Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard from a reliable source today that Liam Jones is by far and away the least fit player on the list.

Take it with a grain of salt of course but it sounds like there's no walk-up start for Liam.

This is nothing new for Jones from memory. Has never had the biggest tank

It's weird how Timmy's head and shoulders seem so much smaller than his lower body. Probably because they are so far away from the lens.
images

Megatron.jpg

Anyone know their training schedule now that they’re back from camp?
Would love to keep heading down

Unfortunately the club doesn't seem to care about the fans enough to release a simple social media post and/or email to members advising training times.

Since returning from the camp they trained on Tuesday this week. Previously it had been Monday and Wednesday.

I have family who live close to Skinners, there's been several supporters turning up to training this week (Monday and today) only for nothing to be happening.

Extremely poor.

Heard from a reliable source today that Liam Jones is by far and away the least fit player on the list.

Take it with a grain of salt of course but it sounds like there's no walk-up start for Liam.
He's always struggled on that front, never been an endurance athlete

Lucky for us his position requires the least amount of fitness.

It's much more important to be quick & powerful over short bursts.

Disappointing if true. After a year out of the game you would think he would have put himself in a good position to ensure a spot on round 1. Doubley damning if it has always been a problem he he still hasn’t worked hard to fix it. Performance in training and practice match will tell the truth of it and if he is picked for round one then he is at the level the club requires and well done.

Disappointing if true. After a year out of the game you would think he would have put himself in a good position to ensure a spot on round 1. Doubley damning if it has always been a problem he he still hasn’t worked hard to fix it. Performance in training and practice match will tell the truth of it and if he is picked for round one then he is at the level the club requires and well done.
All we’ve heard throughout the entire preseason is how fit he is/how good shape he is in.

Some players just flat out struggle in endurance based running and I’d suggest this is the case with Jones. I’ve watched him a couple of times in match sim during the preseason and he looks completely at the level required to me and hasn’t once looked like he’s struggling or lagging.

All we’ve heard throughout the entire preseason is how fit he is/how good shape he is in.

Some players just flat out struggle in endurance based running and I’d suggest this is the case with Jones. I’ve watched him a couple of times in match sim during the preseason and he looks completely at the level required to me and hasn’t once looked like he’s struggling or lagging.
I also heard that the Bont has put on too much muscle and they won't pick him for Rd 1.

Not sure where this has come from. He's been out of the AFL but not out of the game. Was Best & Fairest at Palm Beach-Currumbin last year in the QAFL. Kept in very good shape, it was remarked on when he arrived at our club. I'm sure he's worked on his fitness constantly ever since. The reports from match sim and training have been very positive.

Seems Ryan Gardner has a different view:

Hun today:

Western Bulldogs defender Ryan Gardner has lauded Liam Jones “incredible” impact at the club as he was handed a three-year deal that completed his rise from football’s scrapheap.
News Corp can reveal Gardner has had his contract extended through to 2026, capping his story of resilience after being delisted by Geelong and dropped by Luke Beveridge for the 2021 Grand Final.
Gardner was pulling pots at a Yarraville pub and steam-cleaning carpets after being delisted by Geelong but fought his way back onto a list as one of the first players taken in the new mid-season draft.
He admits being dropped for the Grand Final defeat against Melbourne was “heartbreaking” after overcoming a pair of shoulder injuries that season but fuelled his 22-game 2022 season.
Geelong’s delisting made him an official free agent this year and gave him some leverage but the 25-year-old has now been locked away for the long-term future.
“I am super stoked to sign on and be given the opportunity for another three years,” he told the Herald Sun.
Ryan Gardner has signed on for thee years. Picture: Michael Klein

Ryan Gardner has signed on for thee years. Picture: Michael Klein
“When I finished up at Geelong I was of the mindset that I didn’t know if my AFL journey was over.
“I just chipped away with those jobs and went to Footscray in the VFL hoping to get selected in the mid-season draft and it came through. My journey hasn’t been smooth sailing and the injuries set me back and I got dropped for the Grand Final.
“To come out last year and have a really solid year, getting this three-year deal is an amazing feeling. I had always had the mantra that I can get through anything and get back up and it’s an awesome feeling to be rewarded.”
Gardner said that period working three jobs including packing boxes while fighting to keep his AFL dream alive actually kept him focused after his late-2018 delisting.
“There was that period steam cleaning, working at the Railway in Yarraville, pick-packing in the X blades factory and studying as well. There was a fair bit going on and I just dug in. footy was the priority but it kept me busy and kept my mind off being delisted so it was probably helpful in that way.”
That long-held resilience was needed three years on when Gardner was shocked to be dumped after the Dogs 2021 preliminary final victory.
“The preliminary final was really exciting and the thought was going through my mind about what was next and the pinnacle of every player’s career is to play in a Grand Final,” he said.
“To get the news I wasn’t going to be playing was heartbreaking. It was a hard period to go through but for me it was about how I could attack that next pre-season. I used that a lot as motivation coming into last year. I didn’t want to be in that situation again.
Gardner looks for an option in the 2021 preliminary final. Picture: Getty Images

Gardner looks for an option in the 2021 preliminary final. Picture: Getty Images
“I sat down with (Beveridge) and he said it was a really hard decision but Keathy (Alex Keath) was coming back into the team and I happened to be the guy who was squeezed out.”
A Dogs backline that looked shaky so often last year now has Liam Jones set to play full back and interceptor Sam Darcy with a full pre-season under his belt.
Gardner believes Jones can have a profound impact on and off the field given his influence in the past few months since returning to the club for the first time since being traded in 2014.
“Jonesy has been incredible. He has so much experience and he’s been good for us already with the standards he brings at training. I look forward to getting the opportunity to play with him a fair bit. It comes down to his professionalism. He is one of the first people at the club and even with his training standards we will have a tech day which is pretty low-key but not for him. The way he attacks those days and every single rep is incredible. It is something the guys have looked at and they are trying to emulate him. He brings so much to our group and that experience we lacked in our backline.
“He is awesome and I definitely feel we are lucky to have him.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still shits me seeing the yokel supporters boo him on social media
I rarely use social media but I did jump on the WB facebook post this morning and had a go at a few ''supporters'' who don't realize this guy held together our s**t backline last year, was top 7 in the BNF and is overall more athletic than all our other defenders. Can't let one bad season ruin his entire career.

Your reliable source must be taking the piss or downplaying the impact Jones will have.

My reliable source (a player) reckons Jones is one the fittest players we have, constantly pushing the defense at training, and is a certain lock for round one as the anchor defender. From what I've seen with my own eyes at training, Jones is for sure a lock unless injured.

Your reliable source must be taking the piss or downplaying the impact Jones will have.

My reliable source (a player) reckons Jones is one the fittest players we have, constantly pushing the defense at training, and is a certain lock for round one as the anchor defender. From what I've seen with my own eyes at training, Jones is for sure a lock unless injured.

This seems to be the more accurate.

Was sure I read something posted in here that Jones led, or was in the leading group of, some of the time trial running at skinner reserve early pre season.

We’ll find out in a few weeks anyway.

Good to see Gardy resign but is there a chance he’s now 4th in line lol?
Jones
Keath
Darcy
Gardner
Bruce

?

Last edited:
I rarely use social media but I did jump on the WB facebook post this morning and had a go at a few ''supporters'' who don't realize this guy held together our s**t backline last year, was top 7 in the BNF and is overall more athletic than all our other defenders. Can't let one bad season ruin his entire career.
Gardy should've played in the 21' GF.

He had shaky moments throughout the year but he was the perfect match up for Ben Brown imo.

Absolutely bulldust I am training weekly and he has been fantastic.
I'm so looking forward to seeing Jones back with us. He was terrific in full flight back in the day even when he was headed under the ball a lot in the forward line. He's so much better suited to a defensive role. Bring on the 2023 backline!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back