Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

I think that is exactly what will happen. Sure, there will be some booing him but if he is allowed back to the club, the crowd will likely be split 80-20 on clapping him on the 13th minute of each quarter and it will be embarrassing and shameful

surely not

what are you basing that on?

a good percentage of the Crows board think he copped what he should have / should have got further punished

So he dodged questions and confirmed he lied about saying it in the first place

please don’t ever put on the crows jersey ever again you disgrace
C'mon, racism ain't great but there are far, far worse things footballers do. At some point people have to forgive or move on.

C'mon, racism ain't great but there are far, far worse things footballers do. At some point people have to forgive or move on.
At some point we have to recognise that if someone has had over 10 years of cultural awareness training, has seen first hand the cost of racism to teammates and ‘friends’, and has previously gone out publicly declaring there is no place in our game for racism and then chooses to engage in this behaviour, then they are beyond change. His words demonstrate that within his very fabric he is a racist and no amount of education will change him.

This wasn’t an accident - he didn’t walk out on the ground, slip on the grass, and a racist remake fell out. He chose this.

We can aim to remove racism and all other distasteful aspects of our community - it is not an either/or proposition.

His words demonstrate that within his very fabric he is a racist and no amount of education will change him

Don't like this stance, in general - whether Walker does or not is up to him, not saying one way or the other, but people can , and have, changed their bad behaviours over time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At some point we have to recognise that if someone has had over 10 years of cultural awareness training, has seen first hand the cost of racism to teammates and ‘friends’, and has previously gone out publicly declaring there is no place in our game for racism and then chooses to engage in this behaviour, then they are beyond change. His words demonstrate that within his very fabric he is a racist and no amount of education will change him.

This wasn’t an accident - he didn’t walk out on the ground, slip on the grass, and a racist remake fell out. He chose this.

We can aim to remove racism and all other distasteful aspects of our community - it is not an either/or proposition.
Yeah I know it wasn't an accident. What's your answer to his situation? Sack him from the club? Make sure no-one ever hires him for work (football included) again?, Ban him from public speaking... ? Making a racist comment rates pretty low in the scheme of things and people need to get a grip.

First of all, Walker said what he said is wrong and his punishment and reconciliation are needed. Having him disappear now isn't right either, people need to see the process as the country as a whole is going through that process over time.

BUT, what I find amusing is that other incidents such as assault, indecent assault, drink driving and other similar events by current players that caused physical harm and could have led to worse have been largely swept under the carpet. Players have been suspended for a couple of games and them it's been back to business as usual.

The double standard is interesting

First of all, Walker said what he said is wrong and his punishment and reconciliation are needed. Having him disappear now isn't right either, people need to see the process as the country as a whole is going through that process over time.

BUT, what I find amusing is that other incidents such as assault, indecent assault, drink driving and other similar events by current players that caused physical harm and could have led to worse have been largely swept under the carpet. Players have been suspended for a couple of games and them it's been back to business as usual.

The double standard is interesting

There is no ‘whataboutism’ here. Those other behaviors are appalling and need to be called out. I know they have happened at my club and I have not supported the perpetrators.

Yeah I know it wasn't an accident. What's your answer to his situation? Sack him from the club? Make sure no-one ever hires him for work (football included) again?, Ban him from public speaking... ? Making a racist comment rates pretty low in the scheme of things and people need to get a grip.

Of course it is sack him. Just as it is that racist supporters and staff at my club should not be welcome, supported or engaged.

Don't like this stance, in general - whether Walker does or not is up to him, not saying one way or the other, but people can , and have, changed their bad behaviours over time

What more can be done? The annual education programs aren’t enough? Seeing first hand the hurt to Betts isn’t enough?

One thing is certain. You can always rely on constructive, non-bias responses from port adelaide power supporters when it comes to any issues surrounding the Crows.

(of course, I can say the same when the roles are reversed).

One thing is certain. You can always rely on constructive, non-bias responses from port adelaide power supporters when it comes to any issues surrounding the Crows.

(of course, I can say the same when the roles are reversed).

I 100% believe the Port Adelaide supporters who have proven to have publicly (hell, even privately) racially vilified anyone whilst simultaneously displaying support or representation of the Port Adelaide Football Club should have nothing to Port Adelaide Football Club and any support should be directed towards the victims of the abuse rather then the perpetrators. I have been consistent in this messaging throughout this forum on the Goodes, Betts, Aliir and 'Bigfooty is a haven for racist trolls' thread. If an individual is intrinsically linked to the PAFC (think of someone similar to the Ebert family) and would do something similar, than the individual, whether representing the club or not, should have nothing to do the PAFC in the future. The Rowe family are beginning to be linked to the AFC in a way in which the Rowe family is synonymous with the AFC.

I will stress this is a reflection on Walker and not the AFC. Since the findings have been public, Walker has not addressed the media or public as a AFC person. He has not worn AFC branded material, he has not presented in front of an AFC branded sponsor board, and his video was not at an AFC facility.

This is not an AFC action - it is a Walker action. In no way should the AFC be branded as tolerant or apologist for Walker's actions. This is all on Walker and not the AFC. It should again be noted the incident was reported by an AFC employee.

If someone choses to defend Walker and make excuses for his actions, then it would follow that they are a racist apologist and should be treated as such.

If possible, please demonstrate any bias in my posting regarding this.

It is a Walker issue. It is a racism issue. Whether or not it turns into an AFC issue will be up to the AFC.

I 100% believe the Port Adelaide supporters who have proven to have publicly (hell, even privately) racially vilified anyone whilst simultaneously displaying support or representation of the Port Adelaide Football Club should have nothing to Port Adelaide Football Club and any support should be directed towards the victims of the abuse rather then the perpetrators. I have been consistent in this messaging throughout this forum on the Goodes, Betts, Aliir and 'Bigfooty is a haven for racist trolls' thread. If an individual is intrinsically linked to the PAFC (think of someone similar to the Ebert family) and would do something similar, than the individual, whether representing the club or not, should have nothing to do the PAFC in the future. The Rowe family are beginning to be linked to the AFC in a way in which the Rowe family is synonymous with the AFC.

I will stress this is a reflection on Walker and not the AFC. Since the findings have been public, Walker has not addressed the media or public as a AFC person. He has not worn AFC branded material, he has not presented in front of an AFC branded sponsor board, and his video was not at an AFC facility.

This is not an AFC action - it is a Walker action. In no way should the AFC be branded as tolerant or apologist for Walker's actions. This is all on Walker and not the AFC. It should again be noted the incident was reported by an AFC employee.

If someone choses to defend Walker and make excuses for his actions, then it would follow that they are a racist apologist and should be treated as such.

If possible, please demonstrate any bias in my posting regarding this.

It is a Walker issue. It is a racism issue. Whether or not it turns into an AFC issue will be up to the AFC.
Sorry, you lost me at "I".

Wtf was Walker thinking both requesting to go to the bnf and also telling the media he’s asked the club to attend?

That is very questionable decision making that says to me he’s still thinking about himself.

Sure he might like to go but If he attends it would become a circus and a shitshow and put his club and teammates in an awkward position.

and then to actually tell the media he’s asked has really burnt the club lol.

They’re going to be the bad guys now whether they say yes or no. It’s a stupid position to have put the crows into.
“Taylor are you attending the bnf?”
- “I would love to but the night is about celebrating the efforts of our best players and I don’t want to distract from that”

or

- “We haven’t made a decision at this time” sidestepping the question

Wtf was Walker thinking both requesting to go to the bnf and also telling the media he’s asked the club to attend?

He answered a question the media asked

He was on a hiding to nothing once this came out, and that's on him, but he was criticised for not fronting media earlier, criticised for apology video, and now he has fronted media, people get to pick it apart

Superficially Walker has lost 6 games of footy, $20k, arguably a Coleman and AA spot, and plausibly his career - not gonna cry about that, it's on him and that's how it goes

But the pile on that has and will continue to happen no matter what he does, imo, is a bit much

I'm so over this Taylor Walker story. What did he actually say? The media love digging into every story and now that I want to know what was said, everyone is mute on the issue. Hard to have an opinion on the issue and Taylor Walker without knowing the comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back