Fleggy

Senior List
Mar 30, 2011
Pakenham
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bulls
After the brilliance of Friday night, the inevitable comparisons to the Fremantle game started. Where do you rank each of our wins this year?

Here's my rankings:

Vs Collingwood - ANZAC Day is still the biggest game of the year and to smash them was fantastic.

Vs Adelaide - after a turbulent off-season, to respond the way they did, interstate, was a great start to the season.

Vs Fremantle - Interstate again, against a definite Top 4 side - true grit.

Vs Carlton - against those scum, to break their hearts was pure bliss. Also great after the belting we got last year from them.

Vs Richmond - Indigenous round, a supposed up and coming team, trounced them from the outset.

Vs St Kilda - a team that has had our measure, we dominated the whole game and should have had a bigger win.

Vs Melbourne - my personal hatred for the Demons aside, this was a great win if only for the fact that they have beaten us the last two times we played. Training run in the end.

Vs GWS - shocking performance, took them too lightly and they jumped us. Only their inability to run out games saved us.

I've shown you mine, now show me yours.

I'll just jump on one thing there, Fleggy...since when have St Kilda had our measure? They beat us last year but before that, had lost four on the trot to us despite being a better side during that streak.

My ranking would go:

1. Collingwood
2. Fremantle
3. Adelaide
4. Carlton
5. Richmond
6. St Kilda
7. Melbourne
8. GWS

Fremantle was by far our best win this year.

No other interstate side will go over there in 2013 and beat them.

6 goals down in the wet. Docker plebs are still filthy about it as well.
I'll admit, that's the one game that made me shed a tear, I was so damn proud.

Came close on Friday though.

/soft****

1. Carlton - Big stage, down by 5 goals, beat our biggest rival.
2. Fremantle - down by 6 goals, @ SUBI, whaaaat? who wins that game?
3. Collingwood - Good to finally dominate the pies after being dominated by them for years!
4. Adelaide - Great to get an interstate win in round 1
5. Melbourne - we won by 148 points.
6. Richmond - Beat the tigers like we should, though they are competing with a spot in the 8 with us. (would have been 5th but I thought a 148 point win needed to be top 5)
7. Saints - did what we had to do to get the 4 points.
8. GWS - only putting it on the list because we go the 4 points, was a terrible win.

Freo
Carlton
Collingwood

The rest are about even to me really, with GWS obviously being dead last.

Freo - They are a seriously good football team. We beat them at home, after trailing early and the entire football world against us.

Collingwood - Finally got to cheer on the big stage again, won in style.

Carlton - 5 goals down, win in the dying minutes to make those scum cry all cry.

Adelaide - What seemed great at the time looks less impressive now, still, we had a reigning prelim team first up and beat them at home.

Richmond - We were told they had a superior midfield, they were shown to be wrong.

Saints - Poor BJ, Smart BJ.

Melbourne - The death of a team only in round 2.

GWS - Early scare, then we woke up.

1. Freo - best defensive team in the comp, we beat them in a quarter
2. Richmond - total control against a team with plenty of good players. That was men against boys when it had no right to be
3. Collingwood
4. Carlton
5. Adelaide
6. Melbourne
7. St Kilda
8. GWS

1. Fremantle, how the hell anyone could have another game here, I have no idea. Down by 6 goals, low scoring game in the wet against probably the best defensive side in the comp, at Subiaco..

2. Carlton, another comeback, against one of our biggest rivalries.

3. Collingwood, enough said, exposed then for what they are. They'll get beaten on Monday too.

4. Richmond, asserted out authority. A real Sydney 06 performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo then daylight to Collingwood.

The rest should have all been wins so not tooting any horn there.
(Actually no one tipped us to beat Adelaide yet we still beat them even when they still had Walker. So that would be a distant third)

1. Fremantle - great win. Finals like pressure all night
2. Adelaide - important interstate win
3. Collingwood - one of our better four quarter performances of the year
4. St Kilda - one of our better four quarter performances of the year
5. Carlton - great fighting spirit but we didn't to much in the first half
5. Richmond - Richmond were off that night
7. Melbourne - Melbourne suck
8. GWS - We may of lost to any other team that day.

In terms of our best wins and the way we have played in matches, I think Richmond was our best all round performance of the season, strangled the life out of them and were in total control across the ground the entire game. Fremantle was a huge come from behind win against the odds with all the emotion that went on in the week leading up to it. The Collingwood game was a really good all round performance and to smash them on a big occasion was great. The crows win although seemed massive at the time is probably in hindsight a regulation win as is the saints, Giants and Melbourne (although 148 point wins don't come around all that often) and lastly the Carlton game was just a bloody beauty to watch them lose as much as it was great to see the Dons win.

Richmond
Fremantle
Collingwood
Carlton
Adelaide
Melbourne
St Kilda
GWS

1. Fremante. One of the top teams in the competition, away from home, and we had the strength to come back from a big way down. The only contender we have challenged.
2. Richmond. Dominated in almost every way. Made the gap between us and the final 8 'contenders' clear.
3. Adelaide. Dominated them after a slow start, away from home, straight out of the gate in the opening game of the season, while they still had Walker up and running and believed in themselves.
4. St Kilda. Dominated them in a professional manner throughout.
5. Melbourne. Ruthless like we haven't been in a long time.
6. Collingwood. Big win on the big stage, but they had half their side injured and were still in it in the 4th before we blew them away.
7. Carlton. Good comeback, but we played poorly and got lucky.
8. GWS. Phoned it in.

1. Fremantle
2. Collingwood
3. Carlton
4. Richmond
5. Adelaide

6. Melbourne
7. St Kilda
8. GWS

Probably a bit different to others but we all have our reasons.

1. Fremantle. Showed some serious ticker. Would've liked to do it without getting 6 goals down in the first place but to come back against Freo on their home deck and win is huge.
2. Richmond. This is the way you do it. Maul them from the outset (barring the first goal to Jack in the opening minute or so). Defensive structure all over the ground and 2 way running was the best it's been for years. Let's not forget Richmond were up and about coming into this game.
3. Adelaide. A serious statement game given the offseason we had. Who could forget Jobe's last quarter goal and subsequent celebration.
3. Collingwood. The Pies were undermanned but the pressure they applied was enormous. We withstood everything they threw at us then ran away with the game. Good sides do this.
5. Melbourne. Weak opposition but this is what I want to see from us against every lower side. We stuck to our structures and used it as a game day training run to fine tune for Freo imo.
6. St Kilda. Played very good football for a half before taking the foot off the pedal, I reckon due to the short turnaround to ANZAC day.
7. Carlton. Great comeback, but we were disgusting for 3 quarters. How many times can we turn the ball over coming back inside on our own HF line. The top sides would have put the game to bed well before 3/4 time, Carlton just aren't good enough to do this.
8. GWS. We expected to win, we did win, but we were given a rude shock. We should've learnt from this heading into the Brisbane game but we didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back