Remove this Banner Ad

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+
Didn't give up. We were getting destroyed in the first qtr, yet somehow we stopped the bleeding by congesting the ball ups. If we don't include the first qtr the score would have been 61 - 52 in our favour. I think this is one of those games where hawthorn didnt win, we just lost. (to an extent)
Darling was a superstar - 22 possies, 3.1, 9 marks, 4 tackles - awesome
Scott Selwood and Shuey- tried hard all day.
Brennan and his attack on the ball - wow! Nailed Franklin which was awesome.
Mitch brown - well done son, owned franklin after qtr time (that ******* qtr! grrr)

-
That ******* qtr! Just when we were going to stop saying -that ******* brisbane game', I think itll now be 'that ******* 1st qtr'. Was dreadful.
Inside 50's were shithouse all night, I dont remember seeing any inside 50's coming in the advantage of our forwards. Wtf??
Easy goals, so many times a ball would come out of congestion and they would kick a goal, they made it look so easy. Particularly in the second qtr, we were playing better, then in 2 mins they kick 2 quick goals. Not good enough.
Disposal in general was facepalmworthy.

Feel free to add more.

Another negative is we rely too much on Kerr/Naitanui being BOG in all our big matches, they were both average and look what happens.

Agreed. Naita had 24 hitouts, 9 tackles, 11 possessions, good stats, yet he had very little influence. Was his run being blocked?

Negative:
Disastrously uncompetitive first quarter. How could we come out like that, given the stakes?

Positive:
The rest of the match. We edged the flag favourite.

Agreed. Naita had 24 hitouts, 9 tackles, 11 possessions, good stats, yet he had very little influence. Was his run being blocked?
Yes.

Positives
-Promising fightback in that second half.
-Brennan coming on as sub, tough as nails and ran hard. Taught Franklin a lesson in toughness too - it's not all about the fancy circus stunts.
-Schofield and Darling played the best game of their careers. Schofield ran very hard both ways and was courageous on many occasions. Darling presented well and even managed to accumulate possessions outside the forward 50 - could play irregular stints in the midfield in years to come.

Negatives
-I'm worried that Gaff has been exposed. Teams will look to negate his hard running and clean uncontested possessions on a more regular basis. Had a 10 possession last quarter when the game was all but over, but his 5 possessions in the first three quarters was worrying especially when the game wasn't yet a blow-out
-A lot of Embley's 28 possessions were rubbish. He isn't playing the same role as he was last year when he had the best year of his career. With Rosa out, I thought he would slot into the permanent winger role. He just isn't that prolific as a midfielder running into stoppages after the bounce.
-The coaches may have taken the 'running' game-plan a little too literally. Strijk offered very little run and I still stand by the opinion that Lynch would have been a better option.
-Our ball use was piss poor in the first quarter and we were never a chance of winning the game after that. It was like Hawthorn had a 6 goal handicap in their favour before the game even started - any fightback from us was ultimately going to fall short.

+
Didn't give up. We were getting destroyed in the first qtr, yet somehow we stopped the bleeding by congesting the ball ups. If we don't include the first qtr the score would have been 61 - 52 in our favour. I think this is one of those games where hawthorn didnt win, we just lost. (to an extent)
Darling was a superstar - 22 possies, 3.1, 9 marks, 4 tackles - awesome
Scott Selwood and Shuey- tried hard all day.
Brennan and his attack on the ball - wow! Nailed Franklin which was awesome.
Mitch brown - well done son, owned franklin after qtr time (that ******* qtr! grrr)

-
That ******* qtr! Just when we were going to stop saying -that ******* brisbane game', I think itll now be 'that ******* 1st qtr'. Was dreadful.
Inside 50's were shithouse all night, I dont remember seeing any inside 50's coming in the advantage of our forwards. Wtf??
Easy goals, so many times a ball would come out of congestion and they would kick a goal, they made it look so easy. Particularly in the second qtr, we were playing better, then in 2 mins they kick 2 quick goals. Not good enough.
Disposal in general was facepalmworthy.

Feel free to add more.

Said in the Hawthorn forum that I am probably left lamenting the end of the 2nd quarter more than the first quarter, it was a moment in the game where if we could kick one or even two goals, was game on. But alas. I hope the bombers get up cos I would love another crack. Hope Kennedy is okay, phark me.

I think woosha did too little too late. Qtr's 2 and 3 we kicked a grand total of 2 goals, it was too congested. They were up by too much and we couldnt cut the deficit. We needed to play riskier footy. It was a shame it took til the 4th qtr for that to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said in the Hawthorn forum that I am probably left lamenting the end of the 2nd quarter more than the first quarter, it was a moment in the game where if we could kick one or even two goals, was game on. But alas. I hope the bombers get up cos I would love another crack. Hope Kennedy is okay, phark me.

Was annoying the s**t out of me that we couldnt get anything on the scoreboard. We completely held them up, killed their run, but our disposal efficiency and lack of good inside 50 hurt.

I'm worried that Gaff has been exposed. Teams will look to negate his hard running and clean uncontested possessions on a more regular basis. Had a 10 possession last quarter when the game was all but over, but his 5 possessions in the first three quarters was worrying especially when the game wasn't yet a blow-out.

He has one average game and he has been exposed? Its not unexpected that he would start getting close attention and working through it is a necessary part of his development.

He has one average game and he has been exposed? Its not unexpected that he would start getting close attention and working through it is a necessary part of his development.
Being exposed is different to being rendered completely defunct to play football. All I'm saying is that we could expect a down period from him now that teams have figured out his style and role within our team. But I whole-heartedly agree with that last point you made.

Masten I thought was very good. Found a lot of the ball, worked hard and did some bullet passes into the 50 which were far more effective than the long bomb.
SS was a warrior, put it a lot of effort and I loved it when he took on some hawks going into the 50.
Schofield was very good, tough at the contest and took the game on.
Darling stepped up big time on the main stage, great to see, already seeing the effects of Kennedy back.

Negative

It was the usual story of our press being exposed due to not being switched on and adjusting to the mcg.
Ruckmen had no influence up fwd.
Missing easy goals early hurt us as we never halted the early bleeding.
Didn't capitalise on dominant periods in the 2nd and 3rd.

+
Mitch Brown- buddy looked like he was in for another haul of thirteeeeen! He was well held by Brown after quarter time.
Scooter, Shuey, Masto,Schoey and Darling were brilliant!
We pushed the flag fancies! If it wasn't for that damn first quarter :mad:
Jacob Brennan putting an end to the Cyril and Buddy show!

-
First quarter
JK injury *!!

Darling BOG, Schofield second, Masten a very close third (is getting better and better - we looked better when he was moved to the center sqaure)

Most of the team played well below par, especially Kennedy, Shuey and Naita (looked like he was either really tired or couldn't run well due to a hip injury?). Kennedy did crap all as did Strijk.

Ever since his concussion - Priddis hasn't been the same prolific player. He's not impacting games as he used to, even if he might get a lot of the ball...anyone else notice his drop off????

I thought our midfield congestion worked really well, we just needed to be more composed and efficient with the ball. Hawthorn easily are the best skilled side by foot in the comp by a long long long long way.

Who comes in for Strijk? Surely Hams.

Yes.

Positives
-Promising fightback in that second half.
-Brennan coming on as sub, tough as nails and ran hard. Taught Franklin a lesson in toughness too - it's not all about the fancy circus stunts.
-Schofield and Darling played the best game of their careers. Schofield ran very hard both ways and was courageous on many occasions. Darling presented well and even managed to accumulate possessions outside the forward 50 - could play irregular stints in the midfield in years to come.

Negatives
-I'm worried that Gaff has been exposed. Teams will look to negate his hard running and clean uncontested possessions on a more regular basis. Had a 10 possession last quarter when the game was all but over, but his 5 possessions in the first three quarters was worrying especially when the game wasn't yet a blow-out
-A lot of Embley's 28 possessions were rubbish. He isn't playing the same role as he was last year when he had the best year of his career. With Rosa out, I thought he would slot into the permanent winger role. He just isn't that prolific as a midfielder running into stoppages after the bounce.
-The coaches may have taken the 'running' game-plan a little too literally. Strijk offered very little run and I still stand by the opinion that Lynch would have been a better option.
-Our ball use was piss poor in the first quarter and we were never a chance of winning the game after that. It was like Hawthorn had a 6 goal handicap in their favour before the game even started - any fightback from us was ultimately going to fall short.

Who was on him? I dunno about being exposed from one game, it's probably his first poor game of the year? Kicked a great goal, did what he could?

In saying that I couldn't follow properly. I'm never watching a game at the pub again I don't know what's happening half the time, i'd rather put up with the spud commentary and follow closely & piss off the mrs with my barracking.

Mega pissed off about the first quarter, almost non competitive when we should be at our most ready to take on the best in the league.
That's it.

Given the stakes, given that we were playing for a top four spot. To come out and be so uncompetitive when not in possession is unbelievable. A week before finals.

After quarter-time, we were pretty good and played the game on our terms. But the first quarter was such a disaster that three good quarters against the top side couldn't redeem it.

Seriously, that first quarter, in that context, was a ******* disgrace. It's not like Hawthorn surprised us. They did what they always do. They did what we must have planned for all week. And we didn't even have the mustard to force them to find a second gear. They did it easily. Very poor. A week before finals.

Mega pissed off about the first quarter, almost non competitive when we should be at our most ready to take on the best in the league.

It's our biggest problem when playing in Melbourne. Any decent team we play in Melbourne we get rolled in the first quarter - they kick 2-3 quick goals without reply. We've never figured out a way to contain it so early in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back