Preview R4: Changes vs Richmond - IN: Michie OUT: Frost

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't played on a Friday night under Roos have we? It's our first real marquee outing with him as the coach.

The last Friday night game that i properly recall is against Essendon a few years ago, when they were talking up Scully, Trengove and Gysberts as a '10 year engine room'.

Last Friday night we won was in Round 11, 2011 against Essendon.

Highlights (+ some classic Dennis and Bruce).

Notable occurences:
  • Gawn and Howe debut.
  • Stef Martin relishes Jamar's continued absence with another monster game.
  • Having gone down to Carlton by over 8 goals the week before, Mitch Robinson uttered the famous bruise-free taunt. Dean Bailey's game plan was targeted by the media, and he got so excited in the last few minutes of the game that he punched the bench in triumph and celebrated with the team on the field.
  • Watts and Trengove take hangers.
  • Brad Green has the Brad Green-iest game of his life. Vintage.
  • 3 votes J.McKenzie
  • TALK ABOUT EXCLAMATION MARK.
B: Joel MacDonald - James Frawley - James Strauss

HB: Jamie Bennell - Jared Rivers - Daniel Nicholson

C: Colin Sylvia - Jordie McKenzie - Tom Scully

HF: Jack Trengove - Liam Jurrah - Cale Morton

F: Jack Watts - Brad Green - Jeremy Howe

R: Stefan Martin - Brent Moloney - Nathan Jones

IC: Max Gawn - Jordan Gysberts - Michael Evans
S: Neville Jetta

There's the team for that night. Players playing tonight are bolded, those still on the list are italicised, and those on another list underlined.

Notable occurences:
  • Gawn and Howe debut.
  • Having gone down to Carlton by over 8 goals the week before, Mitch Robinson uttered the famous bruise-free taunt. Dean Bailey's game plan was targeted by the media, and he got so excited in the last few minutes of the game that he punched the bench in triumph and celebrated with the team on the field.
  • 3 votes J.McKenzie

There's the team for that night. Players playing tonight are bolded, those still on the list are italicised, and those on another list underlined.

That's actually both disgusting an refreshing that there are only 4 players from that game left in the 22

So so much wasted potential

Notable occurences:
  • Gawn and Howe debut.
  • 3 votes J.McKenzie

Jebus, if that team can win a game then surely our current lot can win the comp??

There's actually some genuine talent on that list, tbh. Jurrah would still be our best forward, Stefan Martin our best ruck, and Sylvia and Moloney with their fingers out would be comfortably 22.

Notable occurences:
  • Gawn and Howe debut.
  • 3 votes J.McKenzie

Also Rivers played really well in this game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh wait, that wasn't the game I was thinking of. I was thinking of that shocking Saturday night game in 2012. 14 goals and 26 behinds between the two teams. Absolutely appalling game of football.
You mean Neeld's only win against a non-expansion side?

There's actually some genuine talent on that list, tbh. Jurrah would still be our best forward, Stefan Martin our best ruck, and Sylvia and Moloney with their fingers out would be comfortably 22.

Eh, problem I had with Jurrah and the same issue with Clark when he actually played is they would go after absolutely everything even if one of the other players were going to take an uncontested mark 25 metres out. Jurrah was good but there was no real forward line structure as he'd float around all over the shop and do what he liked. The Campaigner was the same - was handy when he was playing for us but frustrating to watch him drag an opponent to a contest when someone else was better placed to win the pill. Lots of talent, not much teamwork.

Sylvia never pulled his finger out.
Moloney's long punt merchantism would probably work fine with Hogan down forward, but I'm glad he's gone. He'd be getting in the road of a Tyson, Brayshaw, Newton etc if he was still here.

Eh, problem I had with Jurrah and the same issue with Clark when he actually played is they would go after absolutely everything even if one of the other players were going to take an uncontested mark 25 metres out. Jurrah was good but there was no real forward line structure as he'd float around all over the shop and do what he liked. The Campaigner was the same - was handy when he was playing for us but frustrating to watch him drag an opponent to a contest when someone else was better placed to win the pill. Lots of talent, not much teamwork.

Sylvia never pulled his finger out.
Moloney's long punt merchantism would probably work fine with Hogan down forward, but I'm glad he's gone. He'd be getting in the road of a Tyson, Brayshaw, Newton etc if he was still here.
History will tell us that that group of guys won game of football. That's the bottom line. Hopefully it'll say the same about our current group.

Strange game in that most of both supporter bases just do not know what way this game is going to go. I assume that it will be a tight contest between the two but my confidence of a win is very low. I think (or hope rather) Richmond by 12, but I can easily see Melbourne getting up by that much or more

Is Sam Frost a big out for you guys? I don't know much about him

That group had all the talent in the world but none of the desire to work for each other when things got tough

Look at Nathan Jones lead the club now compared to how Moloney and Sylvia led

That 2011 team made me sick, smash an interstate side at home , then get pummelled by a Vic side at home before Green or someone would come out and say it was about how we 'responded' and we would flog another interstate side at home, then we would get flogged again and the cycle would repeat

Didn't we have an average winning margin and losing margin around 10 goals

After our performance against the dogs no richmond supporter is confident in the slightest. Can definitely see you overtaking us in the next few years.

Strange game in that most of both supporter bases just do not know what way this game is going to go. I assume that it will be a tight contest between the two but my confidence of a win is very low. I think (or hope rather) Richmond by 12, but I can easily see Melbourne getting up by that much or more

Not a huge out, he was our back up ruck but hadn't done much in the forward line and no space for him down back at the moment.

Frosty is a project at the moment, has the potential to be a long term key back but was playing a role as a mobile 3rd tall forward, we've gone with the extra runner this week with Michie which most agree will improve us

Notable occurences:
  • Gawn and Howe debut.
  • 3 votes J.McKenzie

Great post Tulip. I love the classic Bailey forward line of 5 mediums and a midfielder... and 3 votes to Jordie. Lolz.

They had no defensive side to their game whatsoever. Biggest downhill skiers in aeons. Jurrah was the personification of that. We have an entirely different philosophy now. People used to compare our game style to Geelong. We had all of their attacking instinct but none of their ability...
Give me Dees 2014 every day of the week.
It used to ******* irk me how Bailey , God bless his soul, would be down on the boundary patting them on the bum after they'd put in the most hideous, half arsed efforts. I'm sure Watts would have developed differently under Roos.

Frosty is a project at the moment, has the potential to be a long term key back but was playing a role as a mobile 3rd tall forward, we've gone with the extra runner this week with Michie which most agree will improve us
Yeah we haven't looked nearly as fast since Round 1 when Dawes was out. Hopefully that's improved tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back