Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be interesting to consider how Neale would have fared against Weitering.

Hawkins isn't mobile and Weitering matched him for strength. Hawkins was basically there to keep him in a position and not run off until the point where it was clear Hawk wasn't being targeted

Neale wouldn't match him for strength but could Weitering really then go and play loose? I don't think he could with the way we rebound. If the ball is kicked into space Neale would leave Weitering in the dust for leg speed. A clear run at the ball and Neale can find space so you can't ignore him. There's also no other obvious match ups for Weitering.

In a slow build up game Weitering would smash Neale and it's not a conversation, but if Neale is running like a second Stanley and we're going for fast rebounds then I think Neale presents a bigger challenge for weitering than Hawkins simply because he can apply both defensive and offensive pressure.

Probably best though he didn't play, because if he went in and played decoy like Hawkins did people would be howling for him to be delisted.
We play them again soon maybe we try Neale in that game and see how it goes

'Due a loss' is one of my pet hates. We're 'due' in the sense that regression to mean implies we'll lose one soon enough and people will take that as evidence they were right.
I’m sorry but no team in the history of the sport has gone through undefeated.
Maybe the word “due” doesn’t fit the narrative but we will lose a game sooner rather than later.

When does Scott reveal that rumours of Stewart training to play midfield time in preseason are in fact true?

No Danger for 6 weeks, defence settled nicely last week.

Maybe just another rotation in the cats " figure out our next move game plan" ?

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't there talk of Zac Guthrie playing midfield time as well yet both the Guthries back there lacked comfortable. Id think at Stewarts age id leave him where he is an AA level player

I think you could have nailed it. Dempsey will no doubt get a rest sometime over the next few games - it will just be a matter of MC determining when best time for him and maybe match up. He has been valuable in his sprint efforts (our top each week) on the wing but maybe with less damaging Melbourne forward line not needed as much (and someone else can step in?).

Plus Rohan does have to get a shot. Maybe as sub? Although getting Parfitt a rest via sub is also smart

I am not 100% sure that Stewart will be back. They will be conservative and at 7-0 there is no point taking any risks at all. Again I reckon our backline handles Demons forwards without him.

One of Dempsey's best attributes is his evasiveness - popping on that wing like a ghost and we played through him. He's building a bond with Holmes and Miers in particular, and feel like he needs that continuity, if fit. Just improve goal kicking and find the target, keep improving against quality opposition. He stays for mine.

One of Dempsey's best attributes is his evasiveness - popping on that wing like a ghost and we played through him. He's building a bond with Holmes and Miers in particular, and feel like he needs that continuity, if fit. Just improve goal kicking and find the target, keep improving against quality opposition. He stays for mine.
Likewise.

I would like to give a rest at some point though .. A full rest not subbed

Frankly, I think that if Neale had played, Weitering would have likewise given him a bath. That said, that isn't a strong argument for not playing a five-game key forward, because you kind of accept with those players that their first fifty to seventy games are really at the expense of the team.

PS - right now, I do NOT want a "second Stanley" :)
Haha I'm only saying he can run and is tall like Stanley

TBH given Blicavs hasn't been at his usual level this year, and our midfield all of a sudden looks quite deep, I wouldn't be opposed to playing his as no.1 ruck this week against Gawn given how bad Stanley was against Carlton and my concern that Conway doesn't have to fitness to go with Gawn for a whole game.

I doubt it happens though, and can easily convince myself it's a horrible idea, so I'll see myself out.

Why not have both? We are hard task masters on Stanley, and rightly so given inconsistency. It's not an easy job, I don't mind his work as a disruptive tall around the ground. As for last week, Pittonett has been really firing this year and was always going to be a problem. As Scott says, sometimes it's just beaten by a better player.
Think we just live in hope until Conway can work up.

When does Scott reveal that rumours of Stewart training to play midfield time in preseason are in fact true?

No Danger for 6 weeks, defence settled nicely last week.

Maybe just another rotation in the cats " figure out our next move game plan" ?

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can only imagine Scott and co sitting around laughing about it now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with nearly everything but I would say the while the probability of Neale pushing him out is not high, it's also not zero.

We are all about back half rebounding and Neale has the tools to make that work well in his favour. Still talking like 10% but Jim Carey says it's a chance

Scott has said Neale will get games this season so I expect he will follow through on that and we will see Shannon play a few either in place of or along side Hawk.
I totally agree with you as per bolded - Neale has the athletic profile to complement our fast ball movement game style.
Hawk has slowed down considerably and exerts minimal defensive pressure - Neale definitely has him covered there.

With the game getting quicker each year I suspect this may be Hawks last season and Neale will be his replacement once Hawk hangs up the boots on a truly stellar career.

On the Couch..

Lyon says ... we bring back Zac Guthrie .. and then Carlton who probably prepared for him but Geelong put him down back ( derrr Cam Gathrie )

Buckley says... yes and then he kicked three goals... ( derrr. Zac 2e)

Not than unusaul I guess... yesterday I heard them on SEN go on an on about the Jack Henry mark on the line ..whether it was a mark or a point (derr Ollie )

Putting that aside ... yes the attention geelong are getting attention. Did we get that in 2022? I think that the down side of hitting form early is the attention you gather. Miers for example. Almost certainly going to get more attention with the focus they put upon him.
The post game debate about umpiring decisions is one of the worst things about sports analysis, especially when the decision is clearly correct like that mark. How is it even a debate. Gerard Healy also made a point of Ollie Henry getting away with a push.
It’s selective analysis, if you’re going to debate one (according to your opinion) contentious free kick, then you need to analyze ever single one.

It’s so boring and just fuels fans hatred and conspiracy theories

Scott has said Neale will get games this season so I expect he will follow through on that and we will see Shannon play a few either in place of or along side Hawk.
I totally agree with you as per bolded - Neale has the athletic profile to complement our fast ball movement game style.
Hawk has slowed down considerably and exerts minimal defensive pressure - Neale definitely has him covered there.

With the game getting quicker each year I suspect this may be Hawks last season and Neale will be his replacement once Hawk hangs up the boots on a truly stellar career.
I want to see Neale in Darwin and then we reassess after Hawkins breaks the record

But does "due a loss" actually make sense? No more than you are "due a red" on the roulette table after 5 blacks in a row. Which isn't something that's real.

If you provided more information like "I think the boys are looking tired" or "I have a feeling we will be complacent" or "Melbourne match up well on us" - fair enough. But being due a loss or performance just for the sake of it isn't really a concept that makes sense. We have done plenty wrong on this 7-0 journey, it is not like we have been impossibly flawless.

TBF the poster didn't actually say due a loss, although I like your analogy for anyone who thinks that way.
Saying anything can happen between now and finals is a good way to put the brakes on expectations, sort of an Irish viewpoint on luck. :).
Winning every game puts real pressure on, even if it's what we aim for and want and the rest of the pack hate.

The post game debate about umpiring decisions is one of the worst things about sports analysis, especially when the decision is clearly correct like that mark. How is it even a debate. Gerard Healy also made a point of Ollie Henry getting away with a push.
It’s selective analysis, if you’re going to debate one (according to your opinion) contentious free kick, then you need to analyze ever single one.

It’s so boring and just fuels fans hatred and conspiracy theories

Agree but you can't fight human nature, or the one eyed supporter looking for excuses. Or the fact umpires make occasional mistakes. Also accept the fact they'll let things go if it's a close last quarter.
I personally spewed blood when SDK got his head pulled off at a vital part of the game. Cue a minute of umpire abuse here from the usually rational. As you say, there will be an accidental evener up somewhere, it's totally ridiculous to say the fix is in.

Last edited:
Why are people saying “give Stewart another weeks rest”? He would’ve played against Blues if it were up to him.
He probably wouldn’t have gone off the ground if it were up to him. Maybe list it as a brain injury and look after the long term welfare of the player.

I want to see Neale in Darwin and then we reassess after Hawkins breaks the record

Darwin of all games, why? Ball is slipperier than a 'wet bar of soap', if not this week against Melbourne then definitely against Port Adelaide. If Chris and MC don't play Shannon Neale in either of these two games then they are becoming to Tommy Hawkins bias and prejudice, not the way to go. We also badly need games into Shannon Neale, even if it means we play him and Tommy in same game or otherwise just rest Big Tom for a game. But please play him sooner rather than later, as at the very least we can find out where we are at with Shannon regards heading towards latter part of season and who knows?......... maybe a final game or two if he comes good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back