Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kontiki Expedition was required reading for us at school! They were balsa logs from memory. He was trying to prove that Polynesian settlement emanated from the East (South America) and not the West (Australasia) as was the commonly held theory at the time.

Oh that's right, it was the one he did in Egypt to the Americas with reeds. Yeah, he's been discredited as a theorist but it's a hell of an adventure.

I kinda want to do the scandinavian region myself, but strictly speaking, I'm aware of my lets say borderline social anxiety, and the fact that I travel alone generally means for me to feel "safe" is different than most other people. So despite then say wanting to transit back through Russia, as despite their history, I love their architecture and just want to sit through a couple of their operas despite my English friend hating it the region with a passion.

So long story shorting, kinda sticking to where I can speak English and generally flee easily if felt like it / required without doing the obvious thing like Bali/Thailand.

So long story shorting, kinda sticking to where I can speak English and generally flee easily if felt like it / required without doing the obvious thing like Bali/Thailand.
In most of Northern Europe they have better english the us, It was odd talking to someone who technically has better English then me a native speaker.

Norwegian women are mint though,

I kinda want to do the scandinavian region myself, but strictly speaking, I'm aware of my lets say borderline social anxiety, and the fact that I travel alone generally means for me to feel "safe" is different than most other people. So despite then say wanting to transit back through Russia, as despite their history, I love their architecture and just want to sit through a couple of their operas despite my English friend hating it the region with a passion.

Norway and Sweden are amazing, but very expensive. The scenery, especially the fjords and waterfalls, is spectacular. My brother and sister-in- law ( she’s Swedish) were still living there when we first went there many, many years ago. Don’t worry, they speak English very well there.

The Voss- Bergen railway journey is wonderful. Obviously, we went in mid-summer ( not sure I’d ever go in winter), borrowed their tent and travelled north of the arctic circle into Lapland - two tiny places called Gallivare and Jokkmok which the train goes to only a couple of times a week. It is correctly called the Land of the Midnight Sun as it never really got dark and we had to sleep with airline masks on! Still it gave us plenty of time to chat to all our “neighbours.”

Stockholm and Oslo are wonderful cites (not so much Finland and Helsinki imo) but I really loved going a bit more off the beaten track. The “Viking nations” sure are a good-looking bunch.

Was also very lucky to go to St.Petersburg a few years ago - boy the opulence there at the Catherine palace, the Hermitage and other palaces and churches leave you in no doubt as to why there was a revolution, a part of history thats always fascinated me. It’s pretty hard to do Russia by yourself though. A highlight for me (maybe not for others) was to see Swan Lake performed by the St Petersburg ballet in the home of Tchaikovsky. Again, not a place you want to visit in winter!

Time to try and escape your comfort zone - although it looks like it might be a while yet unfortunately.

Last edited:
Huh?
Why is this relevant to my post?
Or are you just flexing your cancel culture bias again?
"Cancel culture bias" hahahahaha. Righto.

It's relevant to your post because your assertion is factually incorrect and so I corrected it for you.

Newscorp is apparently losing money hand over fist,

They have not adapted to the mass internet age, free market capitalism says adapt or be made redundant
Too bad so sad as far as I'm concerned. No journalism in newscorp anymore, it's all just propaganda pieces that they furiously deny are propaganda pieces.

I love Sri Lanka, I wanted to live in Kandy. I found this colonial run down building for sale but couldn't get a loan for it and found that the overseas ownership laws make it impossible to get hold of realestate. I was imagining a nice restaurant in there and renovating it for w***ers like me to stay in upstairs. I know a woman who's family are Sri Lankan but she wasn't keen to do it with me. Kandy needs a good restaurant, the food is the worst in the country but it's the nicest city IMO.

Did you stay in the Bawa hotel and Kandelama? It's my favourite hotel in the world. It's like a Bond villain designed it compete with teams of thieving monkeys.
Stayed just out of Kandy on the hill overlooking the lake really nice hotel except for the monkey's trying to break into the room. Awesome city. Temple of the Tooth with all the pilgrims was one of the greatest experiences of my travels.

Was going to do Perahera last year but covid and sh*t.

Monkeys making themselves at home on our balconyView attachment 1063802
Love travelling always have always will.

Been lucky enough to go to Sri Lanka 5 times. Potted history

1973 - buying opium "lollies" at the pharmacies.

1983 - stranded at the airport for two days during massive riots in Colombo.

1994 - My wife getting food poisoning at Bawa's hotel in Kandalama and the street vendor having my morning cup of tea, banana pancakes and a cigarette all ready by the time I got to the beach for a surf check.

2003 - machine guns check points sitting in the surf seeing aircraft flying overhead doing bombing raids about 50 km up the coast.

2013 - kataragama perahera and being about the only non sri lankan there and of course the 4 gorgeous young surfer girls who decided I would make the perfect surf coach.

And on each visit, the locals were absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Norway and Sweden are amazing, but very expensive. The scenery, especially the fjords, and waterfalls is spectacular. My brother and sister in law ( she’s Swedish) were still living there when we first went there many, many years ago. Don’t worry, they speak English very well there.

The Voss- Bergen railway journey is wonderful. Obviously, we went in mid-summer ( not sure I’d ever go in winter), borrowed their tent and travelled north of the article circle into Lapland - two tiny places called Gallivare and Jokkmok which the train goes to only a couple of times a week. It is correctly called the Land of the Midnight Sun as it never really got dark and we had to sleep with airline masks on! Still it gave us plenty of time to chat to all our “neighbours.”

Stockholm and Oslo are wonderful cites ( not so much Finland and Helsinki imo) but I really loved going a bit more off the beaten track. The “Viking nations” sure are a good-looking bunch.

Was also very lucky to go to St.Petersburg a few years ago - boy the opulence there at the Catherine palace, the Hermitage and other palaces and churches leave you in no doubt as to why there was a revolution, a part of history thats always fascinated me. It’s pretty hard to do Russia by yourself though. A highlight for me (maybe not for others) was to see Swan Lake performed by the St Petersburg ballet in the home of Tchaikovsky. Again, not a place you want to visit in winter!

Time to try and escape your comfort zone - although it looks like it might be a while yet unfortunately.

Microsoft introduced me to this place as somewhere that looks amazing ( it was on the splash screen that loads automatically ).
Henningsvær
Famous for their soccer pitch.

view-on-henningsvaer.jpg

This is the main excuse used by those who drive a Tesla for the environment , but travel overseas in the ultimate gas guzzling device at every opportunity.
That's good because I don't do either

Love travelling always have always will.

Been lucky enough to go to Sri Lanka 5 times. Potted history

1973 - buying opium "lollies" at the pharmacies.

1983 - stranded at the airport for two days during massive riots in Colombo.

1994 - My wife getting food poisoning at Bawa's hotel in Kandalama and the street vendor having my morning cup of tea, banana pancakes and a cigarette all ready by the time I got to the beach for a surf check.

2003 - machine guns check points sitting in the surf seeing aircraft flying overhead doing bombing raids about 50 km up the coast.

2013 - kataragama perahera and being about the only non sri lankan there and of course the 4 gorgeous young surfer girls who decided I would make the perfect surf coach.

And on each visit, the locals were absolutely fantastic.

It's a pretty crazy place, my son split his head open in Ella and we had to get a Tuk Tuk to a public hospital in the middle of the night. it still had apothecary cabinets from the colonial era and the wheelchair was a removalist's trolly with a chair struck to it, pigeons and cats roaming the wards and open latrines. The buses were still worse, they take off when you just step onto the footwell. We climbed Sigiriya in super hot humid weather only to get to the top platform to do the view bit and a swarm of hornets attacked everyone and had to retreat. It was still one of my favourite places despite all that.

This is the main excuse used by those who drive a Tesla for the environment , but travel overseas in the ultimate gas guzzling device at every opportunity.

My level of hypocrisy is quite strong. You can do one trip a year and not travel for business meetings that could be handled over a video etc and not be wasteful or excessive the rest of the time though. I live pretty low impact most of the time but that is an indulgence that we seem to not be able to stop.

Ha ha - not an issue for me. My conscience is squeaky clean - not having kids means I've got carbon credits coming out every orifice!!

Now where's the V8!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha - not an issue for me. My conscience is squeaky clean - not having kids means I've got carbon credits coming out every orifice!!

Now where's the V8!!!

Two kids, carbon footprint everywhere. Don't blame me, I didn't invent this f**ked up economic system.

Too bad so sad as far as I'm concerned. No journalism in newscorp anymore, it's all just propaganda pieces that they furiously deny are propaganda pieces.
And Robbos drunken rants.

Wonder what is the HS's beer budget

And Robbos drunken rants.

Wonder what is the HS's beer budget
They would do better if they'd stop trying to pretend to be a 'paper' and go with the 'Sporting Globe'..no so called news, no shite editorial, no nuts and definitely no Bolts. I could put up with Mark Robinson's tripe if it was a small byline in the Sporting Globe.

Norway and Sweden are amazing, but very expensive. The scenery, especially the fjords and waterfalls, is spectacular. My brother and sister-in- law ( she’s Swedish) were still living there when we first went there many, many years ago. Don’t worry, they speak English very well there.

The Voss- Bergen railway journey is wonderful. Obviously, we went in mid-summer ( not sure I’d ever go in winter), borrowed their tent and travelled north of the arctic circle into Lapland - two tiny places called Gallivare and Jokkmok which the train goes to only a couple of times a week. It is correctly called the Land of the Midnight Sun as it never really got dark and we had to sleep with airline masks on! Still it gave us plenty of time to chat to all our “neighbours.”

Stockholm and Oslo are wonderful cites (not so much Finland and Helsinki imo) but I really loved going a bit more off the beaten track. The “Viking nations” sure are a good-looking bunch.

We were in Lapland January last year! Finland side of the border. We were just there for the aurora (which we got lucky enough to see!). Other than that... the people were ... nice. A little weird tbh.

definitely want to repeat the trip but do Norway and Sweden instead. We spent one night in Stockholm. Amazing city.

GAGFG.
The last letter stands for Google.
Where I work, we get a minimum of 10 wrong phone numbers per day.
All of them are people who do Google searches from their smartphones and then hit the phone icon next to the business name.
I know this to be a fact because I always ask how they got our number.
This has been happening for about 2 years now. Anyone else have this issue?

BTW. We still get people who direct dial the wrong number.
I particularly enjoy the callers who think we are a doctor's surgery and then proceed to start telling me their medical problems, until I cut them off.
Apparently John's hemorrhoids were playing up yesterday!
And just a heads up to all the nuffies out there.... if you want to speak to the office of a certain high profile politician based in Sydney, put a fcuking (02) at the start of the phone number. This happens at least once a day.

And just a heads up to all the nuffies out there.... if you want to speak to the office of a certain high profile politician based in Sydney, put a fcuking (02) at the start of the phone number. This happens at least once a day.
Must be a Liberal :p

GAGFG.
The last letter stands for Google.
Where I work, we get a minimum of 10 wrong phone numbers per day.
All of them are people who do Google searches from their smartphones and then hit the phone icon next to the business name.
I know this to be a fact because I always ask how they got our number.
This has been happening for about 2 years now. Anyone else have this issue?

BTW. We still get people who direct dial the wrong number.
I particularly enjoy the callers who think we are a doctor's surgery and then proceed to start telling me their medical problems, until I cut them off.
Apparently John's hemorrhoids were playing up yesterday!

The white pages still exist as an official phone number directory.
But no....lets just google where someone has randomly listed the information without ever contacting the company involved.

Another pet hate is when i look for a restaurant and find a million hits on menu log etc, finally finding the official website on the 3rd page.

You could have fun with the doctor thing.

"oh we are doing immediate phone consultations due to covid. You know you can easily fix those hemorrhoid's by giving yourself an enema with alka-selzter... and then coating the entire area with iodine for 2 inches around the hemorrhoid."

Work have had a brainfart. They're going to put storage racks infront of and above the welding bay because we have way too many jobs and not enough storage space.
Any thought on how we do jobs and how a rack gets in the way if we need to use the crane. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back