Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Keys to Victory
The Gabba has dimensions similar to the MCG, which means both teams will be ready to explore those free spaces in the deep pockets. Since Port and Brisbane like having the ball, the winner will probably be the team with better execution.
Brisbane has enough talent to use the big field in its advantage, getting uncontested marks and avoiding contact, while also killing Port on counter-attacks. On the other hand, the Lions haven’t played a team as physical as Port, able to pressure them for two whole hours, nor have they imposed themselves physically against their previous opponents [tackles for v. against – Port: 143-114; Fitzroy: 109-93].
Tipping Port
Everything points to a close game. Still, I think that both teams playing their best footy, Port wins. The Lions look legit and play at home, but all things considered, it is our game to lose. We better be ready!
I will be awake for this one...

is anyone going to the game ?

I’m very nervous about this. I watched brisbane in round 1 and they looked electric. Worried about the pace of our defence with their two speedsters

I’ve said it before but it’s still true- the game will be won in the coaches’ box. They play an open exposed game and if we can find a way to break them down we win.

This is the closest thing to playing us in 2013- quick ball movement, hard running. We have to decide whether to play them at their own (and our own) game or shut them down and stifle them. It is harder to shut teams down with the new rules.

We have to fashion a working forward line. Will we see Howard forward? He has all the tools and has kicked a bag of 8 in the SANFL- why we haven’t tried him up forward more is a mystery to me.

Should be an entertaining game.

Flip a coin on this one. I expect it to be a frustrating one to watch as both teams will punish you for turnovers in transition with quick ball movement.

Great one for the neutral supporters, those with vested interest im not so sure.

Winner to under 15pts either way.

why we haven’t tried him up forward more is a mystery to me.
Yep same for me. All the tools as you say and a very good set shot. HH has said in the past he is not surprised at some
of the dumb things Dooogs does on field imo this is reflected as a KPD in his short nervous kicking and penchant to punch
instead of marking. Release him Ken and let's see what and why we recruited this CHF athletic phenomenon.

As to whether we win I genuinely don't know. If Polly hadn't marked on the goaline at the death last year they'd have beaten us.
They played a vastly more attractive game that that day and frankly were unlucky to lose.
Yep it's a 50/50 game for us but I reckon we'll get over the line thanks to Scotty Lycett and our other newbies.

So all up my day starts with the
1:12 train to Alberton, then plonk myself down for the Gabba game followed by Norwich City v QPR
Tipping a trifecta of the Maggies, Port and the Canaries. :D

Last edited:
is anyone going to the game ?

Flying up today, fingers crossed can come home with 4 points.

Posted in the preview thread that I don’t have a feel for this game, and I genuinely don’t. Brisbane have been patchy but will be tough to beat at home, we’ve had moments of brilliance but have a lot to work on.

I don’t know how much of my not being able to get a feel for tonight is the lack of a sample size given it is Round 3 and how much of it is not wanting to go in over confident after years of being let down as soon as my hopes get up... This will be a good test for us and probably not a bad indicator as to where we actually sit.

Head: Brisbane by 2-5 goals
Heart: Port by 5 goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Port fans who have been downplaying the significance of our win over Melbourne might have to reconsider if we get up tonight - it'll be tough, but not impossible.
People are completely missing the point on what I and others are saying about that win. But what you're saying now is pretty much exactly the point.

The Melbourne win now doesn't look great, but that doesn't mean we're definitely s**t, it means that right now while a fair few of our fans are happy to just forget 4 years of failure and start drinking the cool aid again, some of us are still holding fire on thinking we are improving until after we see some more evidence of it. And absolutely yes, you are right, if the evidence comes tonight with a win, we will be 3-0 with a real crack at Richmond, and it will definitely be fair to say we've improved and are on the right track. However until then, right now it is hard to say that we have based on the fact we've beaten 2 of the bottom 3 teams, and the last JLT win was against the other team in that bottom 3.

Meanwhile, I'm pumped for today's double header. 2 very tough basically 50/50 games. It would be amazing to go to sleep tonight with all 6 points in the bag. Both games are going to really start to show us where we are at, and I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Hopefully Marshall kicks a bag for the Magpies, and Grundy has a good debut.

And hopefully the return of Wines doesn't impact Rockliffs form and the pair of them put on a clinic, while Ryder ditches the helmet and gets back to some form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port fans who have been downplaying the significance of our win over Melbourne might have to reconsider if we get up tonight - it'll be tough, but not impossible.
I understand round 1 gave us confidence but I still think at this point beating Brisbane would be more impressive than beating Melbourne or Carlton.

I come in peace.

Good luck today. Looks like it will be a slippery night again similar to the west coast game. Its refreshing visiting an opponent's board and being feared.

Hoping for a lions win of course but should be close.
Has Swooping Crow visited your board yet willing you to win?

I think they will target Westhoff and try and keep him quiet, just like Carlton did. If they give frees like last night, Westhoff should get 20 on his own. Ebert to get 5.

I have absolutely no idea about what might happen.

At peak Hinkleyball and BrIons at their worst I was not confident of a win against them when it should have been schelackings.

This week and next 2 weeks will tell us a bit I reckon about how the team sees itself.

Based on the first couple of weeks I would predict the following.

The magpies game will give us an insight into the mindset of the players (how we start how we finish).

We will start poorly and be close at half time And go down or win by 20 odd points.

Or............

What I am hoping for.

Brisbane will roll the dice and take us on and it will be an absolute cracker of a game that showcases the speed and beauty of our game plan and we sit around saying faaark how good was that to watch (from both teams) and we win by 40 ( As our veterans stand up and the lions have no off switch/plan b yet.

Caaarn you Ports.

Lot of respect for how the lions are going about it this year.

This will test us and we should find out a bit about where we actually sit, hope we can stand up.

Port by a point with butters kicking a goal after the siren from 45 out on an angle

Should be some fast, attacking footy on display tonight!
Two good midfields locking horns.
The boys by a couple kicks with Ollie back in!

I understand round 1 gave us confidence but I still think at this point beating Brisbane would be more impressive than beating Melbourne or Carlton.
And I still maintain that there are NO easy games in this competition. It's a bloody tough league, and any win is precious. Winning tonight - doubly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back