Post mortem of Australian cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia's leading run scorer was dropped five times across the series. if Jadeja doesn't bust his hand and Kohli didn't ejaculate inside his wife when he did, there's a very good chance India win 3-1.

The pitches may contribute to some less than exciting cricket but these ARE the pitches that favour Australia. Damp, green, sideways moving flyers make Australia's batting look even worse than it already is, and it robs Australia of the one thing it can do that MOST other teams can't - getting bounce, pace, and life out of wickets through Hazlewood and Cummins smashing the ball into them at high pace.
And if Starc and Lyon played to their normal form there was a very good chance we would have won 4-0 even if they had Kohli for the last 3 Test and Jadeja for the last Test.....anyone else noticed the "brave" statement that started with the Starc's interview before play yesterday where he said that the media has been praising how brave the India bowlers had been in the 4th Test missing all their front line bowlers (except for Siraj) but they've also been brave because the bowlers have played all series, only Cummins and Hazelwood were brave......and then Langer also made this statement after losing the Test....CRINGE.

And if Starc and Lyon played to their normal form there was a very good chance we would have won 4-0 even with Kohli for the last 3 Test and Jadeja for the last Test.....anyone else noticed the "brave" statement that started with the Starc interview before play yesterday where he said that the media has been praising how brave the India bowlers had been in the 4th Test missing all their front line bowlers (except for Siraj) but they've also been brave because the bowlers have played all series, only Cummins and Hazelwood were brave......and then Langer also made this statement after losing the Test.

No there isn't. No more than if Bumrah had played every Test, Shami had played every Test, Sharma had played ANY test. Your startling inability to stop finding excuses is laughable.

I always look at India and think, they have a billion people to draw from, we have 25m, we punch above our weight in many ways.

Kind of.

But at least 3/4s of kids in Australia grow up with access to grass, with room for a pitch and a bowler's run up, maybe some public school nets close by, and the affluence to own a bat and ball. We also have good access to coaching through cricket clubs and schools.

At least 3/4s of kids in India grow up with none of those things - well, maybe a bat and ball because they're cricket mad.

Comparing numbers is a bit lazy I think. Yes, I still think we punch above our weight, especially against countries like England whose kids have similar opportunities to us - but let's not pretend that India's population gives them some kind of massive advantage, cos the majority of their population are still "washing" clothes in dirty rivers and slapping them on dirty paths. Fox Sports told us the story of Jasprit Bumrah not being allowed outside after his dad died - he learned to bowl in a hallway.

No there isn't. No more than if Bumrah had played every Test, Shami had played every Test, Sharma had played ANY test. Your startling inability to stop finding excuses is laughable.
What? You just made an excuse there was a very good chance of India winning 3-1 if Kohli and Jadeja were there and I think you find Siraj has gone pass Ishant so he won't be in their best 11 anymore. Would Bumrah in the last Test and Shami in the last 2 Test make any different to the dominate position which we were in particularly if Starc and Lyon were playing to form......

I always look at India and think, they have a billion people to draw from, we have 25m, we punch above our weight in many ways.
you're still 5 times bigger than us...... :cool:
Having a big population is nice, but high performance sport is mostly just about money. Just look at what happened to the UK's Olympic results when they started to invest in the lead-up to London 2012.

Even a tiny country can produce 11 great cricketers, as long as enough of their best athletes are incentivised to play the sport and there's plenty of resources to help them succeed.

Maxwell, Maddinson, Patterson, Pattinson, Neser, Swepson, J.Richardson, McDermott and Inglis all must be featured in the next test series. Squad.

Pucovksi
Warner
Marnus
Smith
Maddinson/McDermott
Green
Paine
Neser/Pattinson
Cummins
Hazelwood
Swepson

Patterson
McDermott/Maddinson
Maxwell
J.Richardson
Inglis
Pattinson/Neser

Having a big population is nice, but high performance sport is mostly just about money. Just look at what happened to the UK's Olympic results when they started to invest in the lead-up to London 2012.

Even a tiny country can produce 11 great cricketers, as long as enough of their best athletes are incentivised to play the sport and there's plenty of resources to help them succeed.
There will probably be a time where India will be completely dominate. They are clearly not there yet but with their board having more money than everyone else combined and the country becoming more wealthy and more developed, it's hard to see it not happening in the next 20/30 years. Also helps Cricket is still the number one sport there, unlike Australia and England.

What? You just made an excuse there was a very good chance of India winning 3-1 if Kohli and Jadeja were there and I think you find Siraj has gone pass Ishant so he won't be in their best 11 anymore. Would Bumrah in the last Test and Shami in the last 2 Test make any different to the dominate position which we were in particularly if Starc and Lyon were playing to form......

It wasn't an excuse. It was a response to someone throwing up a pointless hypothetical and pointing out that both teams can do that.

Yes I'm sure based on one series they will dispense with a man who has averaged low 20s bowling on Indian pitches for the last 6 years.

Starc and Lyon playing to form? Starc IS playing to form. Aside from maybe an 18 month patch of rare brilliance, his career has been defined by the fact that he produces these great spells once every handful of Tests with not a hell of a lot in between. Lyon's form against India is that he averages 35 against them and close to 40 against them in Australia, even allowing for his huge haul at Adelaide two tours ago.

What exactly makes you think that their poor returns had nothing at all to do with how they were played by the Indians.

Yeah, population isn't destiny. Pathways count e.g. All Blacks in rugby.

But they still play a sh*t ton of cricket over there and as far as I know have a strong second tier long-form competition.

It feels like the Sheffield Shield is an afterthought in Aus these days, they do not play enough long-form cricket and none of the International players join in enough. That competition used to be strong as hell.

More of the narrative that playing t20 hurts player's skills

Brisbane and Sydney have provided a much needed reality check.

Still disappointing to think though that a couple of regulation for Test level 'keeper chances cost us at the very least drawing the series, possibly winning it.

It wasn't an excuse. It was a response to someone throwing up a pointless hypothetical and pointing out that both teams can do that.

Yes I'm sure based on one series they will dispense with a man who has averaged low 20s bowling on Indian pitches for the last 6 years.

Starc and Lyon playing to form? Starc IS playing to form. Aside from maybe an 18 month patch of rare brilliance, his career has been defined by the fact that he produces these great spells once every handful of Tests with not a hell of a lot in between. Lyon's form against India is that he averages 35 against them and close to 40 against them in Australia, even allowing for his huge haul at Adelaide two tours ago.

What exactly makes you think that their poor returns had nothing at all to do with how they were played by the Indians.
Totally disagree, both were in very poor form and those with any cricket knowledge can clearly see this (unless you are bias) but hey let's back the boys in and how "brave" they were to ball all series, Starc lost the ability to ball his stock ball in swing yorkers and Lyon lost the ability to ball his stock ball drift (there were data posted by CricViz that confirm these) and when the 5th day pitch offered no assistance to these out of form bowlers we were too reliant on Cummins and Hazelwood who did all the hard work in the 1st innings all series.

Totally disagree, both were in very poor form and those with any cricket knowledge can clearly see this (unless you are bias) but hey let's back the boys in and how "brave" they were to ball all series, Starc lost the ability to ball his stock ball in swing yorkers and Lyon lost the ability to ball his stock ball drift (there were data posted by CricViz that confirm these) and when the 5th day pitch offered no assistance to these out of form bowlers we were too reliant on Cummins and Hazelwood who did all the hard work in the 1st innings all series.

Very poor form?

That is cricket.

Do Australia retrospectively reclaim the 2005 ashes because Martyn, Ponting for parts of it, Hayden and Langer ‘didn’t play to their best form?’

Do India get a second bite at 99-00 because their exceptional batting line up underperformed horribly?

What a stupid angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The blight that is the BBL just has to move. I don't watch that s**t but surely its on the wane anyway viewing wise. Have to look at the Indian model that has maintained the importance of the Ranji trophy.

Do we need to look at more avenues to first class cricket outside the shield? In days gone by there would be more tour games throughout the summer for fringe players to test themselves against other international depth. Granted this summer we were relatively lucky with two FC matches against India, so hopefully that trend continues.

Very poor form?

That is cricket.

Do Australia retrospectively reclaim the 2005 ashes because Martyn, Ponting for parts of it, Hayden and Langer ‘didn’t play to their best form?’

Do India get a second bite at 99-00 because their exceptional batting line up underperformed horribly?

What a stupid angle.
Bowler in poor form is more concern than batsmen in poor form since you have 11 of them to score the runs (i.e. the lower order batsmen played a few important innings in that 2005 Ashes) but you need to take 20 wicket to win a Test and when 50% isn't contributing you are in big trouble especially if the 5th day pitch isn't doing as much.

Bowler in poor form is more concern than batsmen in poor form since you have 11 of them to score the runs (i.e. the lower order batsmen played a few important innings in that 2005 Ashes) but you need to take 20 wicket to win a Test and when 50% isn't contributing you are in big trouble especially if the 5th day pitch isn't doing as much.

Do Australia retrospectively win the 2005 Ashes because Gillespie was awful or Brett Lee averaged 40?

THAT IS WHAT CRICKET IS.

Lee didn't bowl anywhere near as worst as Starc this series and Gillespie got dropped half way through the series......

View attachment 1043271

Three tests through the series, and Lee averaged 40.

Wow you've made an incredibly good point.

Does Bradman's last innings duck count because it wasn't his best form?

I'll call Adam Gilchrist and tell him the 2003-04 series win in India doesn't count because India didn't play their best.

Three tests through the series, and Lee averaged 40.

Wow you've made an incredibly good point.

Does Bradman's last innings duck count because it wasn't his best form?

I'll call Adam Gilchrist and tell him the 2003-04 series win in India doesn't count because India didn't play their best.
He played all 10 innings and got 20 wicket, look what Starc did in 8 innings this series, you might be able to carry a out of form front line bowler but not 2 of them for the entire series. And you've completely missed my point, if players are out of form they are dropped which happened to Gillespie and India also did this series with Saha, Shaw and Argawal and whether these players would have made a different who know.

He played all 10 innings and got 20 wicket, look what Starc did in 8 innings this series, you might be able to carry a out of form front line bowler but not 2 of them for the entire series. And you've completely missed my point, if players are out of form they are dropped which happened to Gillespie and India also did this series with Saha, Shaw and Argawal and thether these players would have made a different who know.

i haven't missed squat. You haven't made a point for me to miss. One team didn't play at their best. Actually two teams didn't. Rahane and Pujara weren't at their best. Pant didn't keep well. Agarwal didn't make any runs.

I was always under the impression that sport was generally about playing your best on a given day.

Imagine how cheated I feel to find out that results only count when all competing parties are at their peak.

Australia should have replaced Lyon with the plethora of world class spinners knocking down the door to get in the team. Swepson's intimidating bowling average of 34 at domestic level would have sent shivers through the Indian camp I'm sure.

Look i agree to some extent. Im not totally sold on your resources comment as we would be well below what other nations spend for both Cricket and rugby and the Olympics for that matter, but we do ok .
but i think your comment re the British olympic team is very relevant and roughly corresponds with your govts cut to Olympic spending. Swimming is one sport where that has become pretty evident.

But i think smaller makes it easier to identify talent , plus good coaching systems especially at junior level helps a lot

ps lets not talk Olympics..thats just a case now of who has the best chemists rather than the best athletes

i haven't missed squat. You haven't made a point for me to miss. One team didn't play at their best. Actually two teams didn't. Rahane and Pujara weren't at their best. Pant didn't keep well. Agarwal didn't make any runs.

I was always under the impression that sport was generally about playing your best on a given day.

Imagine how cheated I feel to find out that results only count when all competing parties are at their peak.

Australia should have replaced Lyon with the plethora of world class spinners knocking down the door to get in the team. Swepson's intimidating bowling average of 34 at domestic level would have sent shivers through the Indian camp I'm sure.
Would he have bowled worst than Lyon who know, that wasn't the point I was making. And Rahane and Pujara was excellent 2 of the 4 Test so they did contribute to the series, and Agarwal was dropped.

Would he have bowled worst than Lyon who know, that wasn't the point I was making. And Rahane and Pujara was excellent 2 of the 4 Test so they did contribute to the series, and Agarwal was dropped.

So what. Agarwal averages high 40s in Test cricket. If he played to form he wouldn't have been dropped in the first place, and India may well have won the first test. You have made no sense whatsoever besides looking like your nose is out of joint because you didn't get the result you wanted.

So what. Agarwal averages high 40s in Test cricket. If he played to form he wouldn't have been dropped in the first place, and India may well have won the first test. You have made no sense whatsoever besides looking like your nose is out of joint because you didn't get the result you wanted.
What? That was my point to drop out of form players especially if they are 2 of your front line bowlers but we carried them for the entire series so the selectors and Langer got what they deserved.

Im not totally sold on your resources comment as we would be well below what other nations spend for both Cricket and rugby
When it comes to resourcing, the most important factor is how much money you have compared to other sports within your own country.

That determines the quality of athletes you attract, the degree to which your sport is culturally embedded in the population, the strength of your domestic competitions, etc.

Spending compared to your international rivals is... I won’t say irrelevant, but definitely secondary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back