Status
Not open for further replies.

MRryan

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have to note, the Lions signing Brendan Fevola is a publicity dream made in heaven for AFL in Queensland.

Yes, Fev is a major ******** and his behaviour at the Brownlow was bad news, but in the long term Fev leaving Carlton for Queensland is simply the best outcome you could have imagined.

Even the Fevola story today about the Lions first day of training is the 3rd most popular story on the Courier Mail web site, Queenslands most read web and visited web site.

AFL mania is well and trully alive in Brisbane and Queensland!
You could almost now say Queensland is an AFL State.:thumbsu:

Not too sure if I will go that far just yet

To read the full story on the Herald sun website you had to click on a link for the courier mail, so it may just be people from the existing football states reading it

Not too sure if I will go that far just yet

To read the full story on the Herald sun website you had to click on a link for the courier mail, so it may just be people from the existing football states reading it

Well even so there are plenty of other stats to back up the claim Queensland is now or almost is a State of Australia that is now in the league of so called "AFL State(s)"
The huge media coverage given to the Fev story when it broke last month, the surge in juniors in SE Queensland over the past few years, the large crowds the Lions pull, the free-to-air coverage of games in Queensland, the growth in registered Queenslanders in the AFL, the growth of the semi-pro Aussie Rules leagues in the State.
I would like to hear from some locals what they think, can we now claim Queensland as an AFL State???

I think that's a big statement. It's borderline IMO. Give it a few years though, after the Gold Coast comes in and very quickly becomes successful (hard not to with all the concessions) and Queensland will definitely be an AFL state.

Not sure the rugby-loving idiots in West Sydney will see the light though.

QLD - is multi footy state that is it has strong support for a range of footy codes. Be it league, union, soccer, or AFL. It is not a state where there will be only one major footy code.

I hate it when people make comments like this. AFL is reasonably popular in Queensland yes but it still has a way to go to be the most popular football code in the state. It could happen one day but it won't happen for at least 20 years.

It's still a long way off... I've been living in Brisbane for 9 years now after moving from Perth and not much has changed.. My colleagues at work still call Aussie rules gayfl and theres only about 2 other people at my work that actually follow Aussie Rules moderately (and both are from Melbourne, and there are approximately 20 people in the office). It's fair to say that not much has changed in QLD since i came. As much as i would hate to say this but unless the Broncos/NRL fold AFL will never become the most popular sport in QLD.

LOL. I wish. I have been asked more than once who the 'Hawks' are when wearing a team T-Shirt. It's a generational thing and i have no doubt things will be different in 20-30 years. But currently, QLD is full of 30-50 year old bogans that love Rugby League.

A day's worth of positive publicity during the off-season doesn't make anywhere an AFL state. Otherwise I'd be claiming West Sydney as AFL territory, which it clearly isn't.
But, although Australian Football isn't the dominant code in Queensland doesn't mean AFL can't grow their share of the pie. Likewise in West Sydney - although rugby league won't be knocked off as the number 1 code, certainly not in our lifetime, doesn't mean there isn't a chance to build a significant supporter base.

The publicity for Fevola as he starts with the Lions is a good thing. But his toughest test is yet to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could almost now say Queensland is an AFL State.:thumbsu:

After living there for 22 years up until 2004 and visiting a number of times each year since. The sports news is still predominantly filled with stories about Thugby League apes.

But i do agree with another poster, that AFL could be the dominant sport in about 20-30 years, when a generation that has grown-up without only hearing about Thugby League is old enough to choose what sport they follow. Only then will things start to change.

It's still a long way off... I've been living in Brisbane for 9 years now after moving from Perth and not much has changed.. My colleagues at work still call Aussie rules gayfl and theres only about 2 other people at my work that actually follow Aussie Rules moderately (and both are from Melbourne, and there are approximately 20 people in the office). It's fair to say that not much has changed in QLD since i came. As much as i would hate to say this but unless the Broncos/NRL fold AFL will never become the most popular sport in QLD.

I wonder if that's still true with the younger generation in QLD, though?

Would this be about right?

Winter market share in terms of general interest.

RL 60p/c
RU 20p/c
AR 20p/c

Would this be about right?

Winter market share in terms of general interest.

RL 60p/c
RU 20p/c
AR 20p/c

In the media its more like
70% Rugby League
20% Rugby Union and Soccer
10% AFL

The media doesn't help either.. The Sunday Mail has about 8 pages at the front dedicated to RL it then has about 4 pages of Rugby and Soccer and at the very back theres one page of AFL with a small match report... League is well and truly the dominant sport in QLD.

In the media its more like
70% Rugby League
20% Rugby Union and Soccer
10% AFL
Are you kidding? I've seen AFL headline sports news many times this year. I've seen it on the backpage of the GC Bulletin many times this year as well. RL 60%, AFL 20%, the rest 20%.

All these percentages depend on the events on/off the field. e.g. In sydney, the Swans were taking up a large portion of the back end of the newspapers. Same when the Barry Hall incident happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back