Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

But I’m sure there are many high caliber board members around the country you, your friends, work colleagues and family have never heard of before and still haven’t.

The world is a much bigger place than simply a football club in Australia.

Not sure being on the board at Collingwood is going to get you a meaningful gig elsewhere.

Do you know all the board members of other clubs? Or international sporting associations like Tennis Australia?

Maybe the only positive would be an executive board recruitment agency may consider a non paying role as a tick.

You are being silly if you think being publicly linked to biggest sporting club in Australia doesn't boost your profile.

Is Clarkson the answer though?

Why would he want to jump from a team that has been rebuilding for a few years to a team that has been rebuilding for six months?

Wouldn’t we be better off with a coach with minimal expectations on them? If he coaches Collingwood to the results he’s been coaching Hawthorn to lately, it could quickly degenerate into a Malthouse -> Carlton scenario.

I’m not convinced by Clarkson at all.

Clarkson would be a massive mistake right now. Look at Hawthorn. Clarkson and the recruiters laughably overrated their own list and topped up foolishly thinking they could just push for a flag.

It's the exact opposite of how you do a rebuild. Why on Earth would we risk that happening here?

Now, Clarkson in 4 years might be a different story once we've built the list back up - that's when you bring in a tactician But by then he will be old as f*ck and likely passed it.

Holgate didnt seem to realise that she was heading a quasi public sector body when she gave away watches.... much as someone might do in the private sector.

Holgate’s crime was that the government was trying to divert attention away from its screwup over the sale of land for Sydney’s second airport.

I guess she’ll know not to make that mistake again.

This time she didnt read the constitution or get someone to read the constitution for her. It took me 5 minutes to realise that the rules wouldnt allow the placement of a person who hasn't been a member for 2 years.

You and I will never know whether the board / Holgate were ...

(A) being above board (they were fully aware of her needing to wait until the AGM to be qualified one way or the other, but still considered her to be the most suitable candidate, and considered that the board could continue to function properly)

(B) being dodgy (they were fully aware of her lack of qualification, but went ahead anyway intending to give her a vote)

(C) being negligent (they didn’t do their homework and confirm her membership status)

... but in support of (A), Bridie would seem to tick more boxes that are helpful to our board than Neil Wilson (Bridie is Sports-person + Medical Doctor + women’s sport advocate) and yet the club appointed Neil first.

This seems to me to be another example of someone who enjoys the relative freedom of the corporate sector.

Freedom? Corporate executives are accountable to a board who are accountable to shareholders. And we live in an age when shareholders care more about corporate social responsibility more than ever before.

Regarding the actual selection process, I'd be interested to see just how many interviews Holgate did for the position.

7 apparently.

The rumours have it that she already knew of bridie, and while that wouldnt be unusual in corporate melbourne, ...

Holgate’s roots are in corporate Sydney.

I just have a feelling that the successful job applicant for the board position was known before the selection process.....

Bridie would have needed at least four members of the board to vote for her nomination. It wouldn’t have just been Holgate being a queenmaker.

Regarding your list, you seem to have attributed the decision to move to the MCG to eddie, when even eddie hasnt done that.

fair point, my bad.

You also seem to have missed out of other achievements such as the personal recruitment of dayne beans and the negotiation of the malthouse/buckley arrangement that blew up the club for several years. You also havent listed Eddie's involvement in promoting king kong, and his "work" with caroline wilson's backyard swimming pool.

... and the pubs fiasco?

I have a lot more respect for people who stick their neck out and try, but screw up occassionally (Noble) ...

... than people who play it safe, and hide from criticism by doing sweet FA (DeGoey)

Last edited:

You are being silly if you think being publicly linked to biggest sporting club in Australia doesn't boost your profile.
You may be right. I don’t know what she is like as a person so I can’t comment on her as an individual.

Just from my experience dealing/working with boards, that those who join a non-for- profit, tend to do so because they have been asked and want to ‘give back’ to the community, or they simply have an ego.

The good doctor may have an ego, or she wants to put her stamp on the club. Given her background, I personally think she will be more focused and sees an opportunity on being a voice for the women’s teams (both AFLW and netball). Afterall, they are a part of the Collingwood Football Club. And her credentials are right for that position.

Either way, I don’t agree or disagree with her appointment (obviously a ? On timing etc), but I don’t subscribe to the hysteria without knowing much about her.

You only have to look at Alex Waislitz's first line in his Wiki bio....

Alex Waislitz (born 1958) is an Australian businessman.

Waislitz was elected to the Collingwood Football Club Board of Directors in 1998, elected as vice-president in 2009, and has provided philanthropic support to the club.[2]

You may be right. I don’t know what she is like as a person so I can’t comment on her as an individual.

Just from my experience dealing/working with boards, that those who join a non-for- profit, tend to do so because they have been asked and want to ‘give back’ to the community, or they simply have an ego.

The good doctor may have an ego, or she wants to put her stamp on the club. Given her background, I personally think she will be more focused and sees an opportunity on being a voice for the women’s teams (both AFLW and netball). Afterall, they are a part of the Collingwood Football Club. And her credentials are right for that position.

Either way, I don’t agree or disagree with her appointment (obviously a ? On timing etc), but I don’t subscribe to the hysteria without knowing much about her.

Don't disagree with much that but I also don't think the club should be a dictatorship with zero member input.

Nor do I think the members should have a ruling say but at least some input.

Holgate didnt seem to realise that she was heading a quasi public sector body when she gave away watches.... much as someone might do in the private sector. This time she didnt read the constitution or get someone to read the constitution for her. It took me 5 minutes to realise that the rules wouldnt allow the placement of a person who hasn't been a member for 2 years. This seems to me to be another example of someone who enjoys the relative freedom of the corporate sector. Regarding the actual selection process, I'd be interested to see just how many interviews Holgate did for the position. The rumours have it that she already knew of bridie, and while that wouldnt be unusual in corporate melbourne, I just have a feelling that the successful job applicant for the board position was known before the selection process.....but if she actually did the due diligence, then that would indicate that she is willing to be involved for the betterment of the club, and not just for the photo opportunities --- a la waislitz.

Regarding your list, you seem to have attributed the decision to move to the MCG to eddie, when even eddie hasnt done that.
You also seem to have missed out of other achievements such as the personal recruitment of dayne beans and the negotiation of the malthouse/buckley arrangement that blew up the club for several years.

You also havent listed Eddie's involvement in promoting king kong, and his "work" with caroline wilson's backyard swimming pool.

You do realise that the total price of the watches was less than the amount of money she had been granted to give as bonuses, right?

You do realise that the total price of the watches was less than the amount of money she had been granted to give as bonuses, right?

It wasnt the cost that was the problem, it's the "eliteness" of the gesture and the fact that austpost workers were asked to do extra hours over christmas....i think some of it was unpaid... and the fact that austpost is a government enterprise. You can do these things in private industry where the shareholders are the supposed stakeholders but all australians own austpost.

And whether the gov't had some airport thing...and I think they really want to sell off austpost... it's her lack of political awareness.

The thing about the collingwood rules is really sloppy....at best and maybe arrogant. I keep getting told that these business people are better than us, that they deserve to run these clubs because they know more than plebs like myself. I'd like em to show it.

Clarkson would be a massive mistake right now. Look at Hawthorn. Clarkson and the recruiters laughably overrated their own list and topped up foolishly thinking they could just push for a flag.

It's the exact opposite of how you do a rebuild. Why on Earth would we risk that happening here?

Now, Clarkson in 4 years might be a different story once we've built the list back up - that's when you bring in a tactician But by then he will be old as f*ck and likely passed it.
So you think a guy of 50 is past it? It may be the current trend to appoint young men as coaches, but why would Clarkson be past it in a few years' time?

So you think a guy of 50 is past it? It may be the current trend to appoint young men as coaches, but why would Clarkson be past it in a few years' time?

He'll be closer to 60 in 4 years time (57), which is what I said. He's probably got a few more years left in the tank now, but the clock is ticking.

Mick Malthouse won a flag with us when he was 56, but you saw what happened when he went to Carlton. I don't think there's ever been a premiership coach in their 60s.

Anyway, I'm saying don't pick him now because he's not the right man for the position we are in, forgot the 4 year age point.

How could people possibly be excited about bringing in a guy who we've literally just seen completely botch a rebuild? Hawthorn should be in the 4th year of one, instead they're even older and sh*tter than us.

Too bad the Club didn't audit our new Board member.

You assume they didn't know she was short on the 24 month member requirement. Extremely unlikely.

Guess the Major Sponsers people are mates with Eddie

Brand marketability has nothing to do with ED, everything to do with getting the best possible return on investment.

White anting idiot? I know him, he is a ripper bloke and lives for the Pies. He hates doing it but he like many has had enough, the difference is he has the balls to put his neck on the line whilst you just chip away on an internet forum. What a hero you are.

Only an idiot would run a process like this with zero idea what it might lead to, or even if it'll change or improve anything, let alone address his specific gripes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the beauties of an election is each person has one vote. His position, his pay packet count for sh*t, he is probably more interested in the clubs social programs than winning games of footy, probably does not even follow us, just a chance for him to network in his corporate box.

Sponsors don't give a rats about votes. They don't like what's happening, they can just pull their sponsorship. How does that help the club?

It's not the place of sponsors to chime in and dictate what the members should do.

Where has he dictated anything to members?

The head of one of Collingwood’s major sponsors has called for people agitating to bring about board changes at the Magpies via an extraordinary general meeting to put the interests of the club and its players ahead of personal agendas.

Sometimes you just have to take a risk and see what happens. We cannot go on like this. I was actually pro giving Korda some time but that board appointment lost me completely. They did not even know the club constitution, chose someone who does not even support us and it was well known members were sick of being exluded from the process by the use of casual vacancy but Korda not only went ahead, he then ballsed it up.

Out of chaos comes opportunity.

Understand completed. The constant change of the last 12 months has been wearing. With 2 new board members, new president, new GM of footy, changes to the list management team. Then there's initiating a report into historical race issues within the club and the establishment of processes to redress them. When will it ever end?

Playing devils advocate, can we afford to wait 3-6 months when the decision about the coach has to be made and preparations for 2022 have to be well underway?

Will a new board seek to do anything different in terms of a coaching appointment than the current?

He'll be closer to 60 in 4 years time (57), which is what I said. He's probably got a few more years left in the tank now, but the clock is ticking.

Mick Malthouse won a flag with us when he was 56, but you saw what happened when he went to Carlton. I don't think there's ever been a premiership coach in their 60s.

Anyway, I'm saying don't pick him now because he's not the right man for the position we are in, forgot the 4 year age point.

How could people possibly be excited about bringing in a guy who we've literally just seen completely botch a rebuild? Hawthorn should be in the 4th year of one, instead they're even older and sh*tter than us.

Anyone but Buckley is a win for the club. If Clarkson came over and was a bust I’m not going to be hand wringing over it because at least we did something!

Having a big name / ego ticket come in over the top isn't that great either, as you'll basically shift the same insular power structure from one person to the next, which then results in the same lame duck board appointments that do nothing to evolve the club, but rather maintain the status quo to those in power.

McGuire's legacy is this oligarchical set up and it's toxic and dangerous. It's resulted in Captains Calls that have netted us a coach who has gone backwards on the previous year's ladder position for 9 out of 10 seasons. It resulted in Captains Calls like bumping out Balme for Gubby Allen. Captains Calls like getting Beams back in despite opposition from the footy department. Severe salary cap mismanagement resulting in a fire sale with literally nobody being held to account. And now the installation of two board members who won't rock the boat, including one who is ineligible and not even a Pies supporter. And now there's talk of re-signing Buckley longer and just getting him better assistants......I mean, FMD!

Another issue to deal with are the proxies generated by sponsors and controlled by the incumbent hierarchy. This is idiotic.

The McGuire system is a loaded one in favour of one person plus a couple of chief cohorts. Having a sit down to structure it better is a great thing. Good people will step up when it's time.

But isn't there always a transition when someone who is as large a personality as Ed departs an organisation? Just because a couple of advocates for change weren't appointed doesn't necessarily mean that the status quo of the previous regime will continue. Korda has already said he won't be interfering in FD matters, he'll leave Wright and Anderson to fulfill their roles and ratify what they recommend. That's change 1.

So Korda is now telling us the premiership window closed last year, yet he was saying 3 weeks ago that we are still in the finals race....🤪
Sounds like a spin master, and just saying things to appease the Collingwood faithful, which inevitably sets you up for failure.
There needs to be change at the Pies, and not at seasons end. Just like a band aid, rip it off quick, and avoid the pain.

Sending a message to Pies fans through the Herald Sun (behind a paywall) instead of a letter or email to members or some other press release is pretty weak.

The actual content of the 'letter'... not impressive stuff at all. Very condescending

Agree - it was a very disappointing letter. I see no passion, in either his written or spoken word.
He has the dour demeanor of an Accountant not an inspirational leader, and the former is not what fans are looking for at present IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back