QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the Grange vs Magpies game on Saturday, gee the Magpies have some very limited players. Grange got by on talent alone, while the Magpie coach is sowing a silk purse from a sows ear getting them up and about with some of the layers they have running around. Skill level really hurt them at crucial times, especially under pressure late. Didn't get into their defensive 50 much, but when it did they looked like giving up a goal every time.

#12 the shining light back there - can take a grab.

Magpies had that game for the taking. However, as you point out, it seemed every time it looked like they were going to run over the top of Grange, they'd gift a goal away through poor skills or bad decision making down back. That just killed any momentum they had. At least 3 or 4 times they went the switch in front of goal without much pressure at all only to kick the ball down the throat of a Grange player standing on his own 25m out. If they get that type of nonsense out of their game plan they should win more than they lose.
On another note, some of the umpiring in that game was mystifying. A couple of calls went both ways where a good spoil in a contest was called "deliberate" when it bounced over the line, much to the bemusement of players and spectators alike.

Last edited:
Saw that he played in #8 - His old mans number from the 70s. Maybe he was trying to prove some kind of point to his father or his old club.

There was always a bit of sentiment as to his reasons for being involved with the Gorillas this year - nothing wrong with that. And he isnt the sole coach - just helping really.

from what I hear he put in a performance that would earn most blokes a callup to the seniors!

Not sure if another playing coach at Grange would be what the club wants after having one for the past few years without success.

I'm not sure what Nathan's playing intentions are, and I doubt that he'll be looking to play seniors unless there's a heap of injuries, but everything I've seen and heard suggests that he's made a big impact/difference to the Gorillas in terms of training and professionalism.

Anyway, there's a lot to be said for the argument that the most important work is done during the week, not on game day.

Lets wait and see what they are saying about him in September, not May.

I heard the same glowing comments from Chelmer last year mid year, not sure you would hear anything out of there like that now.

Lets wait and see what they are saying about him in September, not May.

I heard the same glowing comments from Chelmer last year mid year, not sure you would hear anything out of there like that now.

Maybe says more about the footy club than Nathan Doddsy?? The club was a rabble on field when he took them over - to even make a prelim was a fantastic effort. A few guys think they were hard done by??? Suck it up.

I'm unsure what the gripe is, I've just heard there is one.

Not sure its fair to say they were a rabble, old Humphrey B Bear gets a bum wrap - but he took them from Piney Cup to 6th to 3rd in his 2 seasons before getting either pushed out, or choosing to leave. They then finished 3rd again, which is pretty much the same result as the previous year with the previous coach. (but the same list + Brent Staker)

One could argue the bloke before Clarke did a better job (I'm not that one, but someone could frame that argument)

Sitting 8th after 5 games... Maybe not a rabble but certainly underachieving. Obviously magpies people will have their thoughts but to my mind finishing 3rd to both Labrador and PBC wasnt a disgraceful effort.

Agreed.

But they were a better side than PBC from what I saw, then some very very bizarre selections in that Prelim final basically put an end to any hope of a win. I was at the game, and before it even started there were enormous rumblings everywhere. The way they played probably reflected the groups mindset - as they were putrid that day.

Not true Doddsy.

Nobody at the Magpies has an issue with Clarkey. Top guy, who stepped in at short notice and did a good job with a disgruntled playing group. There was never an intention fir him to go beyond 2016 and the only reason it worked fir that season is because he was at the academy that was located at the Magpies (but we knew wouldn't be in 2017)

Every coach in history upsets the blokes he doesn't pick - so that's not news.

In hindsight, we pulled the wrong reigns in the prelim - but thats footy. If the balance of the side played poorly because of selection - thats an enormous copout.

I'll always wonder why we dropped a bloke who had kicked 115 goals over the previous 2 seasons and the best onballer in the side who had come from country victoria and was tailor made for wet conditions...but Clarkey has forgotten more about footy than i even know - so I'm sure there was some science to it!

Certainly didnt make a 12 goal difference.

We thought we were the best shot at knocking off Labrador and were guilty of lookinf a week ahead. Beaten the Tigers at their ground then lost by 2 points at home, and if not for bad conversion - had the better of them in the qualifying final. Has destroyed PBC on their home deck, then beaten them down there again in the first final - probably got ahead of ourselves and they belted us fair and square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W
Not true Doddsy.

Nobody at the Magpies has an issue with Clarkey. Top guy, who stepped in at short notice and did a good job with a disgruntled playing group. There was never an intention fir him to go beyond 2016 and the only reason it worked fir that season is because he was at the academy that was located at the Magpies (but we knew wouldn't be in 2017)

In hindsight, we pulled the wrong reigns in the prelim - but thats footy. If the balance of the side played poorly because of selection - thats an enormous copout.

I'll always wonder why we dropped a bloke who had kicked 115 goals over the previous 2 seasons and the best onballer in the side who had come from country victoria and was tailor made for wet conditions...but Clarkey has forgotten more about footy than i even know - so I'm sure there was some science to it!

We thought we were the best shot at knocking off Labrador and were guilty of lookinf a week ahead. Beaten the Tigers at their ground then lost by 2 points at home, and if not for bad conversion - had the better of them in the qualifying final. Has destroyed PBC on their home deck, then beaten them down there again in the first final - probably got ahead of ourselves and they belted us fair and square.
Well said thommo.

I'm new to this page and have a few questions.
Why is there no tipping comp?
Any opinions on the state team selections?]

Not true Doddsy.

Oh wow you guys sound really hard done buy, your premiership for the taking. Must must be hard to move on.

Broady are slowly but surely improving with each game . On Saturday , they really did not look like loosing but just couldnt convert ... so many entries into the forward line with no result ,, they have a lot of work to do in this area ..

I'll call it now. AFLQ will cancel all games tomorrow. Queenslanders aren't allowed to play in the rain. Really hoping they don't - maybe some reverse psychology will work!

I'll call it now. AFLQ will cancel all games tomorrow. Queenslanders aren't allowed to play in the rain. Really hoping they don't - maybe some reverse psychology will work!

Shouldn't happen it's wet but not that bad. Forecast says rain clearing tomorrow

Some good games this weekend clear favourites in each game but an upset or 2 wouldn't surprise

Shouldn't happen it's wet but not that bad. Forecast says rain clearing tomorrow

Some good games this weekend clear favourites in each game but an upset or 2 wouldn't surprise
Who are the clear favourites in each game? I thought it looked like an even round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back