Preview Preview and Discussion Round 3 Richmond v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys should account for us quite easily. I would think the only thing that might trouble you is our speed.

Buddy, Roughy and Hale though will be up against our B grade KPD options.

Considering what was before them were originally B graders, we are effectively up against C grade options.

Undoubtedly they will find a way to surpass and embarass us like most B/C graders.

With cyril out for one week, which was by the way pathetic, we need to obviously replace his speed. so Smith comes straight in, to replace him. That will be the only change unless someone gets hurt or Twister (Renouf) doesn't play, which would mean that the big max gets a game.
With Richmond having their 3 best defenders out, who will stop our forwards, in particular Buddy. Richmonds forwards, good, only because of a freak i know named Riewoldt. and lastly their mid field has some very good young players, i.e Deledio, Martin, Cotchin but we will be too big for them.
ITS GONNA BE TIGER HUNTING SEASON
GO HAWKS!!!

FB: Gilham Stratton Bruce

HB: Birchall Gibson Hodge

C: Bateman Mitchell Young

HF: Lewis Franklin Whitecross

FF: Burgoyne Roughead Savage

R: Hale Sewell Shiels

In: Renouf, Ladson, Suckling

Sub: Osborne

FB: Gilham Stratton Bruce

HB: Birchall Gibson Hodge

C: Bateman Mitchell Young

HF: Lewis Franklin Whitecross

FF: Burgoyne Roughead Savage

R: Hale Sewell Shiels

In: Renouf, Ladson, Suckling

Sub: Osborne

Can't see it ending up that way h=g.

Savage's pace and long kicking make him far more useful on a wing or flank. I don't think he has the body, marking ability or freaky goal sense for a pocket yet, either.

I also like Ossie in the full team, but you may be right he'll get subbed at some stage. I'd expect not this week, with Rioli out though.

Really?? Doubt it..... doubt I even read your post.... but now reading your view. I think you are wrong. Very wrong. Seen him at close qtrs and he uses the ball mostly... very very well.

And Ive seen Hodgey butcher many a ball... lets be fair.....

IMO WX is a good kick of the football, especially given time and space. At this stage of his career his decision making needs further work, especially in high pressure situations (which is not unusual for a young player adjusting to the pace of AFL footy) which is why you may see him make some silly errors at time.

Our games have always been close for the last 5 or 6 years apart from about 2 games(1 of them right at the end of a bad year where we didn't give a crap and lost by 7 goals). Am interested to see the last 10 or 12 games between us. We've lost most of them but 8 out of 10 have been thrillers pretty much. We match up very well on the Hawks. Unlike Melbourne who don't match up well on the Hawks at all. Round 1 last year you should have beaten them by 100 points just like you should have done last week. Anyway I think Thursfield will do a decent job, he's the same height as Mcguane and a good stopper. We'll either bring in Gourdis or Grimes as a third loose tall to do a bit of double teaming to help out Thursfield and Astbury. Both are 193cm. Think our defence can hold up for 2 weeks while Mcguane and Rance are missing :cool:

Re: Rioli Out and ..... In

Doesn't anyone think Rioli is a chance of being rubbed out, I reckon he will cop a week.

In- Ellis

Out - Cyril

:thumbsu:

think stratton should get first crack on rewoldt with gibbo as 2nd in

Reverse that notion. Gibbo to provide the body on body and Stratts to read the flight. This way we can maintain the structure from last week.

Why do you say that?

Ellis deserves a crack because they are going to have test his hip out sooner or later. I would go with sooner because they can start to factor him into forward planning if the hip isn't a problem. If it is (like it was for Youngy last year) then you can move full steam ahead with a Whitecross, Popoulo or even Milne.

I think a lot of people under estimate Xavier's composure with the ball in heavy traffic and that is one of the key attributes the selection team look for in our team, good decision makers in traffic. If he is fit, he will be there when teams like the Pies come around, that I am sure of.;)

Barring injury I dont think we will see Lowden this year.
As for Bails I do not want to see him until he is 100% ready.

Renouf will have to do for now I'm afraid

I agree that we probably won't see Lowden this year however if there was any game where we would see him i'd say this would be it. Richmond only have Graham and Vickery and i think Lowden could do a solid job as a second ruckmen against Vickery and then perhaps get subbed off similar to what renouf did last game. Would also remind renouf that he is no certain starter and could give him motivation to play better (similar to when clarko dropping lewis and sewell) In saying that though Renouf should play himself back into form this week and should really be dominating vickery.

Agree with Bailey, watched him on the weekend at BH and still has a lot of work to do. People say we wont see him until after round 5, i'd like to say mid-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this match but will be in Sydney and not sure where I'll be able go to watch it. It's on Foxtel/Austar on ch 518 and I know probably hard pressed in Sydney to find AFL... anyone help me out as to where will be showing it? i'll be down near darling harbour

Looking forward to this match but will be in Sydney and not sure where I'll be able go to watch it. It's on Foxtel/Austar on ch 518 and I know probably hard pressed in Sydney to find AFL... anyone help me out as to where will be showing it? i'll be down near darling harbour

Don't like your chances mate. If it is on 518 the only way you will see it is if you ask a venue with fox sports to put it on for you. With the League on at the same time you will be lucky.

You can watch it a my place if you want to drive about 3 hours from Sydney lol. I am flying down to watch it at the G.

The light brigade hotel in paddington- cnr Oxford st and jersey rd. Afl pub- will be playing it live from 7pm... But may not have sound.
:thumbsu:

Agree - his speed and hardness will be handy too

:thumbsu: in pup,bailey/lowden ellis
out rioli, renouf, ozzie

would it be a good idea if bails or lowden play ruck with hale for 2/2.5 qtrs then sub the ruck and let hale share it with roughy for the rest of the game? IMO bails and lowden would influence the centre clearances alot better then renouf in half a game.I think it would be a good chance for these 2 kids to play against a team that probably is ranked bottom 3 in terms of ruck division.

:thumbsu: in pup,bailey/lowden ellis
out rioli, renouf, ozzie

would it be a good idea if bails or lowden play ruck with hale for 2/2.5 qtrs then sub the ruck and let hale share it with roughy for the rest of the game? IMO bails and lowden would influence the centre clearances alot better then renouf in half a game.I think it would be a good chance for these 2 kids to play against a team that probably is ranked bottom 3 in terms of ruck division.

After seeing Lowden up close in the flesh, he needs to put on another 5 - 10 kg before he plays in the big league. He just does'nt appear physically ready. Kind of a Xavier Ellis build but a hell of a lot taller.

Depends on Max's knee but from all reports he aint near it yet either.
I think we will stick Renouf and play him into form. His average performances thus far have not been from lack of trying.

Want to see Lowden.

Centre bounces shouldn't be problem; just run at the ball. Around the ground throw-ups would potentially cause a headache, but don't really care - an opportunity like this for Lowden could fast-track his development - players generally rise to responsibility.

How about rucking hale with roughie as the back up and bring in Lisle to play the extra tall forward, he has good hands and a football brain and is a much better bet than twister, look how we went when hale and roughie did the ruck in the second half against Melbourne, plus the extra tall forward will stretch the richmond defense.

No Luke Lowden, far too raw for AFL and there is way to much risk involved using the substitute rule as a 'stategy'.

If we lose somone to injury early Lowden plays all game. If he struggles we are effectively down to 2 on the bench as he is Ruck or Bench. The latter a more appropriate position for him.

We must win, and win well this weekend. playing 4 quarters is crucial. last this we need is Richmond exploiting a weak link.

If no Renouf, What about Shoey to pinchhit in the ruck? he can atleast rotate down back? Hale 50%/Rough25%/Shoey25% all spending time in there works for me.

Also Paul Johnson hows he travelling at Box Hill? J J Liston medalist from 2005, never really made an impact at Melbourne. is he any danger of providing something to our structure this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back