Prediction Rd 1 (you know: the first round after the opening round) team

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs in the pre season was a long long way off AFL standard. No leap, no separation from his defender. Some guy will take 15 intercept marks playing on him. For the love of god please leave him out of the team and see if he can find form at peel.
he looked woeful, like really bad.

everyone saw when he took that (rare!) mark, tried to unselfishly dish off and fed it straight to the oppo player on the mark, right?

absolute brainfart, he is rusty af and shouldn't be anywhere near our FWD line atm.

he looked woeful, like really bad.

everyone saw when he took that (rare!) mark, tried to unselfishly dish off and fed it straight to the oppo player on the mark, right?

absolute brainfart, he is rusty af and shouldn't be anywhere near our FWD line atm.
Voss should play, Treacy and Jackson to ruck.
Tabs and Sturt need a few games at Peel at least
Treacy is probably lucky he can pinch hit in the ruck.
If that fails badly then Reidy/Knobel should play and we retain the forward
line worked on in preseason.

I really don't see it happening, but Reidy should play. It's not a question of who the best ruck is, but the question should be why did we recruit Jackson. And that was to be a forward/ruck/impact mid, someone who can generate mismatches wherever he goes. I think we lose a lot more everywhere else on the ground than we gain with him leading the ruck.

If it was just a week of no Darcy, maybe you'd just make do without a second ruck. But for a month or so, especially at the start of the season, it's not the time to completely change the structure we've planned for all preseason. Especially with our key forwards not exactly lighting it up in the practice games.

b: Ryan - Pearce - Wagner
hb: Aish - McDonald - Clark
c: Sharp - Young - Johnson
hf: Frederick - Jackson - Switkowski
f: Emmett - Amiss - Walters
r: Reidy - Serong - Brayshaw

i: Fyfe - Treacy - O'Meara - Hughes

sub: Simpson

I wanted Simpson in the starting team, but realistically we needed an extra defender in the 22 - so Hughes makes his way in as he tends to. The only spot up for grabs was really the small defender, and I don't really mind who gets it out of Walker, Wagner and Worner. Wagner provides the run, but the others would probably be stronger defensively - I suspect Aish will get more shut down roles this year.

But we'll probably just end up going smaller with Banfield replacing Reidy.
I agree in principle, but Reidy has to meet a minimum level for it to be the better outcome. Maybe he can do that, I don't know.

Also, we better not go smaller, we know it doesn't work from last year.

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Coop gets a debut very early in the season. Jlo showered him with praise the other night but also mentioned that he “has a few things to work on” which is generally code for “going to spend a few weeks at Peel”

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Coop gets a debut very early in the season. Jlo showered him with praise the other night but also mentioned that he “has a few things to work on” which is generally code for “going to spend a few weeks at Peel”
Throwing a 17 or 18 year old into the fire first up is a tough gig - would prefer he eased into playing against men a bit myself. AFL players can really hurt young guys.

Brizzy going to tear us a new one! Hopefully it’s close enough, and we can see some positive gameplan action
My concern is round 1 is always scrappy, blowing out the cobwebs.

The fact the AWFL has managed to implement yet another bias to the competition by splitting the first round, means that we’ll be coming up against a ladder leader that has already blown out the cobwebs whilst we’ll still be fumbling and bumbling as well as JLo through a press conference. Can’t see it being pretty.

I really don't see it happening, but Reidy should play. It's not a question of who the best ruck is, but the question should be why did we recruit Jackson. And that was to be a forward/ruck/impact mid, someone who can generate mismatches wherever he goes. I think we lose a lot more everywhere else on the ground than we gain with him leading the ruck.

If it was just a week of no Darcy, maybe you'd just make do without a second ruck. But for a month or so, especially at the start of the season, it's not the time to completely change the structure we've planned for all preseason. Especially with our key forwards not exactly lighting it up in the practice games.

b: Ryan - Pearce - Wagner
hb: Aish - McDonald - Clark
c: Sharp - Young - Johnson
hf: Frederick - Jackson - Switkowski
f: Emmett - Amiss - Walters
r: Reidy - Serong - Brayshaw

i: Fyfe - Treacy - O'Meara - Hughes

sub: Simpson

I wanted Simpson in the starting team, but realistically we needed an extra defender in the 22 - so Hughes makes his way in as he tends to. The only spot up for grabs was really the small defender, and I don't really mind who gets it out of Walker, Wagner and Worner. Wagner provides the run, but the others would probably be stronger defensively - I suspect Aish will get more shut down roles this year.

But we'll probably just end up going smaller with Banfield replacing Reidy.
Have to agree, I really don't want us losing Jackson as a forward, it's just so valuable having JJJ in the forward line.

Throwing a 17 or 18 year old into the fire first up is a tough gig - would prefer he eased into playing against men a bit myself. AFL players can really hurt young guys.
i agree. except Coops reminds me of Serong with his quiet confidence in his ability. I predict, like Serong, he will get a go on the back of an injury relatively quickly and they will have difficulty sending him out again by his performances.

Have to agree, I really don't want us losing Jackson as a forward, it's just so valuable having JJJ in the forward line.
Do we get more out of Voss or Reidy? Either way Jackson will likely still need to spend considerable time in ruck. The exact amount might vary a little, but not that much.

Do we get more out of Voss or Reidy? Either way Jackson will likely still need to spend considerable time in ruck. The exact amount might vary a little, but not that much.
Voss looks more ready, I'd give it to him, Reidy I don't see being more than a WAFL level ruckman.

????? Voss means Jackson is 85% (all of his TOG) in the ruck with Treacy the other 15%.
Reidy means Jackson more likely 40-50% ruck and the remaining 35-45% in the forward line.

????? Voss means Jackson is 85% (all of his TOG) in the ruck with Treacy the other 15%.
Reidy means Jackson more likely 40-50% ruck and the remaining 35-45% in the forward line.
Jackson's number 1 ruck regardless of Reidy playing or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article is pay walled, is this a journo's opinion? Or is there word from the club that Switta could be moving to half back? Almost certain it's the former

Article is pay walled, is this a journo's opinion? Or is there word from the club that Switta could be moving to half back? Almost certain it's the former

Someone else on this forum mentioned about a month and a half ago that they club has been talking about playing him off half back.....

Someone else on this forum mentioned about a month and a half ago that they club has been talking about playing him off half back.....
Worth trying at Peel first, Wagner can play that role but didnt get a go this pre season

I'm confused by the headline. Quaynor, Coleman and Saad don't really play anything like each other, and switta plays nothing like any of them. I guess he could turn into a Saad type, but Quaynor or Coleman? Nah

Looks like Tabs or Reidy if the West have any info.

Fremantle recruit Jeremy Sharp to make final case for round one Dockers debut in pre-season Peel Thunder clash​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Fri, 8 March 2024 7:32AM
Mitchell Woodcock
Jeremy Sharp will get one last shot to lock in a spot on a wing for Fremantle’s round one clash against Brisbane when he suits up for Peel Thunder in their pre-season clash on Saturday.
It comes as the Dockers appear to be weighing up whether to play forward Matt Taberner or a second recognised ruckman in Liam Reidy to replace injured star Sean Darcy.

Looks like Tabs or Reidy if the West have any info.

Fremantle recruit Jeremy Sharp to make final case for round one Dockers debut in pre-season Peel Thunder clash​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Fri, 8 March 2024 7:32AM
Mitchell Woodcock
Jeremy Sharp will get one last shot to lock in a spot on a wing for Fremantle’s round one clash against Brisbane when he suits up for Peel Thunder in their pre-season clash on Saturday.
It comes as the Dockers appear to be weighing up whether to play forward Matt Taberner or a second recognised ruckman in Liam Reidy to replace injured star Sean Darcy.
I’d say Voss - he has been named for Peel. He was the pick of the options when considering Banfield, Sturt, Tabs and Reidy. Sharp, Voss, Wagner and Walker all named for Peel.

Tabs was crapola in both games. Reidy some chance but he was bog average as well.

Also Cox not named for Peel pretty much rules him out. There was an article last week that Freo would look to get Cox some practice match mins with Peel in order to push his case but he isn’t named.

Good chance we see four debutants:
Sharp, McDonald, Voss and Simpson in the 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back