Pre Season Challenge: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know if any new merchendise will be available? I need to buy some new ones, I've kinda lost my scarf :eek:

Hmm, not sure. I have heard the release of merchandise will coincide with the A-League launch on August 4th. You might want to drop Thunders a PM over at the Stand United forum, he will probably know. I hope they are selling stuff because I want a beanie, a tie, a pin, ....

From today's 'Tiser, hope that flu bug still isn't troubling the squad!:

The Real Stuff At Last

By DANIEL LATO

LAST week they scored a goal, won a match and dominated periods of another, but now the serious stuff begins in earnest for John Kosmina's Adelaide United squad.

On Friday the lure of A-League action becomes more tangible with the visit of Perth Glory for the first of three pre-season cup matches for United.

Last week's training camp in Coffs Harbour has given Kosmina a good indication of where his side is in terms of its preparation - and he likes what he's seen.

"It will be good to get some serious games under our belt and last week our preparation from that point of view has been fantastic," Kosmina said.

"We got two really good, high-quality and high-intensity physical games."

Playing twice in 48 hours, United lost its opening match 0-2 to Newcastle, then beat Queensland Roar 1-0 to break a 383-minute goal drought against A-League opposition.

A bout of flu which ripped through the squad didn't help matters, but Kosmina believes it may have been a blessing in disguise.

"In terms of toughening up, it was good that the players just got on with the job even though they felt a bit under the weather," he said.

Now the focus turns to Hindmarsh Stadium on Friday and the visit of Perth Glory.

Rumours have been circulating in Perth regarding new coach Steve McMahon's unpopularity with the Glory players, but Kosmina doesn't believe it will affect their play.

"We can't expect them to do us any favours . . . they are not going to come here and lie down, they are going to get stuck in," he said. "If they play anything like Steve McMahon played as a player they will get stuck in and work hard."

OK, given we are 2 days away I'm gonna have a stab at a selection:

-----------------Beltrame------------------

--Alagich--Valkanis--Costanzo--van Dommele--

------------------Aloisi----------------------

-----Dodd--------Brain--------Pantelis------

--------------Veart---Qu-------------------

The chances of Kossie picking that side?

Nil. :(

Caceras Set For Adelaide Clash

With young striker Neil Teggart set to be sidelined for at least another two months, Perth Glory coach Steve McMahon has added Adrian Caceres to his squad for this week's match at Adelaide United.

The Glory play their first match of the Pre-Season Cup on Friday night at Adelaide's Hindmarsh Stadium and Caceres' return to the Glory squad will give McMahon welcome options in attack.

The Buenos Aires-born forward was a member of Glory's NSL Championship-winning squads in 2003 and 2004 and has been training with the club since returning from a stint in England.

Under Hyundai A-League regulations, a club can sign a temporary replacement for any player who is set to be sidelined through injury for more than four weeks. Although Teggart's injury is healing quicker than initially expected, Caceres will be available to Glory until the beginning of October in the Northern Irish striker's absence.

The 23-year-old former Southampton left-footer is part of McMahon's 15-man travelling party for the Adelaide United match which will kick off at 7.30pm local time (6pm Perth time) on Friday, July 22.

Along with injured players Teggart, David Tarka and Daniel Vasilevski, strikers Stuart Young and Henry Fa'arodo are those to miss out on the travelling squad.

I am looking forward to the game as I havn't seen United since last season.

A dry night on Friday should rsult in a reasonalbe crowd though I don't think many people know the game is even on!

Your team looks good Ray. What is Kossie likely to go with? Bloody Vidmar I suppose.

Jars458 said:
I am looking forward to the game as I havn't seen United since last season.

A dry night on Friday should rsult in a reasonalbe crowd though I don't think many people know the game is even on!

Your team looks good Ray. What is Kossie likely to go with? Bloody Vidmar I suppose.

I'm buzzing for it, it's been too long even since the game against the silly people. Can't wait to get into the Joiners tomorrow night & get into it again!

I'm predicting a crowd of around 7500, mostly Members, Season Ticket Holders & Football Die-Hards. There hasn't been a lot of promotion but there was a full page ad in the 'Tiser today which should help. The big promotion (TV, Radio, Print) is being held back for the start of the season proper.

I reckon Kossie will go with this: :(

----------------Beltrame-----------------

--Alagich---Valkanis--Rees--van Domelle--

----Dodd----Aloisi---Costanzo---Kemp---

------------Veart----Vidmar-------------

Ray - what time do they close?

ADELAIDE United showed its fighting spirit at Hindmarsh Stadium last night coming from behind to secure a 2-2 draw against Perth Glory in the first pre-season cup match.

Trailing 0-2 in the second-half, United fought back with two goals and could nearly have snatched the match in the dying minutes in front of a crowd of 5263.

A bland opening to proceedings did little to excite the fans. There were several early chances on goal for both teams but nothing which seriously tested either goalkeeper.

The match turned into a midfield tussle until a good break and cross by Naum Sekulovski down the Glory left found Bobby Despotovski, who could only put it over the bar.

Glory got the break on 28 minutes when Sekulovski again cut through the United defence and put the ball across the face of the goal and Michael Valkanis could only put the ball into his own net.

The crowd was silenced early in the second-half with another Glory goal, this time to Despotovski.

The impressive Sekulovski was involved again after he broke down the Glory left to cut the ball back, putting the chance on a plate for Despotovski.

But the crowd were screaming again two minutes later when Adelaide finally made the most of a chance.

Travis Dodd got a lucky bobble in the middle of the park but made the most of it with a defence splitting pass to Ross Aloisi just outside of the box.

Aloisi ran strongly into the penalty area and slammed the ball past Milan Jovanic to reduce the deficit to one goal.

Valkanis had fans on their feet 10 minutes later with a goal to cancel out his first-half effort at the same end of the ground.

A United free kick was floated into the box and despite some close attention from a Glory defender, Valkanis was able to get enough on the ball to put it in the net.

United then took control of the match and was helped in its task in the 75th minute by the dismissal of Glory player Steve McMahon jnr for a raised elbow on Angelo Costanzo only seven minutes after replacing Hiroyuki Ishida.

United then went on the attack seeking the match winning goal to put themselves in prime position in Group A.

Matthew Kemp made a late run deep into injury time but could not beat Jovanic with the last kick of the match - United had to settle for the draw.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16019924%5E12428,00.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a strange type of game, Adelaide United were atrocious for the first 50 minutes and then came home like a bullet train in the last 40 looking quite good. In the first half we had more possession than Perth but we did nothing with it. The main problem was that as soon as we'd get up front we'd lose the ball because Vidmar is not up to the job. He must not start as a forward, god love ya Viddie but you are past it. Please recognise that! To not start Qu was ridiculous in my book, he needs matches to get some touch and he rides the pine for near on 70 minutes! Unbelievable!

Anyway, Veart could've put us up 1-0 within 5 minutes missing from all of 3 yards when it seemed easier to score putting Kemp's corner which landed right on his foot over the bar. We then had a good deal of the play but just could not seem to get it in done in the final 3rd. The Glory defenders gave Veart & Vidmar a torid time and Dodd couldn't get into the game out on the left (note to Kossie - Dodd/Right, Pantelis/Left!) and Kemp was having only a little better time of it on the right. The bright spot was Ross Aloisi who was finally playing the attacking midfielder role to a tee and he had a great chance to level but Jovanic made a good save.

Glory's first goal was well worked by Sekulovski down the left. He gave Alagich a tough time, one of the few times I've seen Alagich get beaten. He got a cross in which Michael Valkanis turned into his own net and we were one behind. For the rest of the half the Adelaide United torpor continued as we looked totally second best all over the park. Glory really should've put us to the sword during this period but couldn't quite manage it.

At HT it was looking grim for the Reds and it got even worse once the second half kicked off. For the first five minutes the Reds were seemingly still in the dressing sheds and Sekulovski broke down the left put it on a plate for Despotovski who slammed it past Beltrame. 0-2 down and all our fears being realised. Then somehow, the lads thought 'we'd better start playing now' and they roared into life with attack after attack and shortly afterwards the scores where levelled as Dodd (now on the right) took advantage of some confusion in the Perth midfield, played the through ball in for Aloisi who slammed it past Jovanic. 1-2, game on!

Adelaide United continued to press showing much more vitality & initiative going forward than before. A free kick was won about 25 yards from goal, Costanzo chipped it over and Valkanis under heavy pressure from the defender got his foot to the ball and put it past Jovanic to make it 2-2. Adelaide United were controlling the game now and were given a further boost when the referee (who was atrocious & in the Glory's pocket most of the night) sent off Steve McMahon Jr for elbowing Ange Costanzo (easily the Reds best player on the night).

However this didn't deter Glory and the extra space opened up the game a bit and the Reds were caught out a few times pushing forward but Despotovski failed to make them pay. Qu by now was in the game (long overdue!) and added some much needed pace to the Reds frontline but still looked underdone to me. Bugeja was also thrown on but the chance to win the game in Stoppage Time fell to Matthew Kemp who, through on goal, hit his shot straight at Jovanic. The ref blew for FT and Adelaide United had fought back hard for a draw after an atrocious 50 minutes.

Some things were very clear out of the performance & night in general:

* Vidmar must not start up front.
* Qu must start up front.
* Pantelis must start on the left.
* Dodd must play on the right.
* Aloisi can play the attacking midfielder role, if he performs like that.
* Costanzo is a gun.

As for as the crowd, nearly 5300 which was a tad disappointing. The fact that there was very little promotion didn't help. There was a limited amount of merchandise on sale at the ground - Fleece Tops, T-Shirts, Flags & Scarves. FWIW, I reckon this years scarves are crap compared to what we had before. Is it too hard to fit "Adelaide United" on to one side of the scarf? "Adelaide" on one side and "United" on the other looks naff. Still either way it was good to get back into it and the craic & singing in the Southern End was pretty good. Here's hoping for a better performance against the Jets next week, lords knows we need it.

Ray Nolan said:
* Vidmar must not start up front.

* Vidmar must not play at all. He was utterly awful.

It was embarrassing watching him, really. He couldn't even control the ball ffs.

Cold night at Hindmarsh. Vidmar and Veart can't play together. They want to play the same role and when the team also has no width we looked horrible.

Upside as you've said Ray was that when we went 2 down and actually took the game on we looked half decent. We really struggle to create clear cut chances like Perth did.

The new song is ******** too.

We were sat in behind you guys in the Southern Stand as well. Were you wearing the SA flag Ray?

sog35 said:
The new song is ******** too.

We were sat in behind you guys in the Southern Stand as well. Were you wearing the SA flag Ray?

We know, Adam was the only one who wanted to sing it, everyone else drowned him out with "Rolling Along".

I was wearing an SA Flag, there were a few of us who were. I was the big guy in the black coat & blue jeans, AU Cap & Scarf. Come over and say G'Day next time. :)

Ray Nolan said:
Steve McMahon Jr. was red carded so he will be out of the Victory-Glory match.

... in seven minutes! :D

Steve "One Minute" McMahon Sr. and his son Steve "Seven Minutes" McMahon Jr. Brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back