Preview Preview and Discussion Round 3 Richmond v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rioli Out and ..... In

Whitecross for me...

Whitecross: He has had reasonable form during the pre season didn't really get a go in Adelaide before being dropped can play forward and kick goals. I don't think he is overly slow and can provide run and carry.

Smith: the temptation is huge here but didn't we say that players have to earn their spot. Well IMO not there yet.

Popuolo: Could come in if there was a backline deficiency injury or suspension. Has played well at box hill last week wasn't as good as the week before. He did go missing for periods in the game started like a house on fire. Again it all about team balance. I like the boys intent and will definitely get a gig some time soon.

Ellis: Would have chosen him had he put in a better performance at Box Hill because he is a direct swap for Rioli but needs to do more at Box Hill

So i would choose whitex based on structure.

Wow - that is a big call!:eek:

Bring in Guerra. Put him down back, let Laddo have a turn as the sub. I think we should use the sub to manage older players during year like Laddo, Bateman and Ossie.

This should free up Sucko to play wing/hff. Laddo is flexible enough to play bp, hbf, wing or hff with the occasional stint on the ball so he can cover whoever is subbed off.

Think we need Puopolo. King, Edwards, Nahas, White and Martin when resting forward can be bloody dangerous. A few times its been mentioned on here that Richmond are slow plodders. They are bloody quick.

Pup has played in big SANFL finals against quality opposition. Have seen him play on Welsh, Callinan, Schell, Meyer, Hitchcock etc and dominate. He is a standout.

If it is going to rain as is sgguested with showers... then X is the man for the tighter in and under... move it forward type of grunt which belies his size.... Goo I do not think is quick enough for any of the aforementioned players.

Issac needs to be eased in. Be careful with this lad. Only this time last year he was running around for the Redan 2nds.... dont break him like we have Schoey.... Schoey was tossed in as we had no-one else... and did not get developed correctly. He had to learn on the job under a massive spotlight. Issac needs time.

Also mentioned a few times is Jack R's size. He's a big dude..... Gibbo is going to need a hand.

Finally.... I hate the bashing of Whiteys skills. The kid came on in front of 46,000 when we'd lost control of the game and was expected on a cold dewy night to pick up the pace of a game that was absolutely full tilt. Give the kid a break. He's very very good by foot. I saw Burgs carve up his first few kicks at the start of the game..... but he got the time to settle. Whitey didnt get a chance to.

You need to post more often.

Wow - that is a big call!:eek:
hahaha mate i was referring to position wise look at my post. Its like saying Lisle would be a direct swap for Roughy or Paul Abbot comes in for Brereton. Doesn't cover the player but attempts to fill the position that player plays.

Who comes in for Cyril??

I would go with Puopolo quick defender to take on Nahas, possibly a few manic bursts in the midfield.

Kyle C another option to look after a Richmond mid size like Morton.

I think our midfield is capable of taking care of Richmond without Rioli, just needs some hard running from Bateman, Young etc etc.

Richmond roll over and die if you get that 30 point buffer, big IF i know but Richmond in past years have always lost the plot when they realise they are going to lose.

(Might be different this year)

Definitely was true in the past, but not under Hardwick. Last year, down by 31 against the Swans in the 3rd and came back to win. Down by 59 in the 3rd quarter against Port and got it to within 3 points in round 22, ended up losing by 12. Also were down against Freo and Adelaide by about 20 after half time but ended up winning.

Then this year, both games we have been down by 20+, and ended up being in a winning position but couldn't close it out.

However, without a backline I can't see us winning this one. If we can replicate last week's form it should at least be a good contest though :thumbsu:

:mad:No one can replace Rioli.

xavier Ellis will come in for the magician.

Lewis will start for the magician and X factor will hit the pine.

Would love to see Goo as he is the perfect guy to play the sweeper imo out the back end of our high zone.

Also think MAx Bailey is a massive chance to come in for renouf who has struggled badly in the first two rounds.

On form I would give Pup a crack. On name I would pick Goo.

I was surprised we gave Rough a run in the ruck. I thought last year Roughie said it knocked him around too much.

I'd be surprised if Smith gets a run this year. He is pretty raw.

Richmond hold few fears. Their midfield is as slow as ours and they only have one offensive threat who is a mid sizer.

A Mid Sizer???? 195 is not midsize...

IN- Whitecross
OUT- Rioli

Unlucky to be dropped in the first place, Poupolo would be my second choice.

Agreed, although I think Cheney will get a look in sooner or later, plus Guerra and Ellis, of course.

Can't replace Rioli.
For team balance do we roll the dice and take Lisle instead of Nouf?
And Lewis into the team and super-sub is.................................Pup? Ellis? Goo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's going to be wet, maybe Cheney is the way to go.

His lack of pace could hurt us though, which could open the door for Puopolo.

If Puopolo/Cheney come in, Bruce or Laddo would have to push up the ground.

Whitecross or Ellis are the obvious replacements for Rioli, but as Roswell said, we may need an extra medium/small defender against Richmond.

Then again, both Whitey and Ellis can play in defence.

I think Smith should come in as our sub, we need to blood a few of our youngsters this season, get a few early games into the Smith, Pup, Lisle, Hallahan, litherland. (not all at once obviously)

Just want us to win the next 2 games so we can be clear ahead in the Win-Loss ledger for the first time in a while. Can't wait till we go 3 and 1.

That McGuane and the Rance are not playing, so the Tigers possibly short in defence.

You guys should account for us quite easily. I would think the only thing that might trouble you is our speed.

Buddy, Roughy and Hale though will be up against our B grade KPD options.

You guys should account for us quite easily. I would think the only thing that might trouble you is our speed.

Buddy, Roughy and Hale though will be up against our B grade KPD options.

This should be the real area of advantage for us - provided they can kick straight!

Won't happen. Stratton rarely gets the number 1 key forward.

On another note, I think (hope) Buddy may be in for a BIG game.

You would think that examining the relative manpower of the two sides, with Rich missing most of their first choice defenders, that we would look to exploit this as much as we could.

Although, I'm more expecting us to try and refine the style we've used over the last couple of weeks. Buddy has had 15 shots at goal so far hasn't he? Would love to see his accuracy lift this week. Buddy usually runs at about 50-60% accuracy. This year he's on about 25%. I think we can expect a bag or two in the next few weeks.

Finally.... I hate the bashing of Whiteys skills. The kid came on in front of 46,000 when we'd lost control of the game and was expected on a cold dewy night to pick up the pace of a game that was absolutely full tilt. Give the kid a break. He's very very good by foot. I saw Burgs carve up his first few kicks at the start of the game..... but he got the time to settle. Whitey didnt get a chance to.
This was inadvertently directed at me and i'm not just referring to rd1. He's always been a bad kick and continually misses the simplest of targets by foot and in a few cases last yr cost us multiple goals in a game by missing open players.

And calling him very very good by foot does disservice to players like suckling, hodge, et al. who are very very good by foot. WX is very poor by foot and if you watch his kicking you'll see that. Calling him good doesn't make him good.

This was inadvertently directed at me and i'm not just referring to rd1. He's always been a bad kick and continually misses the simplest of targets by foot and in a few cases last yr cost us multiple goals in a game by missing open players.

And calling him very very good by foot does disservice to players like suckling, hodge, et al. who are very very good by foot. WX is very poor by foot and if you watch his kicking you'll see that. Calling him good doesn't make him good.

What about the year before that where he played a few games at the start of the season. If you were going to call him a bad kick what is a bad kick efficiency wise according to you? <70% <60%.

I have seen most of the games that he has played since crossing over to Hawthorn whether they be at box hill or HFC and i can say with great confidence that the kid is a good kick. Picking out games where he may or may not have cost us games?

The kicks that lose games are the most memorable i agree for instance Suckling had two go out of bounds in the first game against adelaide at a criticial time in the game. That does not make him a bad kick just makes him inexperienced and lacking composure at those particular instances. Give the kid a chance to show what he's got and judge him when he has had a fair run.

P.S. Some of the best kicks in the game ala hodge have cost their teams games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back