Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am a little suprised that we are managing two in this game. I thought they might manage 1 to get Rohan in (although my meat tray was no managed player) but to do two midfielders and bring back Clark surprised me. I don’t know whether there is anything to read into it or just good management of players ahead of two 6 day breaks?

Clark wasn’t really managed given he played VFL but maybe they figured two subs in a row before that was enough?

I do think that Rohan will be sub rather than Dempsey or Duncan and they can then manage one or both of those fully against Port to bring MOC and parfait back in. In some ways better for Rohan as he will dominate when he comes on given fresh legs and his pace. He could be a difference maker and then build confidence and be back in 22 against Port.

No double in my mind they manage Dempsey, Duncan, Henry over next few weeks as well as Hawk against suns. May also manage a defender and another small forward. 1 or 2 managed a week over next month? Plus Toby and Stanley swapping. That still doesn’t really help in my view people like Hardie, Knevitt and Mannagh without injuries (ie. they can manage 2 a week within the 26 Sqaud plus Neale and Toby for specific roles

I was worried about Carlton. Less so Melbourne. Less again Poort.

I think Melbourne we should be more comfortable than against the Blues but also I expect them to adapt better defensively and Fritsch and Pickett are types we historically struggle against

Port Adelaide looked hopeless tonight. And Rozee, Georgiardies, Marshall injured. Good chance next week at GMHBA stadium for Geelong to try some of the players burning up the VFL.

Just thinking about managing players over next little while.

This week Parf and MOC getting managed

No VFL next round so will have Parf and MOC straight back into AFL for Port Game.

If no injuries then that means at least 2 managed against Port. And frankly I can’t see us managing 3 at this time of year - looks disrespectful? Plus we have never managed 3 in one game I don’t think so…

The only exception to that might be Toby for Stanley and possibly Hawkins but I doubt it as then we have 4 managed which I just can’t see us doing.

Which means that I can’t see any new players out of VFL team getting a look in.

I would think Dempsey gets a rest against Port (unless he has a cracker of a game in which case they might wait until GC in Darwin) and then we need to find someone else to rest. Maybe Duncan or Blitz? I suppose it might depend on how people play and pull up against Melbourne.

I think then Hawkins gets a rest against Gold Coast and Neale gets a crack then (or maybe not if Rohan is firing?!)

Without injuries this management thing will get tricky given the genuine 26-28 players we have available who are part of that “rotation”

Rohan is logical in the sense that they were going to want to try him soon and it gives dempsey a rest as sub. I doubt hes best 22 but he needs some games in case people get injured.

MOC surprises me more because tactically i figured he would be our run with player on petracca. Will be interesting to see what we do there.

Conway will come in for stanley next week.
Atkins could play a run with role if needed as can Blicavs at times.
We’ve lost some defensive mids in O’Connor and Parfitt. But Blicavs, Atkins, Clark and Bruhn can pick that up. Assume Guthrie will play more midfield time and he runs both ways.
Good to have Rohan back in, I think there’s some impactful games in Rohan on the run to finals.

I know there’s hopefully more noise outside of cats fans on Hawkins impact this season. But despite not having as much influence this year he’s still playing a really big role in the forward line. There’s a lot of off ball work he’s doing both physically on defenders and opening space for others plus taking the best key defender away from the play.
He’ll have some games this year where he plays against weaker opponents and finds his form with the ball. Last week he could’ve taken a couple of marks that came his way which may have resulted in scores. They’ll come, Neale has improved a lot this season but we’d see a drop in impact at the moment if he replaced Hawkins.

He can deal with it when his contract expires at the end of this year. Meanwhile he continues to be in the AFL top ten for goal assists and has Doug Wade's record in his sights, as well as a premiership tilt. Let him roll.

This week so far we are going to ditch Stanley, Parfitt, Dempsey, Hawk, Ollie, Blics and any other BF outcasts- but Touhey is back in favour. Funny that.
Flag to win.

That matters more than H and A records

Looks like someone is getting gifted games.
Knevitt and Hardie getting zero love.
Knevitt seems to be on the outer. He is an imposing type at 193cm and surely will get some interest from other clubs. I like the look of Hardie, he is a genuine midfielder playing good football who is entering his prime years. It would be a pity not to give him a chance to show what he can do at AFL level. Clark as a high draft pick is being given special treatment but from what I've seen is nowhere near being a walkup starter yet. I'm not too concerned, the coaches will be weighing all of this up and making informed decisions.

Will be good to get Rohan back, although I suspect he’ll be sub. We’ve lost 3 midfielders this week so I think it’s unlikely Clark will be sub.
Rohan is a beast in defensive pressure in our F50. It’s yet another variable for oppo coaches to deal with.
Interesting listening to Ling on watching Hawkins playing on Weitering.
Apparently Ling was at the game with his kids near the cheer squad, so close to the goals and the fence.
He payed close attention to Hawkins off the ball and felt that Hawkins running patterns and work to make Weitering accountable was elite. Looking back on the game, I feel he very much negated Weiterings impact that he normally has as an intercept mark player.
If Hawkins can just keep May honest, then job done!
With Rohan and Henry and Cameron to contend with, Lever and Petty will have their heads spinning!!! Bring the ball to ground and let Miers, Stengle and Close get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone must really dislike Hardie at Geelong. Clark may have a higher ceiling long term but surely we'd have Hardie over Clark performance wise? Are we keeping these older guys on layaway for next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be good to get Rohan back, although I suspect he’ll be sub. We’ve lost 3 midfielders this week so I think it’s unlikely Clark will be sub.
Rohan is a beast in defensive pressure in our F50. It’s yet another variable for oppo coaches to deal with.
Interesting listening to Ling on watching Hawkins playing on Weitering.
Apparently Ling was at the game with his kids near the cheer squad, so close to the goals and the fence.
He payed close attention to Hawkins off the ball and felt that Hawkins running patterns and work to make Weitering accountable was elite. Looking back on the game, I feel he very much negated Weiterings impact that he normally has as an intercept mark player.
If Hawkins can just keep May honest, then job done!
With Rohan and Henry and Cameron to contend with, Lever and Petty will have their heads spinning!!! Bring the ball to ground and let Miers, Stengle and Close get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously? I was staggered at Ling's rose coloured view of Hawkins negating role on Weitering. First, why is Hawkins, an elite full forward, playing a negating role on a full back who is meant to be playing a negating role on him? It implies that Hawkins value as a goal kicker is no longer important. It also implies that Hawkins is an inferior player to Weitering. Weitering was one of Carlton's best players, had 19 disposals and took a game high 10 intercept marks. Where was Tom Hawkins while his opponent was impacting the game? SEN rated Weitering's performance an A while Hawkins was rated a C-. Sure Hawkins did some valuable things especially his ruckwork around goal but his impact was limited. Cleary Ling loves Tomahawk but he should not let it interfere with giving an accurate appraisal based on all the evidence at hand.

Last edited:
Given his new role, Tom Hawkins will play a negating role on Steven May against Melbourne on Saturday night. Kicking goals is no longer one of Hawkins' KPI's. From now on Hawkins is to be a decoy, a beautiful decoy, trying to lure his opponent away from the incoming ball.

Seriously? I was staggered at Ling's rose coloured view of Hawkins negating role on Weitering. First, why is Hawkins, an elite full forward, playing a negating role on a full back who is meant to be playing a negating role on him? It implies that Hawkins value as a goal kicker is no longer important. It also implies that Hawkins is an inferior player to Weitering. Weitering was one of Carlton's best players, had 19 disposals and took a game high 10 intercept marks. Where was Tom Hawkins while his opponent was impacting the game? SEN rated Weitering's performance an A while Hawkins was rated a C-. Sure Hawkins did some valuable things especially his ruckwork around goal but his impact was limited. Cleary Ling loves Tomahawk but he should not let it interfere with giving an accurate appraisal based on all the evidence at hand.
Weitering was good as he has been in all but one of his games this season. He hit his markers without being a match winner. Cameron and Henry were off the chain. So while I wouldn't be dousing Hawkins in praise, I also think overall our plan worked. More so than if we targeted Hawkins 18 times (like they did with Curnow) as opposed to 4, and Hawkins had 2 goals but Weitering ran the game at the other Geelong forwards expense.

Given his new role, Tom Hawkins will play a negating role on Steven May against Melbourne on Saturday night. Kicking goals is no longer one of Hawkins' KPI's. From now on Hawkins is to be a decoy, a beautiful decoy, trying to lure his opponent away from the incoming ball.
What's the point of taking it this far and being sarcastic, snide and with no little mocking of what has been a champion player? Yes, Hawkins has struggled the past 3 games. He has runs on the board and they are backing him in for now. If it continues, Neale will get his chance.

It's pathetic to pot shot player and posters alike to make your point, though. And beneath you.

What's the point of taking it this far and being sarcastic, snide and with no little mocking of what has been a champion player? Yes, Hawkins has struggled the past 3 games. He has runs on the board and they are backing him in for now. If it continues, Neale will get his chance.

It's pathetic to pot shot player and posters alike to make your point, though. And beneath you.
I'm not having a go at Tomahawk, I'm just suggesting he is down on form. I greatly admire Hawkins for his stellar career. However, I am having a go at the people who think it is all part of a master plan where his primary goal is to be a decoy so others can kick goals. And you are right, I was being sarcastic.

I'm not having a go at Tomahawk, I'm just suggesting he is down on form. I greatly admire Hawkins for his stellar career. However, I am having a go at the people who think it is all part of a master plan where his primary goal is to be a decoy so others can kick goals. And you are right, I was being sarcastic.
Honestly I'd just give him these 2 weeks. That's a 5 week block of extended form if his output matches the last 3 games. I'd say KPP's are "harder" to drop so they are less trigger happy. Especially if their line is otherwise functioning really well. We might not agree with it, but that's what I see across the league. It's a tough life being a young ruckman, KPD or KPF.

If Jez and Henry are going to kick 8 between them every game I don’t care if Hawkins is goalless for the rest of the season.

Precisely. Hence named at FF is Thomas Hawkins and not Shannon Neale.
My point is more so that at this point - being 7 and 0 - if we drop an H and A game, even against a fellow contender, it’s not the end of the world.

In 2011 and 2022, we used our jump on the H and A seasons to rest and rotate, and have our players cherry ripe by September.

Hawkins does look really poor at the moment. If he’s out of form, or in decline, then I agree that he is still better than Neale. But if he is creaking and sore - week off, no matter who we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back