Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

So watching the replay and wtf is Pav doing...

He's basically brought attention to Fyfe and Walters incidents and implied both should miss time.

He is just commenting on the vision that Fox give them.

Seems like we are not allowed nice things.

You would be tempted to hand 4 points back if it meant Cox and McDonald wouldn't be out for most or all of the season depending on the severity of the injuries.

I think Cox is looking at 3+ months back minimum that wasn't a general strain looked more like a tear or tendon damage.

On the Lions gee you would be a little nervous if your a fan. This premiership window only stays open for so long to be 0-2 and Collingwood next game.

I dont recall too many premiers coming back from 0-3 start.

So watching the replay and wtf is Pav doing...

He's basically brought attention to Fyfe and Walters incidents and implied both should miss time.
Pav was still talking up Brisbane's chances of winning with 4 mins left down 5 goals.

The great man does his best to not be seen as bias he actually goes to the other extreme during his commentary.

Whenever the other side is looking like getting a roll on he is always quick to talk them up and talk down our boys.

I thought Emmett really added something. The pressure looks good in the forward half. The holding the ball moment wasn’t great but his eyes lit up big time as he saw the open goal, which I really like.
Got caught HTB a few times yesterday seemed the pace was a bit quick for him yesterday but i like his intent.

3 games in though back him in for 10-12 games and see how he goes should see improvement.

Got caught HTB a few times yesterday seemed the pace was a bit quick for him yesterday but i like his intent.

3 games in though back him in for 10-12 games and see how he goes should see improvement.
Yeah didn’t mind emmet. Could become a good role player in the mould of Mccreery from the pies

Not a knock on Emmett but I don't see him as a small forward, more a medium forward. In that role I'd prefer sturt long term even considering how far off it he looked off it in preseason. Probably prefers banners there too as he provides flexibility. For the small forward role would love to see Cooper Simpson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone run me through their thoughts on the Zorko - Young 50m penalty for the Lions' third goal? Should Zorko not have been asked to go back and kick over the mark? Was Young really penalised for encroaching a "mark" that was several metres AHEAD of where Zorko actually caught the ball? If so, how did the "mark" get moved upfield from the point where he caught the ball?

About 4 and a half minutes into the game on the game clock.

Not a knock on Emmett but I don't see him as a small forward, more a medium forward. In that role I'd prefer sturt long term even considering how far off it he looked off it in preseason. Probably prefers banners there too as he provides flexibility. For the small forward role would love to see Cooper Simpson.
I certainly wouldn’t rule out Sturt on that back on that one scratchy 2 weeks ago, like I’ve seen some commentary on.

Yes he was poor but (a) he is still recovering from a meniscus knee injury, something notoriously hard to get over quickly, and (b) he was not the only bad performer that day. Josh Treacy was, quite frankly, hideous in that game too, equally as bad as Sturt but he was superb last night. Career best stuff from JT.
I’ve seen enough from Sturt in the back half of last season to show he has a knack for kicking goals at his best, that we don’t have very much of.
We won’t dominate out of the centre like yesteray in every game. When we are only breaking even with the good midfields, we need clinical forwards to convert the limited chances they will get.

Fyfe is critical to the midfield too. He frees up Serong and Brayshaw to spread so well. It’s a perfect mix really.

Pav was still talking up Brisbane's chances of winning with 4 mins left down 5 goals.

The great man does his best to not be seen as bias he actually goes to the other extreme during his commentary.

Whenever the other side is looking like getting a roll on he is always quick to talk them up and talk down our boys.
I'm pretty sure the broadcasters (FF or 7) orchestrate at least one or two of the commentators to take on the perspective of one of the sides. Especially when teams from different states are involved. So that way the viewers/supporters can feel vindicated (and more inclined to watch even if their side is struggling). They had both Pav and Kath Loughnan (plus 2 other "West Aussies") on the panel, Pav could easily be the one to have that role.

Likewise I could imagine Pav wanting to be "objective", but not quite get the swing to the middle to land bang on either.

Fyfe is critical to the midfield too. He frees up Serong and Brayshaw to spread so well. It’s a perfect mix really.

His ability to attract the tackle, absurd it and still get the handball out was really important at times yesterday.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I thought Switta was huge today. So many crucial pressure acts and it felt like every time the ball was in the air he would force a contest despite the height mismatch.
Thought his smother was catalytic. Just threw himself on the boot.

Not disagreeing that I find Pav unbiased to the point of over-compensating, but talking up the closeness of the game is pretty much part of their media training isn't it?
"North are are 100 points down with 10 minutes to go, do you think the Tiges have done enough, Richo?"
"Oh I'd say it all hinges on the next goal, BT. A couple in a row and they'll just get a sniff."
"Don't touch that dial, folks"

Not disagreeing that I find Pav unbiased to the point of over-compensating, but talking up the closeness of the game is pretty much part of their media training isn't it?
"North are are 100 points down with 10 minutes to go, do you think the Tiges have done enough, Richo?"
"Oh I'd say it all hinges on the next goal, BT. A couple in a row and they'll just get a sniff."
"Don't touch that dial, folks"

If we get stuck with Will Schofield all year for WA based games i may have to resort to dubbing the radio over Fox Footys coverage.

Pav is a s**t commentator, like Jacko used to be. Just says the most obvious stuff, brings no insight and can't bring himself to talk up his old team and anytime in case he gets offside with the Victorian mafia (fox footy team)

I'd rather Barlow or Spurr anyone else really...looks like we have to put up with Schofield as well

A couple of random things. Others have mentioned most of what I saw. I'll just add:

-Liked Sharp's game. Looked....sharp (oh dear). Really liked his last line of defense mark and pumping the ball into our 50 (8 I50s). Runs hard. Much better kick than I was led to believe. Bloody strange the Suns let him walk to us for free.

-Walters's run - chase - tackle game was outstanding.

-Treacy is a much better 2nd ruck than I thought. Happy to put my hand up and say I got that wrong.

-Jordy Clark handed Charlie Cameron a new one defensively and racked up 24 himself. Brillo

A couple of random things. Others have mentioned most of what I saw. I'll just add:

-Liked Sharp's game. Looked....sharp (oh dear). Really liked his last line of defense mark and pumping the ball into our 50 (8 I50s). Runs hard. Much better kick than I was led to believe. Bloody strange the Suns let him walk to us for free.

-Walters's run - chase - tackle game was outstanding.

-Treacy is a much better 2nd ruck than I thought. Happy to put my hand up and say I got that wrong.

-Jordy Clark handed Charlie Cameron a new one defensively and racked up 24 himself. Brillo

I’ve been telling yas he is very good backup ruck with little fwd craft. Now obviously I got that last part wrong (at least last night)

That was his best game for freo yesterday. Loved his physicality, especially in the ruck.

He looked a determined player, just can’t drink the bath water and back it up v North.

I thought our composure was a bit shaky in the final quarter though.
We got let off the hook by some bad misses from them. Had Lohmann and Hipwood kicked those two goals we might have been under severe pressure.
That’s definitely something to improve on. A few times in the first 10 min of the final quarter we were out and attacking and one more goal would have killed it off but some players made some really poor decisions and butchered what should have been easy goals, leaving them in the game.
Happy to put the fumbling in the last quarter down to game one fatigue late on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back