Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting discussion about bikes ... so, what do others on here use to get their legs going ?

I’m not into e-bikes, but have pushed some 2,500km incl. some 41,000m climbing so far this year on my Trek Domane SL6 (road) / Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 (mountain) / Wahoo Kickr Bike (stationary), still optimistic to reach my 10k / 150k target for 2021.

I use my car these days. My bike does more work fending off cobwebs than it does on the road these days.

This might be a dumb question, but see with e-bikes, how much exercise are you doing vs cycling a normal pusher?

Obviously you need to still do some pedalling but would you expect to burn half the calories? Less?

Is it more of a rival to say an electric scooter (or a tool for commuting more than fitness) or it’s a genuine rival of a road/mountain/hybrid bike?

I just got a Scott hybrid but it’s more for fitness and just getting out and about than anything else.

After COVID my daily commute has pretty much gone.

The one i have only assists when i pedal.
Its not always completely smooth ( you need a motor mounted at the pedals for that ).

I got it on Friday, and needing to go for a covid test on Saturday , i thought i'd test it out , complete with cold symptoms from Narre Warren North to Berwick. I went the scenic route, up to Hallam , down along the Freeway path.
On the flat it was pretty easy to cruise at 20-25 km/h. I wasn't sure about battery life , so i put it on setting 3 when it was easy. If i want to go faster than 25 its all me, the assistance progressively drops out somewhere between 20 and 25. The battery and motor adds around 7kg to a normal bike i think.
( some of the exotic ones are lighter ).

Up a hill where you'd normally getting towards the bottom of the gears, down to 10km/h or less , and for me , puffing , I was able to either push hard and keep the speed up, or drop down a couple of gears and sit on 15-20km/h.

The gearing isn't set up for faster speeds, so rather than spin the pedals like mad downhill, i just turned the assistance off and coasted down the hill at around 40km/h.

After my Covid test, i was feeling pretty confident and chose a hillier way back. I cycled to the top of Ernst Wanke road, realising on the way that it was steeper than i'd noticed going that way in a car. I got down through the gears a bit, but i'm sure it would have killed me without the electrics.

Ended up doing a 20km trip , stopping on the way to show my bike to my Mother in Law, and then having the Covid test. Whole thing took around an hour 40.

I often go for a 5km walk with the dog, the next day i'm really feeling it in my knees and feet. I had no issues after the ride.

So this morning , in light drizzle, i took off towards Braeside. Its pretty much an average downhill gradient all the way, and a lot of the time i was sitting on 25 or a bit faster, with the power turned down to 3. Pretty much covered 5km each 15 minutes, getting to work in an hour and importantly not feeling too knackered for work. Hardly used any power from the battery. ( i expect that going home will be harder or slower ).

Getting to work by public transport is an hour and a half minimum, can be up to 2 hours.
Getting to work by car is 40 minutes minimum, and has been all too frequently an hour if any incident at all happens on any of the roads.
Also the car commute has been driving me crazy as the other *&^% on the road do anything they can to be idiots and block traffic.
No stress on the bike .

I can go to my house to fountain gate shopping centre in 15 minutes on the bike, the car would be no quicker.

So far my impression is that i can work as hard as i want. Its a balance of speed and effort, if i want to go faster i need to work more . So as i get fitter i hope i can get my average speed up higher.

Back in the days when i used to ride mountain bikes, and went half way round the bay, i was never inclined to do a daily commute on it. My knees would play up, and i'd turn up to work exhausted. So far i'm enjoying this, and doing more exercise than i would without it.

I spent about $4000 on my mountain bike but I wanted something I could also ride on mountain bike tracks. Looks like you have bought a decent entry model for your daily commute. Because it makes it so easy to get around, once you've got it you might find that you use it for other things.
I also use my Ebike for going to gym, picking up a few items at the shops and visiting friends.
Hope the commute goes well for you and you get many years of enjoyment from the bike.
BTW. A saints scarf is a must when you are riding in winter

I'd get too hot with a scarf i think. I wasn't sure if i was going to get to work wet or not this morning so i packed my the T-Shirt with the company name on it into my backpack, and put a JeldWen Era top on . Thin but long sleeves.
When i got to work it was nice and dry ( from both rain and sweat ) and i told everyone it was the new company uniform.

I'd get too hot with a scarf i think. I wasn't sure if i was going to get to work wet or not this morning so i packed my the T-Shirt with the company name on it into my backpack, and put a JeldWen Era top on . Thin but long sleeves.
When i got to work it was nice and dry ( from both rain and sweat ) and i told everyone it was the new company uniform.
How did the bike perform. Did it power up the hills?

How did the bike perform. Did it power up the hills?

It sure helps on hills.
I can either push hard and keep it in a tall gear, ( 20km/h or so ) , or i can drop down a couple of gears and take it easy as i go up the hill at 15 or so.
My trip to work is heading along creek trails from Narre North towards the bay, so its pretty much all downhill. The trip home will be the telling one.
I think i have a beer in the fridge to keep me pushing.

The more expensive ones with the motor mounted at the pedals are better for hills because they put the power through the gears, where mine is a fixed gear at the hub ( with only my pedal power going through the gears ).

*You can't run through a campsite. You can only ran because it pass tents
*I once had sex while camping. It was a fcuking in tents experience
*I tried to buy a camouflage tent, but I couldn't see any

*You can't run through a campsite. You can only ran because it pass tents
*I once had sex while camping. It was a fcuking in tents experience
*I tried to buy a camouflage tent, but I couldn't see any
You seemed intent when you posted this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since i got my bike, i've been getting the targeted advertising ( i miss the women's underwear ) and i got this one.

To me this just epitomises the amout of jerking off that is going on in cycling.
As a professional engineer, there is no amount of design work or material that can justify that price.
It costs more than a 500cc KTM motorcycle, which is in itself a fine piece of engineering with a lot more content.
A Toyota Corolla in comparison is just chalk and cheese for the amount of fine quality engineering you get for your money.

People who like standing round with their dick poking out of their lycra, showing off that you threw away more money than all the others, should buy one of these.

Yes bikes are more fashionable than motorbikes ( bogans ) and Corolla's. I guess you pay for fashion just like women pay thousands for those handbags.

first day back at work and all i can think about is winning lotto
I went back Monday. By Wendesday it feels like a I've never had a holiday at all.
I think I'm due for a change. I have been at my current place for 9 years.

Gringo this was wide world of sports, gold when I was a kid on Sunday mornings.

It was full of different sports, loads of football including a panel and report on each game with interviews etc. At one stage they even had a kicking competition that was filmed at Moorabbin, it was distance and accuracy they had like a giant handball target that they had to stab kick at 😂 it was a brilliant show when I was a kid.

The tug of war was community teams I’d forgotten the footy teams had teams as well, the wood chop was great as well. It gave exposure to sports many people would rarely have seen. I went to the velodrome often because of my mums family but you could watch world champions race in front of small crowds most weeks. The sprint on rollers was a bit of a joke but viewers loved it.

The vfl was never live and the footy replay went for about an hour straight after the games on a Saturday evening, just highlights from some games and a block from game of the round. The panel discussion, highlights and interviews on a Sunday were fantastic.

Last edited:

It was full of different sports, loads of football including a panel and report on each game with interviews etc. At one stage they even had a kicking competition that was filmed at Moorabbin, it was distance and accuracy they had like a giant handball target that they had to stab kick at 😂 it was a brilliant show when I was a kid.

The tug of war was community teams I’d forgotten the footy teams had teams as well, the wood chop was great as well. It gave exposure to sports many people would rarely have seen. I went to the velodrome often because of my mums family but you could watch world champions race in front of small crowds most weeks. The sprint on rollers was a bit of a joke but viewers loved it.

The vfl was never live and the footy replay went for about an hour straight after the games on a Saturday evening, just highlights from some games and a block from game of the round. The panel discussion, highlights and interviews on a Sunday was fantastic.

Great stuff but you forgot this bit

The vfl was never live and the footy replay went for about an hour straight after the games on a Saturday evening, just highlights from some games and a block from game of the round. The panel discussion, highlights and interviews on a Sunday were fantastic.

I was a little kid when he was on in that period. I vaguely remember it. Lou Richards was on later doing the same stuff with Bob Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back