Review Positives and Negatives vs Essendon - Rd 14, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

+ headed into 4 tough games there's obviously little difference between a game or two clear on top, and third. You could tell this by the way we attacked the game. Especially as an interstate team with the prespect of a home prelin final in play.

Our negatives are the same as they have been since Simpson took over.

Can't arrest a run on by another team.
Lacklustre performances from key players
Players weakness getting exposed over and again and the coach has done nothing to address those weaknesses it seems. (See Jetta and masten and our s**t goal kicking when under pressure)
Simpson taking 3 quarters to make a move. And it was Nelson to the forward line and eventually after the game was gone McGovern forward. Too late to give him a realistic chance of making a meaningful go at making an impact.

The coach is responsible for this loss. Lots of areas exposed by Essendon have been the same areas exposed for years.
Groundhog Day.

Only positives I can see are it is happening now and not in round 21.
Hopefully jk and JD are back to paper over the weaknesses Simpson can't fix cause he's a Muppet.

After having slept on it, I feel like the result was largely down to a lack of desire, and falling back into negative patterns.

That play in the last quarter where Masten was one-out with an opposition player (dont know his name) on the wing and had the ball looped over his head summed it all up. All he needed to do was tackle and drive his opponent over the line - instead he stood in front of him like a stunned mullet with his arms out, the guy paused, waited, realised that Masten wasnt going to do anything then just decided to run off him.

It was the most pissweak thing I have see all year, but it wasnt an isolated incident. Too many times last night I saw two or even three Eagles "guarding the space" meters in front of an opposition player (usually in the midfield), and no one committed to the tackle to force the error. Instead, their respective opponents just ran away from them, allowing easy handballs/ dinky kicks over the top that Essendon players could run onto and deliver inside 50.

Its an absolute blight on our game, and it needs, needs, needs to be stamped out at training. Corralling does nothing - it provides no real pressure (only "implied"), and it was worked out by every man and his dog in 2015. All we are doing when we corral is allowing opposition players to spot up teammates in space. Get rid of it, Simmo! Teach the tackle! For the love of Christ!

After having slept on it, I feel like the result was largely down to a lack of desire, and falling back into negative patterns.

That play in the last quarter where Masten was one-out with an opposition player (dont know his name) on the wing and had the ball looped over his head summed it all up. All he needed to do was tackle and drive his opponent over the line - instead he stood in front of him like a stunned mullet with his arms out, the guy paused, waited, realised that Masten wasnt going to do anything then just decided to run off him.

It was the most pissweak thing I have see all year, but it wasnt an isolated incident. Too many times last night I saw two or even three Eagles "guarding the space" meters in front of an opposition player (usually in the midfield), and no one committed to the tackle to force the error. Instead, their respective opponents just ran away from them, allowing easy handballs/ dinky kicks over the top that Essendon players could run onto and deliver inside 50.

Its an absolute blight on our game, and it needs, needs, needs to be stamped out at training. Corralling does nothing - it provides no real pressure (only "implied"), and it was worked out by every man and his dog in 2015. All we are doing when we corral is allowing opposition players to spot up teammates in space. Get rid of it, Simmo! Teach the tackle! For the love of Christ!

Yep. Our tackling for the first 10 games was first class.
Natanui suspension showed that. Now it's dropped off since the saints game.

One of the reasons I felt slightly less pessimistic by game's end was that it seemed to me like the intent was returning by the 4th quarter. Too little too late, but at least a turnaround from Sydney / St Kilda Q4.

I missed the last 1.5 quarters as I was watching the Socceroos, so I can't really offer fully informed comment.

Absolutely pantsed in all aspects in that first quarter. Not sure what happened or what we do to avoid it happening again. We have developed a worrying trend of teams being able to get a run of 5+ consecutive goals against us at home (Geelong, Port, Saints, now Dons). Good teams don't let that happen.

Second quarter was better, but we missed easy chances (but tbf so did they). Should have been 20 points down at half time instead of 40.

The lack of Barrass and JK/Darling doesn't explain why we got smashed in the middle in the first.

I'm genuinely worried we'll lose our next 3, making 5 in a row. Crows will get Sloane, Laird and Lynch back. GWS looking good again and Pies at mcg is very hard game.

13.31 in two weeks is a disgrace. Missing fking easy chances too.

- Jetta’s first half

+ Jetta’s second half
This. I don't want to pot Jetta but his first half was terrible with lack of effort and my view was - if someone isn't prepared to do the hard stuff, they shouldn't be in the team. Then he had his second half and it's why he is in the team. Still frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our short passing game is what got us to the top of the ladder. Now teams are trying to take that away from us, and our response to that has been a fail so far, but as weak as tonight was overall I left thinking that we had at least learned some lessons in the 2nd half.
I expect a far better outcome next week. I'm not in panic mode right now. If we screw up the Adelaide game, then I'll be talking panic mode, but I honestly don't think we will.

Ladder means nothing right now bar our ego in the office

Ladder means nothing right now bar our ego in the office
Ladder is not an indication of current form or predictor of future prospects, but it is at least wins in the bank, and I'd rather be 10-3 than 3-10.

Apart from when we did in round 1, 3, 6, 7 and 10

So in those games the opposition kicked more than 6 up ananswered goals and we turned it around and won?

No I didnt think so.

We let Essendon kick 8 unanswered goals.
It's a blight on Simpsons coaching that he is slow to react to this continually.

Need an investigation into match fixing. All the boys made a killing last night.

Peds was another thought I had.

so ive come to realise my problem was i put so much expectation on the eagles to beat the dons yesterday the sheer fact that we've played beyond our expectations only to get screwed in the last few games shows how infuriating it can be as a supporter.

However a little thing that gives me a bit of hope is in 2006 we had a drop off in the middle too against port and bulldogs.

in saying that yesterdays loss was a terrible loss one of the worst we have had in years however i hope the players are hurting over it

the only positive out of this is the team now realises how vulnerable they are and realise how soft they can be

some players should also be sent back to the wafl based on that performance immediately.

i pray kennedy is back saturday week. the next few games are crucial.

So in those games the opposition kicked more than 6 up ananswered goals and we turned it around and won?

No I didnt think so.

It's a blight on Simpsons coaching that he is slow to react to this continually.
Geelong kicked 6, Port kicked 5, Freo and Hawks kicked 4.

I await your new arbitrary definition of what a run on means so that those are excluded.

No I didnt think so.

Tactically yeo should have gone back early and play an extra man back

We didn’t respect the opposition

Were our guys drunk last night? They were just so slow, sluggish, fumbly and ****ed up everything. Even the most simple things, like on at least half a dozen occasions blokes going for a mark or spoil just completely misjudged it and went right under the ball allowing it over the back. Two instances in particular stand out, Naitanui in the first in their forward line allowed the back over to 3 waiting Bombers resulting in a goal, and there was one right in middle of the ground, not sure who it was, but they sprinted right off the back line then didn't even get close to it, also resulting in a goal I think. I reckon this costs us at least 3 or 4 goals overall last night.

Their speed also killed us. I don't remember us ever looking this slow before even when we had Priddis, Mitchell, Hutchings and Sheed in the side. The were continuously just sprinting out of defence and a lot of the time made it all the way to the other end of the centre square before we could even apply any pressure. Need Petrol in this side.

I know our forward line is young an inexperienced, but surely even a young an inexperienced forward knows how to lead? I don't think I saw anyone once do a proper good hard lead all night. They were all half hearted shitty things which they'd pull out of after 5m. No one down there looked like they actually wanted it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back