match committee’s habit of rolling the same names back. They have been much better this year with giving the kids games but surely this was the time they should have tried someone new rather than just the limited few again. I get Schofield as he does his job but McInnes has been playing as a ruckman and Hutchings is a battler with poor skills (McGinnis like). M Allen is a big, relatively paced forward who has been a focal point and kicked a few goals at EP and may have added some structure to the forward line. Either he or Brander would have been better options than making a ruckman the main forward given Hooker is a big back man who likes one on one contests. Probably still would have lost as it seems the whole team were down but at least there may have been some gains in getting a look at other options for the future.

This isn't a wake up call , this is reality for this group. How many times in the last few years have we seen them go to water when the pressure is on. The heat was on early and true to form with them they gave it up , not one player stood up and made a statement they they weren't going to take it, instead just rolled over took it. Too many mentally weak players in this team to be a premiership contender any time soon.

All in the head that loss. Just brought myself to watch the first quarter and we really were off. Credit to Essendon though, they took a lot of risks going up the middle but were clean and cut us open. We've seen it before with our zone that it just has to be a little bit off and it gets blown to pieces. A few of their goals were a result of really bad skill errors from us though under no pressure (Duggan mainly) while we were streaming forward which gives you absolutely no chance to defend. Hopefully a good wakeup call that you only have to be a bit off and any team can cut you to shreds. Starting to drink our own bathwater I think. Hopefully we get back to the fundamentals that have gotten us near the top this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always like your optimism, but we've been slowly sliding since we peaked with Richmond=Hawks, Saints, Swans, Bombers. Last nights game was our response, on our home deck, to losing against Swans? So while we 'hope' next week will bring a response (the crows will be smelling blood), the Eagles still need to sort out structures and the ad hoc forward line. Barrass might be back.
Haven’t watched the game yet as I thought something like this would happen....although not as bad. At the start of the season though, if you knew we were playing without Darling and Kennedy and the “ins” were McInnes, Schofield and Hutchings this board would have been up in arms given the match committee’s habit of rolling the same names back. They have been much better this year with giving the kids games but surely this was the time they should have tried someone new rather than just the limited few again. I get Schofield as he does his job but McInnes has been playing as a ruckman and Hutchings is a battler with poor skills (McGinnis like). M Allen is a big, relatively paced forward who has been a focal point and kicked a few goals at EP and may have added some structure to the forward line. Either he or Brander would have been better options than making a ruckman the main forward given Hooker is a big back man who likes one on one contests. Probably still would have lost as it seems the whole team were down but at least there may have been some gains in getting a look at other options for the future.
Really can't see how Brander or MAllen would've stood up against Hooker and co...Brander had little influence against Swans.
This isn't a wake up call , this is reality for this group. How many times in the last few years have we seen them go to water when the pressure is on. The heat was on early and true to form with them they gave it up , not one player stood up and made a statement they they weren't going to take it, instead just rolled over took it. Too many mentally weak players in this team to be a premiership contender any time soon.
You could say that, but then you could say how many times in the past they've stood up and fought back, even last week vs. Swans they fought back and fought the entire game out. They fought back and won against the Tigers after being blitzed, many games really. They fought back against Port in semi finals. They slogged it out against Hawks and Carlton and Saints in ugly games. Not sure how that argument stands up.. but undeniably they were pathetic last night, looked shellshocked and gassed.

-ve
The midfield was absolutely an embarrassment in that first quarter, were smashed from the get go and were poor all night. They were stagnant and reactive and the work rate was god awful
Naitanui was not on, can’t remember a hitout to advantage until he finally hit Shuey in the last minute of the game.
The whole team was just complacent. Watching from the ground there was no run. When we did get the ball, you would look up field and no player was running to present an option. It was bizarre

+ve
I have now saved nine hours of my life not watching the replays of the last three games

Waking up this morning :)

groundhog-day-gif-7.gif

- one of the dumbest games I've seen this club play, and at such a crucial stage of the year! We clearly arent good enough to play with our heads up our arses...
- Lycett if ever we needed a big game from the big man this one was it. So dissapointing on so many levels.
- Duggans disposal cost us about 4 goals especially early when the game was lost
- Ryan not enough of it
- Jetta - I really dont see the point anymore
- Hutchings
- Shuey
- Goalkicking. Having key position players out doesnt excuse AFL level players missing simple set shots.
- Midfield and defence for gifting Essendon a dream fast start. Scoreboard pressure then contrubuted to missed opportunities as we started to work back over our very average opponent.
- Simpson comprehensively outcoached and clearly didnt have his team up for this one.
- s**t slow ball movement and refusal to run at the defence. Tempo football all game wont kick you a winning score ffs

- one of the dumbest games I've seen this club play, and at such a crucial stage of the year! We clearly arent good enough to play with our heads up our arses...
- Lycett if ever we needed a big game from the big man this one was it. So dissapointing on so many levels.
- Duggans disposal cost us about 4 goals especially early when the game was lost
- Ryan not enough of it
- Jetta - I really dont see the point anymore
- Hutchings
- Shuey
- Goalkicking. Having key position players out doesnt excuse AFL level players missing simple set shots.
- Midfield and defence for gifting Essendon a dream fast start. Scoreboard pressure then contrubuted to missed opportunities as we started to work back over our very average opponent.
- Simpson comprehensively outcoached and clearly didnt have his team up for this one.
- s**t slow ball movement and refusal to run at the defence. Tempo football all game wont kick you a winning score ffs
"...Duggans disposal cost us about 4 goals especially early when the game was lost..."
He needs an eye-check. It appears to me he is colour blind. Beautiful pass but not to the team mates but to the opposition!

Not watching another game for the rest of the year, apart from the one I have tickets for. Bookmark it now folks, we won't win the flag this year. If the players can't be bothered, neither can I.

Ok ok it's too easy to ramble on about just how shambolic that benny Hill game was, time to move on...

First up is giving full credit to Essendon :essendon: we've all been too busy bashing our own performance to acknowledge how well they played :clapping:

Secondly it's time to pay even more homage to Sexy Elliot :eggplant: :fire:

602624_gp.jpg

22 Disposals, 13 contested possessions (game high), 12 tackles (game high) and 5 clearances. Another quality performance from this majestic beast :boar:

Well I was spewing I had an indoor cricket game and would miss the first half...... obviously a blessing.

Watched us butcher easy shots at goal in the 3rd. Drove home and missed the 4th.

6 goals 16 FFS. Total lack of structured defense and pressure in the first half.

Mentally weak and found out. We get swollen heads and ahead of ourselves far too often. Could cost us a gf apperence that performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back