Preview R18: Changes v Geelong

Who goes out, assuming both Laird and Brown return?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Seedsman still has a lot to prove; if Riley Knight was fit, I'd have him comfortably ahead of Seed.

Then you've got Hampton and Milera, who should be pushing for selection next year.

Totally agree Riley Knight impressed me even more than RAT last year when they both were getting games. Off Rat's improvement this year I'm sure I'd be selecting him first though hopefully Knight can have some improvement like that too!

Totally agree Riley Knight impressed me even more than RAT last year when they both were getting games. Off Rat's improvement this year I'm sure I'd be selecting him first though hopefully Knight can have some improvement like that too!

Knight's run into the finals was brilliant - and his performance against the Dogs was awesome; so refreshing to see a Crows player embrace expectation and thrive on the big stage; not wilt.

He was my excitement story for this year... Now it'll just have to be next year ;)

Knight's run into the finals was brilliant - and his performance against the Dogs was awesome; so refreshing to see a Crows player embrace expectation and thrive on the big stage; not wilt.

He was my excitement story for this year... Now it'll just have to be next year ;)
Rat has probably been mine for this year, aside from the team performing with great consistency for a change! I think his improvement from last year to this year is absolutely enormous. Though Hartigan's improvement is pretty incredible too as he used to make me cringe every time he went near the ball.

Damn right - just wish Knight was up and firing.

PS - your SIG; how much better is footy without the sub rule?

How ridiculous is it to look back now and think that we actually had one!
So much better - in years hence people will think, wait, they had a sub rule???!

And yeah, I keep thinking about the Bulldogs final last year and letting out a big sigh at how good a year I thought Knight would have this year.

I find it helpful when discussing likely team changes. BigFooty loves the knee jerk reaction - a player has a bad game, and everyone calls for them to be dropped. The club doesn't think that way. One bad game can be an anomaly, and they're not going to drop a player who they expect to bounce back the following week. Players coming back from injury are often given a run in the SANFL. That doesn't mean that they're not best 22, it just means that they need fitness before they come back into the senior team.

There are definitely exceptions - and ruckmen are the biggest and most obvious exception. But when we're talking about similar types of players (i.e. mids vs KPPs vs rucks), then I think there's value in it. If you disagree, then that's fine too.

At the end of the day, the selectors have only used 27 players this year. They clearly have a selection of players who they prefer above all others. Of those 27, VB is now clearly on the outer, and both he and Riley are injured. Milera is cooked, and it's hard to see him coming back into the side without a significant number of injuries. That leaves the 22 named to play against Geelong, plus Mackay and Seedsman. It is almost impossible to escape the conclusion that the selectors see these as the best 24 players at the club (excluding players like Hampton who have missed a lot of games due to injury).

Milera didn't look that 'cooked' last week at Glenelg Oval when he got possession back of centre, took 4 bounces with his opponent trailing, and kicked the goal. He was a little puffed afterwards though.

Last edited:
Any chance he had a week off during that period of higher performance?
Well, I can't remember the last time he did, because he's played nearly 100 games straight now. I'm fairly certain the last game he missed was against Geelong at Kardinia in either late 2011 or early 2012, and Mckernan took the ruck duties. Sauce I think was genuinely carrying something that day though which is why he wasn't risked.

Well, I can't remember the last time he did, because he's played nearly 100 games straight now. I'm fairly certain the last game he missed was against Geelong at Kardinia in either late 2011 or early 2012, and Mckernan took the ruck duties. Sauce I think was genuinely carrying something that day though which is why he wasn't risked.

Was referring to the bye. Having that week off didn't halt his momentum and if anything, he continued to improve after it.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, I haven't called for Mackays selection head since round 1. You seem to struggle with reality. Yes, I think he's been lucky due to injuries to guys like Knight and Hampton, but I've consistently accepted that he'd hold his spot. Until now.

I have, however, consistently suggested that he is incapable of maintaining an appropriate level of output to maintain his spot. It was only ever a matter of time. macca23 will attest to that.

I do have to back you up on that one Matty. You've never been a fan of his, but you've been very fair to him this year. As for calling for his dropping this week, I agree with it. You can't mix your form week by week and then play a shitter like he did last week and expect to get away with it.

Footywire says Round 18 2012. Well done :thumbsu:

Edit: Also round 11 that year

Cameron and McGovern, will need to stand up tonight after recent performances, as will every player in the team, but they have been down on output and simply can't afford to carry anyone tonight. The team has pressure to perform for spots, but only if they will drop players for non performance. I believe Pyke would have let the players know this and let those in the two's like Seedsman, CEY and Mackay that positions are open based on performance of both the first 22 and how they go in the two's. Otherwise complacency sets in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron and McGovern, will need to stand up tonight after recent performances, as will every player in the team, but they have been down on output and simply can't afford to carry anyone tonight. The team has pressure to perform for spots, but only if they will drop players for non performance. I believe Pyke would have let the players know this and let those in the two's like Seedsman, CEY and Mackay that positions are open based on performance of both the first 22 and how they go in the two's. Otherwise complacency sets in

I don't see any of Seed, CEY or Mackay providing more in a forward line role than either of those guys. And I think that there'd be too much tinkering of roles required for any adjustment that has a real future to work. Gut feel is that they'll get a rest, but it'll only be a temporary situation, not a genuine opportunity for another player. Our depth forward and back is actually quite poor at present, but we're fine for both inside and outside mids.

I never usually engage with your posts given you're a known troll, but as always you will get someone to bite at your rubbish.

McGovern has kicked 21 goals and ranks equal 15th in the entire AFL for goal assists. He's a forward not a midfielder, and a 4th string forward at that. They are more than satisfactory numbers for his role and that's why he would not be under selection pressure.

I never usually engage with your posts given you're a known troll, but as always you will get someone to bite at your rubbish.

McGovern has kicked 21 goals and ranks equal 15th in the entire AFL for goal assists. He's a forward not a midfielder, and a 4th string forward at that. They are more than satisfactory numbers for his role and that's why he would not be under selection pressure.
Agreed, plus he does a hell of a lot when he doesn't have the ball.

Cameron could go out but do we really have anyone with his pace to replace him? Yes he could be doing more but he's just so quick and we don't have anyone else like him.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Agreed, plus he does a hell of a lot when he doesn't have the ball.

Cameron could go out but do we really have anyone with his pace to replace him? Yes he could be doing more but he's just so quick and we don't have anyone else like him.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
No way Charles could go out. Its like some think a young small forward should be dominating every week. Not even Eddie does that.

Cameron was in the coaches votes just 3 weeks ago ffs. No one comes close to his pace or tackling pressure. He will dance with the ball tonight.

Back