Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who wants to swap places. Currently caravanning around Kangaroo Island 1200km from home.

Beautiful place lots of things to see and do -

only problem oil pressure warning light on and the engine making noises!!!

So who wants to swap places. Currently caravanning around Kangaroo Island 1200km from home.

Beautiful place lots of things to see and do -

only problem oil pressure warning light on and the engine making noises!!!
Pull over and check the oil, I’d be calling whatever help is avaliable.

Yeah - did that straight away. Oil full so you'd think a sensor but engine noise suggests something much much much more serious.
Yes exactly, having plenty of oil is a relief but anytime your engine is making strange noises with the oil light on is panic stations imo.

I‘d park it until you can get a mechanic there, can’t do any damage letting it sit.

Yes exactly, having plenty of oil is a relief but anytime your engine is making strange noises with the oil light on is panic stations imo.

I‘d park it until you can get a mechanic there, can’t do any damage letting it sit.
Mechanics analysis - f***ed. Off to Adelaide to buy another car!!!!

Yeah - did that straight away. Oil full so you'd think a sensor but engine noise suggests something much much much more serious.
The sensor measures pressure, so its possible if there is a problem with an oil pump, you can have a sump full of oil , but its not going where its needed.

Used car prices are through the roof unfortunately.

You could get them to drop a new engine in but that’s money and time and a hassle as well.

Anyway good luck with it.

Depending what it is.
I had a Territory AWD turbo. Had to do the suspension bushes. cost around $5000.
I had a Territory 2wd , transmission cacked itself last year.
Reco unit with upgraded cooler fitted $2000 within 2 days ( the car had done a loooot of towing when i bought it i think and the old trans had a stuffed cooler ).

Friend living in Malaysia had a little Mercedes SUV. Transmission s**t itself ( without doing any towing or special driving ) . Cost of repair $12 000.

Engines for Falcadores are pretty cheap to get a replacement fitted.

My daughters wedding went off without a hitch.

A very nice church service followed by a reception on the bay. The backdrop was beautiful, the food and service were excellent and the sunset really turned it on right behind the wedding table.

Bloody glad it’s over though, it’s so nice not to have to worry about Covid restrictions and arrangements.

A very nice church service followed by a reception on the bay. The backdrop was beautiful, the food and service were excellent and the sunset really turned it on right behind the wedding table.

Bloody glad it’s over though, it’s so nice not to have to worry about Covid restrictions and arrangements.

Congratulations! You must be very pleased, relieved ....and somewhat lighter of pocket 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't at Yarra Valley by any chance

You could get them to drop a new engine in but that’s money and time and a hassle as well.

Car was worth $8k - cheapest 2nd hand engine replacement is $6k, freight the engine to SA, transport the car of the island and then pay the mechanic on top of that - not happening.

In Adelaide looking at cars ATM - anyone got thoughts on Mitsubishi Challengers?

Seen some car yards sell a car to someone precovid, come back and trade the car in post covid and there's like a 20k mark up.

It's utterly insane!

Car was worth $8k - cheapest 2nd hand engine replacement is $6k, freight the engine to SA, transport the car of the island and then pay the mechanic on top of that - not happening.

In Adelaide looking at cars ATM - anyone got thoughts on Mitsubishi Challengers?

I think those challengers were meant to be okay. They were thirsty but pretty basic like Triton with a station wagon body. Toyotas are always better but more expensive. I'm guessing you want towing grunt so maybe like an older Kluger or something might be cheap.

I've been riding quite a bit lately on the Eastlink trail. It has some great sections, the path is quite wide and I highly recommend it for anyone who does not like riding on the road.
I particularly like the Mullum Mullum section (very scenic). Some of the hills on the Eastlink trail are quite challenging, so not for everyone, but the reward for all that effort is coming down those hills.
The Eastlink trail is a shared pathway and most people know how to use it properly. Yesterday I struck a few clueless individuals.

1. Clueless walkers
If you are walking as a couple along a shared footway and you hear a bicycle bell behind you, do not panic, jump into the middle of the path and hug each other. Continue walking on the left and the cyclist will pass you on the right.

2. Clueless rider
If you are riding a bike and decide that you want to stop, exit on the left hand side of the path. Yesterday I had a cyclist veer off on the right hand side of the path directly in front of me. They did not even look behind them before they exited, which was challenging for me because I was coming down a hill at 30+ km and was about to overtake the cyclist.
There must have been divine intervention because;
-Miracle no.1.
Somehow I managed to stop in time and avoid a collision.
-Miracle no.2.
I did not offer any "helpful suggestions" or "words of encouragement" to the cyclist

I think those challengers were meant to be okay. They were thirsty but pretty basic like Triton with a station wagon body. Toyotas are always better but more expensive. I'm guessing you want towing grunt so maybe like an older Kluger or something might be cheap.

Very different vehicle.

As you said , Challenger is based on a Triton. 3100Kg towing capacity.
Kluger is based on a Camry. Towing capacity 2000Kg
Similarly a Ford Territory is based on a Falcon platform, which is a bit in between. Towing capacity 2300KG.
( Both the latter not enough for larger carabans ).
Challenger will drive like a truck when not towing, the other two much more car like.

Kluger's are bloody expensive IMO. People just pay too much for old Toyotas.

My friends had a large van, and selling their old Land Rover, their vehicle choices were pretty much limited to a Jeep, a Land Crui$$er , or a Mitsubishi Pajero.
The Pajero was by far the nicest to drive ( least truck like ) and they've had no problems to speak of.
( they had previously owned a smaller jeep , not as a towing vehicle and had hated it and its problems )

Very different vehicle.

As you said , Challenger is based on a Triton. 3100Kg towing capacity.
Kluger is based on a Camry. Towing capacity 2000Kg
Similarly a Ford Territory is based on a Falcon platform, which is a bit in between. Towing capacity 2300KG.
( Both the latter not enough for larger carabans ).
Challenger will drive like a truck when not towing, the other two much more car like.

Kluger's are bloody expensive IMO. People just pay too much for old Toyotas.

My friends had a large van, and selling their old Land Rover, their vehicle choices were pretty much limited to a Jeep, a Land Crui$$er , or a Mitsubishi Pajero.
The Pajero was by far the nicest to drive ( least truck like ) and they've had no problems to speak of.
( they had previously owned a smaller jeep , not as a towing vehicle and had hated it and its problems )
Big day - took a couple of Challengers and Territorys for test drives.

Cant be f***ed messing around so I've decided on the Challenger. Tow capacity was a factor but our van isn't a huge weight but having a proper 4wd capacity is a bonus for when we get back to East Gippie.

Now only need to pay for yet another trip back to Kangaroo Is to collect the van and then its off to the Coonawarra to spend whatever money is left in the bank account!!

RIP Michael Gudinski. Legend of the Australian Music industry - and a passionate Saints man too.

what a kick in the guts this news was :-(

so many good aussie bands got a real start because of his label. i personally know of a group of guys who's lives changed forever because they were willing to punt on a small band from perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back