Preview Rd. 8. Changes v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The best response is to take into account the way the player plays. Brad averages 27.7 disposals and 6.5 tackles whilst O'Meara averages 21.8 and 2.5. Either Brad is a significantly better footballer with his 69.7% TOG v 78.8% or he is actually working a damn sight harder when he's not on the pine.

Stupid discussion really, output when on is what's important, just looking at TOG % is barely half the story. I'm sure everyone here would much rather JOM because he can loiter on the field much longer every game.

I'm more worried about Brad's DE (%) than his TOG.

If he keeps kicking it straight to the opposition, then the less TOG the better.

Because Troy Menzel has Elite attributes. Yes he fades in and out of games, and hasnt lived up to a lot of his potential, yet. But he does have freakish ability.

Neither Wright or VB have these. They were safe ins, who really added nothing to the teams dynamic
A whole damn lot more fading out than fading in....you could be excused for thinking he was the invisible man until you look at the stat sheet and see he's had a couple of touches, to say he's been anything other than a major disappointment at this juncture is disingenuous.

I find it very believable that he'd go out there whilst 60% right. It's easier to believe than us telling him to take a week off for the benefit of himself and team.
I think they're being a lot more conservative with injuries this year. That's why Talia came off at the first sign of hamstring tightness, and Lever isn't playing this weekend, possibly also explains Milera's absence last weekend.

Historically, I'd agree with you. Things appear to be different this year. They seem a lot less willing to select players who are borderline these days.

A whole damn lot more fading out than fading in....you could be excused for thinking he was the invisible man until you look at the stat sheet and see he's had a couple of touches, to say he's been anything other than a major disappointment at this juncture is disingenuous.

100% agree, but you can't say he doesnt have elite attributes. Something the others dont have. Just needs to get consistency.
Personally wouldv'e picked Beech and Greenwood ahead of he and Lynch

I think they're being a lot more conservative with injuries this year. That's why Talia came off at the first sign of hamstring tightness, and Lever isn't playing this weekend, possibly also explains Milera's absence last weekend.

Historically, I'd agree with you. Things appear to be different this year. They seem a lot less willing to select players who are borderline these days.

JJ's return was clearly a week early. At least at AFL level.

JJ's return was clearly a week early. At least at AFL level.
Yes, and no. The injury was healed, at least to the point where playing wouldn't make it worse - so it's a "no" from that perspective. He was probably still only 80% though, and JJ at anything less than 98% isn't terribly productive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really? how sweet.... I guess you're just happy to see the boys play
I wanna win and I understand frustration, but you honestly think we are going to lose tomorrow??

Better take your tissues just in case we win, seen as that appears unlikely to you

In what way is seeing Menzel's name on the list any different to seeing VB's or Wright's?
Well, he hasn't achieved as much as those guys as a footballer. :)

But really he hasn't had nearly the same amount of opportunity to prove he's not good enough.

I still hope he'll sort his s**t out and have a good run of games.

Well, he hasn't achieved as much as those guys as a footballer. :)

But really he hasn't had nearly the same amount of opportunity to prove he's not good enough.

I still hope he'll sort his s**t out and have a good run of games.
Menzel has to improve significantly if he is to match VB's output from 2015 - the year he returned from his achilles injury, and arguably the worst season of VB's career. The chances of Menzel improving to match VB's output from 2007-2012 are vanishingly small.

Last edited:
No Hogan? Replaced by Neil-Bullen or Wiedeman. Is there any need for Otten in the backline now. We are going to be either too tall in attack or too tall in defence. By tall I mainly mean slow.

I would like to see Greenwood for Otten.

No Hogan? Replaced by Neil-Bullen or Wiedeman. Is there any need for Otten in the backline now. We are going to be either too tall in attack or too tall in defence. By tall I mainly mean slow.

I would like to see Greenwood for Otten.

??????

Wiedeman I would think replaces Hogan, like for like, Weideman 195cm 95Kg developing Forward and a top 10 draft pick in 2015.

Milera has to improve significantly if he is to match VB's output from 2015 - the year he returned from his achilles injury, and arguably the worst season of VB's career.

Significantly? Milera's output this season has been statistically similar to VB's 2015.

Milera ahead: disposals, effective disposals, clangers (fewer), goal assists, uncontested possessions
Similar: clearances, kicks, contested possessions, goals
Van Berlo ahead: marks, tackles, inside 50s, rebound 50s

Of course that's a second year player we're talking about. Milera averaging 17 disposals, 14 effective. Van Berlo's best season? 24 touches, 16 effective.

Ridiculous to think Milera couldn't match VB's output with development under his belt. Not to mention Milera is an outside midfielder with far better disposal and decision making, whereas VB did a fair bit of inside work over his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back