Training Pre-season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Need More then Improvement from 1 Player
That is very true.
Especially natural maturity and improvement.

But as to the one player we vitally need being on the field fit, a difference maker, to me it’s Wells.

In a way THIS year our most important player is Wells.

Up and about, playing most games, he will be vital to any improvement.
In lies our problem, that a 30+ player from another club is seen to be our most important player at the club going forward. He should have been the icing, to what we have not the main match winner

In lies our problem, that a 30+ player from another club is seen to be our most important player at the club going forward. He should have been the icing, to what we have not the main match winner

So Guess we have Team of Duds and Kids then

For this year, on guaranteed full fitness, repeat, for this year, our difference maker is Daniel Wells.

Ofcourse someone could emerge and go to new great levels, and then they could be a wonderful difference maker (eg De Goey). But as it stands the added skill, silk, decision making of Wells might be the difference maker.

He adds to what we know Pendlebury brings, adds to the grunt of say Adams....

So Guess we have Team of Duds and Kids then
Dave, Dave, Dave is that what l wrote.
I believe our team is good enough to play finals, now wether that happens is a another question.
Just that wells at 30+ plus could and is considered by some as our most important player is a worry for me.
I am hoping that the guy this thread is for becomes one of our most important players this year

For this year, on guaranteed full fitness, repeat, for this year, our difference maker is Daniel Wells.

Ofcourse someone could emerge and go to new great levels, and then they could be a wonderful difference maker (eg De Goey). But as it stands the added skill, silk, decision making of Wells might be the difference maker.

He adds to what we know Pendlebury brings, adds to the grunt of say Adams....
I hope you are right, but it does concern me though

Blair was in full training today.

Had a quick look this morning. They were doing match simulation with AFL umpires.

I always find it hard to tell the players apart when they're wearing caps.

A few blokes were being played in noteworthy positions.

Goldsack forward. De Goey forward. Trav Varcoe forward. Moore defence. Reid forward. Josh Smith forward (and was fairly prominent.)
McLarty ruckman against Grundy/Cox. Presumably because Lynch wasn't training.

Lots of turnovers that I didn't want to see. But it looked like they had done a fairly full on session by the time I got there so that might have been an explanation.

I was trying to keep an eye out for changes in the way we were playing. Nothing really stood out to me as an uneducated observer. Lots of quick transition but I put that down to the bruise free nature of play.
If I had to pick out something I'd say there were more attacking kicks into the corridor than I was used to seeing.

Individuals that stood out to me were Trav Varcoe. Looked in ripping nick. Treloar and Steele were the dominant kids

The most pleasing one for me was Aish. It was the most involved I've seen him at match sim. Not sure how it will translate into games but it's sort of restired my confidence in him. He did lots of one on one work with the coaches after the session.

Based on today I'd have Langdon ahead of Shaz for the second intercepting role, he was marking everything that came near him.
Shaz was taking kick ins for his team but I didn't notice him much other than that.

Thanks for this MkCaptain, Aish has worked really hard over the PreSeason so I hope he gets a break and can become a member of the Best22. Fingers crossed. Just a quick question; did Brayden Sier train and if so, did he make it through a full session and did he get near the ball in the simulation?

I don't think Wells is our most important player but he is our most damaging player.

Thanks for this MkCaptain, Aish has worked really hard over the PreSeason so I hope he gets a break and can become a member of the Best22. Fingers crossed. Just a quick question; did Brayden Sier train and if so, did he make it through a full session and did he get near the ball in the simulation?
Sorry. I didn't see him at all. But nothing should be read into that given I'm not used to seeing Sier's running style or kicking action yet so if he was wearing a cap then he'd have been pretty much invisible to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to see training this morning, just a few observations.
The highlight of the1st 5 mins of match simulation was Faz doing running drills on the outer side. It was that bad. Improved from there. The clear stand outs were Pendles and Dunn who controlled things when the ball was in their area.
Rivers and Hocking laughed when Pendles made everyone go the wrong way. Hocking told Brodie to wake up when he marked and went to go the wrong way. McLarty was ok around the ground.
Reid played forward and back and did well at both ends.
Lots of players took time at both ends including Varcoe and the Sack.
Saw Blair run out then lost him, not unlike match day.
De Goey in the guts was active and vocal.
Crisp in defense and did ok.
Treloar trains like he plays which isn't surprising.
Aish was the one that stood out of the fringe players. Got really involved and the coaches seemed really invested in him. As MK mentioned he stayed on the track afterwards for some one on one aerial work with Budda and Harvey (Leigh Anvil Brown the kicker).

Overall pretty uninspiring match sim but when both sides know what the other is going to do you might find a stalemate is not unusual.

Howe Greenwood, Faz, Elliott, Wells running drills.

Josh Daicos running drills and mentioned to Lockyer that shoulder was coming good slowly.

Hocking not afraid to voice his opinion.

Three most disturbing things.
1. Darcys hair now matches his gold boots.
2. Oxley has very small feet.
3. Man at cafe said Pies were sold out. We all know who ate them.

Three most disturbing things.
1. Darcys hair now matches his gold boots.
2. Oxley has very small feet.
3. Man at cafe said Pies were sold out. We all know who ate them.
Neil Balme was watching our training :eek:

A quick comment on the ball use. Any match sim we’re doing this time of year will see the teams filled with close to half of the bottom half of the list in it. In 8 weeks time, barring further setbacks, the 22 we send out might have a couple of players from that range in it.

I think you can take a bit from it (i.e. Essendon’s ball movement this time last year was apparently very slick), but realistically we won’t have much of a handle on where we’re at until Rd 3.

The fate of Tippett has me on edge over Elliott. Ankle surgery is a big deal, and as Tippett has shown, is not always successful. Remember it crippled Dale Thomas, making a star into an average player. I'm glad to see Elliott is running now, but I will not rest easy until I see his pace and leap are still there.

I think that was the intent, maybe we got a little ahead of ourselves and thought we were further ahead than reality showed.

The fate of Tippett has me on edge over Elliott. Ankle surgery is a big deal, and as Tippett has shown, is not always successful. Remember it crippled Dale Thomas, making a star into an average player. I'm glad to see Elliott is running now, but I will not rest easy until I see his pace and leap are still there.
The back issue hasn't gone away either, they would be still monitoring that you would think.

Big year for Elliott, he has the class and a level of determination we appear to lack as a general observation.

One is a 30 year old Tall.
The other is 25 year old small forward.

I doubt it's comparable.
Thomas chose to go surfing... Again, not comparable sky falling stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back