Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the reasons behind this strategy, so could you explain why we employ this for defense, then midfield and then forward line?
Because of the idiotic 'stand' rule, a player glued to the mark is totally removed from any chance what so ever to influence the play, and the opponent with the ball is given total freedom to do what he likes, until the umpire gets around to calling play on. The man on the mark is reduced to nothing more than a plastic witch's hat. Backing off the mark, at least he can start to react once the ball carrier moves. It may be of little influence, but at least he is not at risk of giving away a 50m penalty for blinking or twitching by a trigger happy umpire. If there is even the slightest molecule of common sense at AFL House [which seems extremely improbable], this imbesilic nonsense excuse for a rule must be relegated to the garbage bin of historic failures faster than the speed of light.

Mate of mine who is a Hawthorn senior recruiting scout and does a lot of oppo analysis has watched a few of our training sessions this year and reviewed a lot of our tapes from the past three years. He says a fit Bontempelli is the best AFL player bar none and that if this pre-season is an indication of what we can expect from Bontempelli in 2023, then we will witness a very rare talent at the peak of his powers. According to him, The Bont is rated by many other clubs as the very best of the best players in the AFL.

Because of the idiotic 'stand' rule, a player glued to the mark is totally removed from any chance what so ever to influence the play, and the opponent with the ball is given total freedom to do what he likes, until the umpire gets around to calling play on. The man on the mark is reduced to nothing more than a plastic witch's hat. Backing off the mark, at least he can start to react once the ball carrier moves. It may be of little influence, but at least he is not at risk of giving away a 50m penalty for blinking or twitching by a trigger happy umpire. If there is even the slightest molecule of common sense at AFL House [which seems extremely improbable], this imbesilic nonsense excuse for a rule must be relegated to the garbage bin of historic failures faster than the speed of light.
Well the irony is that our backing off has been the direct cause of more 50m penalties than I care to remember. It is an utterly horrid rule and I hope it’s abolished asap. But while it’s here we do have to be a little smarter as to how we go about mitigating it. I watch every second of the Dogs and casually watch most other games, and I didn’t see too many other teams backing off the mark around their D50.

That s**t was like telling your ruck not to jump because he’s better than his opponent below the knees. There’s a time and a place to get creative but there are fundamentals to the game that should always be respected.

Last edited:
Just give us the damn flag already. This is ridiculous. Libba looks like he's in the best shape of his life. Even Lachie McNeil looks ripped.
How is McComb going by the way? I hope he improves. I love players who try really hard and become good at the game by sheer hard work, Hope he makes a huge contribution. A bit like Mathew Boyd I guess. Not alot of natural skill but a great player.

How is McComb going by the way? I hope he improves. I love players who try really hard and become good at the game by sheer hard work, Hope he makes a huge contribution. A bit like Mathew Boyd I guess. Not alot of natural skill but a great player.

I don't want to be too negative but McComb is 27 years old and should be at the peak of his powers. He should only play as backup unless there is drastic improvement in my opinion.

Of course EVERY time is an exaggeration, but it really doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things if I say the majority of the time either, does it?

He can improve A LOT and it IS the issue I and others either willing to look or have observed themselves make it out to be, but the simple fact of the matter is a bloke getting THAT many uncontested possessions having that amount of Turnovers, Clangers and kicking efficiency is unacceptable.

Interesting that so many people on here are happy to throw Spangher and the entire forward line under the bus for being "dysfunctional" yet refuse to look at the quality of entries coming in because a bloke runs fast (despite the fact that Bailey Dale, Ed Richards, Caleb Daniel can do it at similar speeds).
Unacceptable is also an exaggeration and I have not been throwing Spangler or the forwarms under a bus

I hate to say it but Pies look stronger. MCStay is a little to similar to Mihocek but will make a big difference. Wouldn’t be surprised if Schache get a big go - like Roughhead.

Some very good draft picks

Henry is a loss - not sure what was happening there. Lost Grundy but he didn’t play and no real influence.

Biggest issue is whether big for are dropping off or will be Geelong invigorates: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams and DeGoey but they are in a good transition with the Daicos boys, Macrae and Lipinski
The biggest issue will be dealing with the expectation. Last year was a free kick for them in terms of expectations and they had a string of very close wins. Nothing wrong with that but this year they will be the hunted not just by their opponents but by the media and fan expectations

I wasn't using their disposal off half-back as the comparison for those guys regarding disposal efficiency, I was using their disposal AT SPEED as the comparison to say that just because you're running fast doesn't mean you can't hit a target. These guys regularly do that, even entering F50. Even regarding that, kicking to a halved contest still counts as an effective disposal, so for it to be an ineffective disposal you basically have to miss your target completely or have it intercepted. Which yes, is obviously going to happen more when going into F50 than coming out of D50.

I don't think I'll ever understand why we as a board were allowed to s**t on Dunkley's disposal depite him going at 72% efficiency while at 11.3 / 14.6 Contested v Uncontested possessions, but Baileys is fine at 65.6% at a rate of 8.6 / 20.7.

Each to their own but if anyone thinks his disposal is fine or acceptable then you have your head up your ass.
Dunkleys never broke lines like Smith would be the obvious answer

happy to keep my head where it is as it’s more level than yours

Just my observations from social media posts and players interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m the same, you can judge plenty from body language. Thi culture thing was always BS. In a group of 40 or so you will always have someone with their nose out of joint or doing the wrong thing. MSM love that s**t nut it rarely has any substance

Agree with everything you’ve said here, but I will say that whilst I agree most of the time players don’t usually transform substantially mid career when it comes to mindset, I’m not sure that’s entirely true for rucks.

I think we see time and time again that blokes can be completely and utterly out of their depth (which lends to them looking ‘uncompetitive’ or soft if they’re copping a hiding) and one day at 28yo it just clicks, they gain confidence in their ability and it all just comes together and they spend the next few years giving back some of the s**t they copped to the next gen going through the same thing.

It’s such a physically demanding role, unlike any other on the field, and it’s probably so front and centre it’s noticed more - ie if a defender squibs a handful of contests it’s noticed but forgotten pretty quickly, for a ruckman they roll up and contest the next contest, again and again and again so there’s no where to hide. It’s just not a fun role for a young ruck finding their way I wouldn’t think.
Agree 💯, you can’t judge rucks like other players. People forget Gawn was very average early on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Timmy I just don't want to see him getting absolutely abused by mid tier rucks in the contest anymore. Even if he breaks even against your Pittonet types that will be huge as he'll dominate them around the ground.
I want him to run the s**t out of the other rucks and make them look slow unwieldy beasts that we know he can do

"Crack in
Contest the footy
Win it at the source
Feed it out to the runners
Spread
Work the angles
Connect with the forwards
Take your opportunities
And try to hurt a few campaigners in the process"

- excerpt from my new book, How The Doggies Win the Flag 2023
First line stolen from Macartney

My pleasure to write the reports. Whilst we are at Skinner Reserve, all sessions will be "open". As for Whitten Oval, it is only a closed session when directed by the Football Department, which is rare and usually ahead of a big game or not wanting to disclose a tactical trial or injury. The club doesn't generally widely advertise training sessions, but punters are free to enter and watch via the Barkers Cafe. Even during 'closed' sessions, I've been known to sit and have a coffee and watch through the glass, or sit on the hill by Mount Mistake and watch through the fence like Richard Dreffus in 'Stakeout'. Lindsay Gilbee never saw me, as I was usually wearing camouflage.
You are definitely pre season BOG

This would make sense. There is a time and place for it and the Collingwood was quite effective how they implemented it. Pies were coached extremely well in this regard while we looked like St Bedes amateurs. If there is some logic surrounding it I am fine. If we continue do it 55 meters out from the opposition goals like in 2022 I will lose it.
Not so well coached when we smashed them

I honestly can't remember it being much of a feature, certainly felt like we did it more last year but that may be because we weren't winning as often and it was more noticeable.
Nothing wrong with the tactic it’s was our ability to consistently apply it. It’s not just the player 5 meters awpay it’s how the team apply it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back