Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

When I watched Footy Classified last night, I'm pretty sure Caro quoted the Herald-Sun story. She did not have any knowledge other than that. Ed's questions to Caro suggested he had no knowledge, but was clearly disappointed by the news that an EGM would be the result. Eddie has always said this; he thinks a spill would be a disaster. It's your right to express any opinion you wish in here, but if you suggest that perhaps the most decorated footy journalist ever and our ex-president are working for the Browne camp, then you deserve to be challenged.

I wondered why this story didn't appear elsewhere yesterday. Why didn't The Age have knowledge? SEN? AFL.com? Now we know why.
Presumably, a story was leaked to the Herald Sun by somebody with an agenda. It was probably somebody on the board. How much more embarrassment can this group bring upon itself? Murphy must be filthy at these shenanigans. What a bloody shambles.
Another guess…just what we need.

In the last 24 hours, somebody leaked a story to the Herald Sun suggesting Murphy was on the verge of taking the presidency.
Today, Murphy vehemently denies the story in The Age. He is obviously a little bit cross.
Bridie O'Donnell is pushed out the door after displaying poor judgement yet again.

Who would have leaked the Murphy story to the Herald Sun? It must have been somebody trusted by the HS journalist. I know who my money is on. Could it be the same person who leaked the Do Better Report? As far as I know, no investigation has been done into this.
It's almost as if it didn't happen. I bet Eddie knows.

And now it's even more of a shambles. Bridie has obviously been pushed. She had to go. She is obviously a very smart person, but she demonstrated very poor judgement on more than one occassion. We now look a total shambles. If this board had any chance of surviving, it has now gone up in smoke.

Why would she have been pushed?

Our board would toss out a highly credentialed person they’d appointed only five months earlier over an Insta pic of her cheering for another team in a finals series not featuring Collingwood?

Really?

Hmm....

It is with regret that the Collingwood board has accepted the resignation of ex officio director, Dr Bridie O’Donnell.

For professional reasons, that are explained below and underline the outstanding qualities and expertise that saw Bridie appointed to the board, she has had to resign with immediate effect.

We understand the opportunity and duty before Bridie, and yet her departure is Collingwood’s loss.

On behalf of the board I thank Bridie for her contribution to our club and wish her every success. Her thank you note to Collingwood members follows.

- Mark Korda

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
Dear Magpie Army,

Last week I was appointed an Area of Operation Controller in the COVID-19 Outbreak Response Team in the Department of Health.

I’ve only been in the job for five days, but it’s clear that it will require 100% of my attention, energy and focus over the next four months as we aim to suppress the community spread of COVID-19 in Victoria.

My commitment to my community and my skills as a senior government executive and medical practitioner are paramount in providing assistance to my colleagues in the Department of Health to support Victorians’ health outcomes in these difficult circumstances.

When I had the privilege of accepting a position on the Board of Collingwood Football Club four months ago, I had no comprehension that I would be taking on a task of this magnitude in September.

I considered over the last few days that I might request a period of leave from the Board, but I’m aware that there are so many important pieces of work underway which require the group's full commitment.

Consequently, I will step down from my role as ex officio board Director, effective immediately.

I will continue to remain a fan and member of the Club I admire and love, and will of course follow the progress of the football and netball teams in the 2022 season and beyond.

It’s been an absolute pleasure to use my knowledge and skills to contribute to the work being done at the Collingwood Football Club.

I wish you all the best,

Go Pies!
Bridie

Our board would toss out a highly credentialed person they’d appointed only five months earlier over an Insta pic of her cheering for another team in a finals series not featuring Collingwood?

Really?
I'm surprised you think she just resigned out of the blue the day after she was exposed on national TV displaying very poor judgement.....again.
Really?

In the last 24 hours, somebody leaked a story to the Herald Sun suggesting Murphy was on the verge of taking the presidency.
Today, Murphy vehemently denies the story in The Age. He is obviously a little bit cross.
Bridie O'Donnell is pushed out the door after displaying poor judgement yet again.

Who would have leaked the Murphy story to the Herald Sun? It must have been somebody trusted by the HS journalist. I know who my money is on. Could it be the same person who leaked the Do Better Report? As far as I know, no investigation has been done into this.
It's almost as if it didn't happen. I bet Eddie knows.
Have you not thought about the possibility that Galbally has thought up that scenario in his own head in order to get Browne on side about spilling all positions?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really?
Because the resignation ‘due to new employment’ doesn’t fit their narrative…of course she had to be pushed.
The board is a shambles apparently.

When I watched Footy Classified last night, I'm pretty sure Caro quoted the Herald-Sun story. She did not have any knowledge other than that. Ed's questions to Caro suggested he had no knowledge, but was clearly disappointed by the news that an EGM would be the result. Eddie has always said this; he thinks a spill would be a disaster. It's your right to express any opinion you wish in here, but if you suggest that perhaps the most decorated footy journalist ever and our ex-president are working for the Browne camp, then you deserve to be challenged.

I wondered why this story didn't appear elsewhere yesterday. Why didn't The Age have knowledge? SEN? AFL.com? Now we know why.
Presumably, a story was leaked to the Herald Sun by somebody with an agenda. It was probably somebody on the board. How much more embarrassment can this group bring upon itself? Murphy must be filthy at these shenanigans. What a bloody shambles.
I think you'll find that Murphy has named that person and nope they're not a board member and I think there's a difference between leaking a fact and feeding a story to run an agenda.
There's only one player in this who wants an EGM.
It isn't Browne and it isn't anyone on the board.
He has a family name that has been associated with Collingwood for my entire lifetime. Carlton aren't the only club with members who have a born to rule mentality.
If you haven't read the article let me point you to the statement by Peter MUrphy
" The club is managing and running very well but for some reason Francis Galbally particularly wants to destabilise Collingwood. I don’t know why."

Hmm....

It is with regret that the Collingwood board has accepted the resignation of ex officio director, Dr Bridie O’Donnell.

For professional reasons, that are explained below and underline the outstanding qualities and expertise that saw Bridie appointed to the board, she has had to resign with immediate effect.

We understand the opportunity and duty before Bridie, and yet her departure is Collingwood’s loss.

On behalf of the board I thank Bridie for her contribution to our club and wish her every success. Her thank you note to Collingwood members follows.

- Mark Korda

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
Dear Magpie Army,

Last week I was appointed an Area of Operation Controller in the COVID-19 Outbreak Response Team in the Department of Health.

I’ve only been in the job for five days, but it’s clear that it will require 100% of my attention, energy and focus over the next four months as we aim to suppress the community spread of COVID-19 in Victoria.

My commitment to my community and my skills as a senior government executive and medical practitioner are paramount in providing assistance to my colleagues in the Department of Health to support Victorians’ health outcomes in these difficult circumstances.

When I had the privilege of accepting a position on the Board of Collingwood Football Club four months ago, I had no comprehension that I would be taking on a task of this magnitude in September.

I considered over the last few days that I might request a period of leave from the Board, but I’m aware that there are so many important pieces of work underway which require the group's full commitment.

Consequently, I will step down from my role as ex officio board Director, effective immediately.

I will continue to remain a fan and member of the Club I admire and love, and will of course follow the progress of the football and netball teams in the 2022 season and beyond.

It’s been an absolute pleasure to use my knowledge and skills to contribute to the work being done at the Collingwood Football Club.

I wish you all the best,

Go Pies!
Bridie
Collingwood's Media Centre obviously in damage control. Go Pies indeed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christine Holgate is running Toll, and was in charge of Aus Post while on the board. It's a convenient excuse.

Sure, it is a convenient excuse.

At best it’s accurate. I’m sure none of us could begin to imagine the work involved in a the response to a global pandemic.

At worst it’s showing more class and courtesy than many of us, the supporter base, have shown along her journey.

The key question now is whether Ed can convince the voting members that they're not needed. I think the current board can be removed and replaced without an election but are the voting members going to live with it.

Shambolic - this is what happens when you select people who quite clearly have zero passion for the club - as we knew early on

I reckon this has more with her taking a new role to do with COVID as opposed to anything else. It's a win for PR in general, however it doesn't do the club any good because she had genuine value to bring (outside of the men's AFL program).

Sure, it is a convenient excuse.

At best it’s accurate. I’m sure none of us could begin to imagine the work involved in a the response to a global pandemic.

At worst it’s showing more class and courtesy than many of us, the supporter base, have shown along her journey.
She is probably also very relieved to exit the Collingwood Media Spotlight…who wants to step up? I know I wouldn’t.
Media vultures, supporter vultures…what a sad place…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back