Unofficial Preview Prelim discussion v Demons/Blues / Gunston watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Carlton, make this dilemma academic.

Our rooting interest this week is obvious. Respect what Carlton has done in the back half of the season and Curnow's obviously great, but Melbourne scare me.

Yes their forward line is dysfunctional, but given our defence is good but not one of the absolute best we don't want to be facing 60+ inside 50s.

Our rooting interest this week is obvious. Respect what Carlton has done in the back half of the season and Curnow's obviously great, but Melbourne scare me.

Yes their forward line is dysfunctional, but given our defence is good but not one of the absolute best we don't want to be facing 60+ inside 50s.

Sorry but my rooting interests lie elsewhere. :devil:

We fear no one, especially at the Gabbatoir.

Pretty good summary of my opinion too.

I feel like we could take care of the Blues fairly easily (though hopefully the guys don't assume that), but Melbourne would absolutely be a fight. I'd rather the easy path at this point of the year.

I feel like we could take care of the Blues fairly easily (though hopefully the guys don't assume that), but Melbourne would absolutely be a fight. I'd rather the easy path at this point of the year.
Do you have a preference for life after that ... ie would you rather play Pies, Port or Giants?

Happy to go on record and say that Carlton have no hope of beating Melbourne .

Not even a factor in my thinking , already steeling for a tough prelim for which we have plenty of time to prepare and are quite capable of winning.

No one wishes any players ill will but a hamstring strain for Max wouldn't go unappreciated this weekend.

Happy to go on record and say that Carlton have no hope of beating Melbourne .

Not even a factor in my thinking , already steeling for a tough prelim for which we have plenty of time to prepare and are quite capable of winning.

No one wishes any players ill will but a hamstring strain for Max wouldn't go unappreciated this weekend.
melbourne track watchers at training saying gawn going at it very light and oliver absent makes me think theyre already a bit battered up. will hopefully be a few more sore bodies after this weekend and we can feast out on a team running out of gas regardless of who it is

Re game time - for what it's worth i have it on pretty good authority it is definitely saturday, time tbc but likely twilight. Same person had all of the 4 times for first finals accurate.

Re Gunston - oh he should not play, shall i count the ways?

WHO DOES HE REPLACE? Forward line humming. Two talls plus Rayner are locks. Ditto Cameron, McCarthy. Others playing most / some of their time there are Zorko, Ah Chee, Bailey. So if Roberston is out, you are creating a spot for him in the forward line that is going superbly, and rejigging the rest of the team. That's just not logical for a player who is borderline best 22 at best. Ah Chee was quiet on the weekend but he does little things that keep the forward line going and kicking goals. Very selfless player. He is really good for the whole mix i think.

NO FLEXIBILITY - Dev can play forward, wing, inside mid, do some tagging. Gunston is a forward, that is it, despite the ineffective stints behind the ball. So you play him and things aren't working, your only option is to sub him off, which in a final it would be risky to do before deep in to the third quarter

THIS AIN'T WEST COAST OFF A TRAINING BASE - He did an mcl. So had quite a bit of time with not running at all, losing condition. We are told he might be 'fit' for the prelim which means at best he is not injured and running without hinderance. But he would be less 'fit' in terms of his running power then when he was last in the team.

Fagan spoke about being too loyal earlier this year, the rest of the MC should all talk reason in to him. I fear the worst.

If we play Melbourne is should be absoutely academic - Fort would 100% have to be in the side of sub after last time. And you couldn't possibly have Fort AND Gunston in for two smalls / mids.

Do you have a preference for life after that ... ie would you rather play Pies, Port or Giants?
Giants, simple for multiple reasons.

1. I think they're the least dangerous. They're basically the same as Carlton - riding a hot streak at the right time. Pies get that home ground advantage, and Port have beaten us recently.
2. If the Giants make the GF, at least one of my kids want to come to the GF with me. (The other has a friend's birthday party at a trampoline venue the day after, so she's not as sold.)

Don't care who we play and thinking we'd rather play X or Y is dangerous. We can beat anyone and that is the way we should be thinking.

both Carlton and Melbourne can be dangerous for different reasons on their day. The only reason I’d lean towards Carlton is because of their lack of finals experience and bed wetting ability. But then again if they manage to get to us they will have beaten an experienced finals side…

IMG_6687.png IMG_6685.png IMG_6686.png
Amazing love for Jarryd Lyons after his last quarter goal. Look how happy his teammates are for him. Momentum, continuity and team spirit are vital indicators in finals and it was clear on Saturday night that Lyons is an important member of this team. He is endorsed by The Over 50’s Clique, who believe he should be a LOCK as SUB in the Preliminary Final.

The Over 50’s Clique submits the following ‘Team Sheet’ for the Preliminary Final.

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Payne
HB: McKenna, Lester, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Fletcher
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Ah Chee
FF: Rayner, Daniher, Bailey
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Berry
INT: McCarthy, Zorko, Wilmot, Robertson
SUB: Lyons

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie error. But I've let a close friend book our holiday this year and it happens to be prelim weekend. So I'll be in Imbil (near Gympie) and I'm tossing up whether or not I can make it back for the game. Long round trip. What makes it worse is the friends aren't even coming now.

Not sure what all the fuss is about Payne, he did plenty of good things.

He was playing one of the better forwards in the competition who at times was given great service from an elite midfield.
Yes Payne’s has made a rod for back, by demonstrating he can play at close to AA level For a period of 5 to 6 weeks. He’s been ok, need to show faith in him to get back to that form.

I
View attachment 1799800View attachment 1799801View attachment 1799802
Amazing love for Jarryd Lyons after his last quarter goal. Look how happy his teammates are for him. Momentum, continuity and team spirit are vital indicators in finals and it was clear on Saturday night that Lyons is an important member of this team. He is endorsed by The Over 50’s Clique, who believe he should be a LOCK as SUB in the Preliminary Final.

The Over 50’s Clique submits the following ‘Team Sheet’ for the Preliminary Final.

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Payne
HB: McKenna, Lester, Coleman
C: McCluggage, Dunkley, Fletcher
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Ah Chee
FF: Rayner, Daniher, Bailey
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Berry
INT: McCarthy, Zorko, Wilmot, Robertson
SUB: Lyons
I have some reservations about Lyons in the team along the lines of others - think he is a good sub, although if we play Melbourne Fort has to be in the team of sub (sub my preference) so Lyons would miss out

BUT this moment was just fantastic. Loved the look of joy and he was mobbed like a first-gamer. He has kept his head up throughout and never shown any sign of toys out of the cot.

Port has been a very high forward half/inside 50 team too and we took care of them easily. Granted Melbourne’s defence is vastly better but they are gunna need it!

Id prefer Fort forward, Bailey on ball and Ah Chee down back.

Havent been impressed by Cocky in the 2s. 10-15 disposals and a goal or 2 a game isn’t nearly enough. He seems to have plateaued as a pretty average state league forward
Agree about Cocky’s form overall but his disposals and goals seem to come in a short period when he lifts his intensity. I am a maybe on his role as a sub.

Fullerton anyone? I know his form in the vfl doesn’t justify selection.

However thinking about Fort verses Fullerton strengths and weakness in the sub role, maybe there is a case for Fullerton.

Fort is a far better choice if Oscar can’t play at all, but he’s hardly someone who can “come on for a quarter to work Gawn over”. I don’t think he would do more than a tired Oscar.

On the other hand Fullerton has much greater mobility so we would not lose as much in overall mobility. I thought neither Lyon (apart from his goal) or Boak had a great impact when they came on this week. I starting to rethink my view how to get the best out of a sub particularly in a final.

Just putting it out there for the sake of discussion,

I hope and expect - Dev in the 22 and Lyon as sub (maybe Gunston)

Agree about Cocky’s form overall but his disposals and goals seem to come in a short period when he lifts his intensity. I am a maybe on his role as a sub.

Fullerton anyone? I know his form in the vfl doesn’t justify selection.

However thinking about Fort verses Fullerton strengths and weakness in the sub role, maybe there is a case for Fullerton.

Fort is a far better choice if Oscar can’t play at all, but he’s hardly someone who can “come on for a quarter to work Gawn over”. I don’t think he would do more than a tired Oscar.

On the other hand Fullerton has much greater mobility so we would not lose as much in overall mobility. I thought neither Lyon (apart from his goal) or Boak had a great impact when they came on this week. I starting to rethink my view how to get the best out of a sub particularly in a final.

Just putting it out there for the sake of discussion,

I hope and expect - Dev in the 22 and Lyon as sub (maybe Gunston)
Love the little hand grenade at the end there knaf 😂

I

I have some reservations about Lyons in the team along the lines of others - think he is a good sub, although if we play Melbourne Fort has to be in the team of sub (sub my preference) so Lyons would miss out

BUT this moment was just fantastic. Loved the look of joy and he was mobbed like a first-gamer. He has kept his head up throughout and never shown any sign of toys out of the cot.
It was an amazing 38 seconds really when you consider that unsurprisingly he was unable to get inside 50 quick enough so almost gave away a 666 penalty (got a warning) and then seconds later was set up beautifully by Zac Bailey for an uncontested posession and easy run in to goal and barely made the distance from 25m out.
Only kidding, kind of, I was as happy for him as the rest of the team was.

Didn’t much like the effort coming from dev , lucky to keep a gig next week . Didn’t look like a kid busting his gut to stay in this team to me

He was our worst player for the night IMO, but still covered the ground defensively quite well. If we are not set on going three talls, he's still my pick due to the versatility he brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back