TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies
Thought this game deserved a preview thread for discussions on what we would like to see in the gameplan and player specific performances.

On another note, to get to the game do you just rock up and don't have to pay for anything?

keen to see full games from Curtis Taylor, Darcy Tucker and Aidan Corr

keen to see full games from Curtis Taylor, Darcy Tucker and Aidan Corr
Will be interesting to see how many changes are made, or whether they elect to keep things relatively settled, given they could also bring back Simkpin, Cunners, Goldy, Howe, Greenwood, Hall and Archer, along with the above 3.

Will be interesting to see how many changes are made, or whether they elect to keep things relatively settled, given they could also bring back Simkpin, Cunners, Goldy, Howe, Greenwood, Hall and Archer, along with the above 3.
Was mentioned somewhere by the club that a number of the players managed for the Tigers match will get a hit out against the Dogs. I'd be expecting quite a few changes to the squad.

Was mentioned somewhere by the club that a number of the players managed for the Tigers match will get a hit out against the Dogs. I'd be expecting quite a few changes to the squad.
yeah should be a full dress rehearsal with our best 25 or so hence would expect jy, goldy and cunners back and full games for corr and curtis taylor

tucker will be bordeline

Does anyone know how big the team list can be this week? If it's a normal sized squad then the selection will immediately more interesting than last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a hunch all these pre-season Zurhaar midfield minutes are so the coaches are comfortable throwing Cunnington (and/or Simpkin) forward when needed in the real stuff. Then that allows Zurhaar to come in for second string rotations, providing different looks without losing too much on either line. Guess we'll find out the plans on Saturday and whether those three play on-ball at the same time.

yeah should be a full dress rehearsal with our best 25 or so hence would expect jy, goldy and cunners back and full games for corr and curtis taylor

tucker will be bordeline

I don't want to be that guy, but is Taylor in our best 25 based on a full list to choose from and in what position?

I am not sure Taylor is a fit on the wing. He needs to be played closer to goal as a crumber and medium forward when the ball gets loose. We don't have many forwards at the moment that do this. I would be more happy with Taylor having a few burst goals to his name instead of plonking him on the wing and he might get it 15 times.

He's more exciting closer to goal as a target and hunter of the loose ball. Crying out for someone that can crumb and keep the ball inside 50.

Luckily that nuffy coach who controlled the votes is no longer there

We now have a coach that values skills and ball use

So Jy winning was a problem or LDU coming second? Scott had a pretty good consistent year last year. I thought McKay was a bit stiff though.

I rate Taylor's talent I am not sure about his hunger to realise that potential. He didn't make the top 10 in the shuttle run when the players returned in January, I am not sure that he has the tank to play wing. A big part of the reason why we let scores blow out was we leaked like a sieve during red time, we couldn't keep the pressure through the whole quarter.

Endurance wasn't Stepho's strong suit either but he worked hard over the pre-season, came in 6th during the 1.8km shuttle run in January.

You are right though, Clarkson isn't going to have the same poor standards as previous coaches.

Last edited:
You would think that anyone who isn’t ready to play a full game this week won’t play round 1. So I doubt Tucker and Corr will make it. I could be wrong of course.

I bumped into Pickering on the weekend. Asked him if he is managing any North players these days. He said that it’s only Hall at the moment now that Jed is gone. He said it was bull that Jed wanted to be closer to Darwin. He wanted to stay and Pickering did question why we kept Turner but let Jed go. Apparently it was due to our full list of mids.

As for Hall, apparently Clarko is keen to try young players in his position so Hall may find it hard to get games early in the season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You would think that anyone who isn’t ready to play a full game this week won’t play round 1. So I doubt Tucker and Corr will make it. I could be wrong of course.

I bumped into Pickering on the weekend. Asked him if he is managing any North players these days. He said that it’s only Hall at the moment now that Jed is gone. He said it was bull that Jed wanted to be closer to Darwin. He wanted to stay and Pickering did question why we kept Turner but let Jed go. Apparently it was due to our full list of mids.

As for Hall, apparently Clarko is keen to try young players in his position so Hall may find it hard to get games early in the season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I said a few years ago Jed wouldn't be given another contract, despite the gnashing of teeth by poster and regardless the fact I really like Jed, blind Freddy could see his days were numbered. He didn't have a tank, didn't have great kicking skills and despite throwing his body into every contest wasn't able to impact contests like say Jacobs did when he completely rogered almost everyone he played on as a tagger.

As long as some of the younger mids step up under Clarko, I think Greenwood will also be let go when his contract expires and Ben will likely retire at the end of this two year stint.

If you can't run and can't kick, you are going to find your way on Clarko's s**t list once the honeymoon is over.

I don't normally like to predict the outcome for players, I prefer to just say what is or isn't working. I am hopeful that players can correct what isn't working. I think with Jed, it was obvious he wasn't able to overcome the problems with his tank or his kicking, he hadn't really improved over time. These are problems that are much more difficult to fix. It is why Clarkson at Hawthorn preferred to recruit players who could run and could kick, the other problems were easier to fix than those are.

I don't think Taylor has improved, physically, since we recruited him and I am not sure if he can't or doesn't care to. if it is attitude then Clarkson will drop him as soon as he can, if it isn't attitude then he will get rid of him as soon as it is convenient... unless there is a miracle on grass and he can turn things around, it isn't the type of player that Clarkson has rated in the past. Kid has talent so I hope something changes.

Scott's kicking is iffy, but the kid can run.

I don't normally like to predict the outcome for players, I prefer to just say what is or isn't working. I am hopeful that players can correct what isn't working. I think with Jed, it was obvious he wasn't able to overcome the problems with his tank or his kicking, he hadn't really improved over time. These are problems that are much more difficult to fix. It is why Clarkson at Hawthorn preferred to recruit players who could run and could kick, the other problems were easier to fix than those are.

I don't think Taylor has improved, physically, since we recruited him and I am not sure if he can't or doesn't care to. if it is attitude then Clarkson will drop him as soon as he can, if it isn't attitude then he will get rid of him as soon as it is convenient... unless there is a miracle on grass and he can turn things around, it isn't the type of player that Clarkson has rated in the past. Kid has talent so I hope something changes.

Scott's kicking is iffy, but the kid can run.
Bailey is just as skinny as curtis

Curtis can run he’s finished top 10 in the trials in the past

Curtis has X factor that bailey doesn’t, can be dangerous up forward in the air but also linking up through the ground. And in general is better ball in hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back