Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or have we done more match sim this year?

Admittedly I’m getting antsy for footy and might just be paying more attention this year than others.

Appreciate folks sharing updates.
We always do a lot of match sim but it probably stems from having a longer preseason (due to no GF appearance), training at the more accessible Skinner Reserve, as well as being more open as a club stemming from the review.

Is it just me or have we done more match sim this year?

Admittedly I’m getting antsy for footy and might just be paying more attention this year than others.

Appreciate folks sharing updates.
If a match sim was was held at Whitten Oval over the past few years. Did it make a sound?

Last edited:

I’m still on the Naughton to the backline train. I don’t think Naughton is a natural forward and will struggle with positioning with 3 other talls around him. What was he like in the match sim?

How was his accuracy? Feels like he can create enough opportunities now but it'd be great to see him be more consistent in front of the sticks. His kicking routine is so smooth, I think he just gets in his head / pressure etc at times.
3.2 from memory
One was a right foot kick on the boundary which was a shocker of a kick but landed in Lobb lap so great team kick

Jamara is a natural forward.

I proposed to play him as the medium forward, as he is mobile, great lead, solid kick and great mark. Basically a medium forward…. who is taller.

To play 4 talls, you seperate them, then identify their worst defender and kick it to that contest. IF transition is slow, having Darcy & Lobb as two seperate long options, who are both too tall for most KPD. Their Ruck can only go to one of the contests, we kick to the other contest.
I think we’ve just got to be flexible, there’s no doubt we’re not planning to play 4 tall forwards all day every game, but it’s a nice option to have at times. Sounds like we were trialing it out today with our extra mids pushing up from HF to congest the midfield. Gives us a nice defensive game mode, clog the middle slow the game down but kick long to the tall timbers.

The sub allows us that flexibility this year, sub a tall off/on if it’s not working or we need a change etc

Like others have pointed out 4 talls doesn’t mean they’re all gonna sit in the forward line together they’ll rotate through bench and ruck. It’ll limit our mid rotations but we have a super strong, endurance heavy bunch of mids - utilise it to allow the flexibility of extra talls.

Wish he’d get a bloody haircut.

I used to say the same about Bont he was always nervously pushing his hair out of his eyes before set shots.

It’s an unnecessary distraction .

Bloody hippies a spell in the army would do them good. Bev should do an inspection every morning and if their hair is below the collar line they’re not in the 22.

I used to say the same about Bont he was always nervously pushing his hair out of his eyes before set shots.

Bloody hippies a spell in the army would do them good. Bev should do an inspection every morning and if their hair is below the collar line they’re not in the 22.
So are their peckers! We should cut them off too so they only focus on footy!

I think we’ve just got to be flexible, there’s no doubt we’re not planning to play 4 tall forwards all day every game, but it’s a nice option to have at times. Sounds like we were trialing it out today with our extra mids pushing up from HF to congest the midfield. Gives us a nice defensive game mode, clog the middle slow the game down but kick long to the tall timbers.

The sub allows us that flexibility this year, sub a tall off/on if it’s not working or we need a change etc

Like others have pointed out 4 talls doesn’t mean they’re all gonna sit in the forward line together they’ll rotate through bench and ruck. It’ll limit our mid rotations but we have a super strong, endurance heavy bunch of mids - utilise it to allow the flexibility of extra talls.

I don't think we have enough quality pressure and crumbing players for this to work. Apart from JJ, Vandermeer is our next best in this role and I really do struggle to see him getting games for other AFL clubs in that role. Both of them are also injury prone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may not be best 22 but Oskar Baker seems like a great edition for the group personality wise.
The mic'd up Oskar video has quickly put him high up on my Most Annoying Player list. Glad he's playing for us and not against.

Jeez, it says a lot that Cleary was taken from the Possibles to replace Vandermeer in the Probables ahead of Crozier.
I like Crozier but it’s been awhile since he played good footy consistently I have been impressed with what Cleary has done early days so I expect it will be an uphill struggle for Crozier

What about sideburns and moustaches? I guess Bevo better smarten up first.

I mean, it's probably just that there wasn't really an 'A' side or a 'B' side...
We seem to have the most well balanced list as a whole, in a very long time. I cannot see that Bevo any longer has any excuse what so ever, for picking 'unbalanced ' lineups. We have sufficient depth in all 3 zones to be able to replace like for like, and not replace KP players with flankers, or rucks with undersized mids. I'd like to see us go in every week with a side selected to be balanced, rather than selecting on individual form over team needs.

Lets play what ifs

What if

Astro plays his best footy ever.
Tim plays better than last season.
Bont gets back to his 2021 form.
JUH has a break out season.
Liam Jones is the mature recruit of the season.
Sam wins the rising star.
Rory kicks 40 plus goals.
Libba is just Libba.

just saying

All possible and if it happens we could be holding the cup in September.

Bont gets back to his 2021 form
Libba is just Libba
Our new senior coach has much more input on game day.
Our defence game plan gets better

All possible and if it happens we could be holding the cup in September.[/QUOTE]

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets play what ifs

What if

Astro plays his best footy ever.
Bont gets back to his 2021 form.
JUH has a break out season.
Liam Jones is the mature recruit of the season.
Sam wins the rising star.
Rory kicks 40 plus goals.
Libba is just Libba.

just saying

All possible and if it happens we could be holding the cup in September.

Username checks out.

I like Crozier but it’s been awhile since he played good footy consistently I have been impressed with what Cleary has done early days so I expect it will be an uphill struggle for Crozier

Really showed last year when Duryea was out that we looked vulnerable a big difference - Duryea is like our Matty Boyd back there.

Crozier was also injured for chunks of the year but when he came back he was one of the best in the VFL but a long way off his previous levels and am pretty sure there were a few games when we needed someone just like and just didn’t play him. Feel for the guy who is clearly very popular in the playing group.

Has anyone seen him in the preseason and can comment?

Not sure of his contract status and I bet there is something we don’t know that he has been dealing with but we have a guy there who we have seen play at a very high level - brilliant mark and reader of the play - but sitting in no-man’s land.

When we play against players like Cameron and Kosie and TurdGreen and Papley and others we only have one matchup ATM and this is a problem:

• Cleary is coming along but quite there yet and a different type - more Murphy than Boyd.
  • Harvey G is brand new - has the guns but not the experience and not sure of skills and courage.
  • VDM has some of the traits but his marking is way off for defence.
  • Richards is absolutely able to take that role but has moved up into more a Rangr Easton Wood up the ground attacking HBF that is too valuable to touch.
  • Williams was a lock but has drifted and by the training vids has stripped weight to be more of a mid (my prediction of but the end of the year he has his mojo back but in a different role closer to the ball).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back